PDA

View Full Version : Stupid idea or good one? A/C compressor issue...

Slacker
12-05-2007, 09:03 PM
So, for the life of my car in my possession (over a year now), I've known that my A/C compressor was shot. It's no danger when it's not engaged, but when it does, the whole thing locks up like it's belt hungry. :rolleyes:

Long story short, I didn't use any A/C related options in my system. (This includes front defrost). Well, it's winter as we all know, and I was leaving the diner the other day and my car was fogged to the point of no vision... I NEEDED the defrost option!

Thinking on my feet, I decided to simply pull the power plug away from the A/C compressor so that it was impossible for it in engage even on the settings that would call for it. I did so, and used the defrost with out a problem on the ride home.

My question is, is it really safe to do this? Is there only one plug that runs to the compressor (because I only pulled one out).

Any input is appreciated. :)

Tuddi
12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Don't worry about a thing. If it is unplugged, it is unplugged. Nothing bad will happen because of that.

If there were no other wires leading from the unit, connecting other things, there sure as heck aren't any other devices going to be shut down.

You managed to use your defroster after this, and without any problems right? If yes, then there you have the obvious answer :)

LordDurock
12-05-2007, 09:46 PM
yea just unplug it and that well not harm the car in anyway.

notsoslimshady76
12-05-2007, 10:54 PM
That's a great idea! I never thought of doing that. I hate losing that bit of power when the compressor comes on since the A/C doesn't work in my Supreme.

As for Shake n Bake. Still has the original R-12 and blows Ice Cold! What a great car

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I just did this on my STE AWD, since the new AC control was bad, I was to lazy to take it back out, so I just unplugged the compressor.. Does not harm a thing.

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 12:07 AM
it should'nt you just do give power the electromagnitic clutch.

Jr's3800
12-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Yes Unplugging the Compressor will not harm a thing...

When you select defrost the system cycles the compressor on to help remove any moisture inside the car to help defog the windshield..

But with the Dry winters that most have, some nice warm heat blowing at the windshield will do the trick:D

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Yes Unplugging the Compressor will not harm a thing...

When you select defrost the system cycles the compressor on to help remove any moisture inside the car to help defog the windshield..

But with the Dry winters that most have, some nice warm heat blowing at the windshield will do the trick:D

i though it was to keep the conpresser from dieing in the winter. but what do i know

Jr's3800
12-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Nope...lol

But during the Winter you should cycle it on for a few at the very least to keep the refrigerant oils circulated through the system to keep the O Rings and such lubricated, as well as protecting them from drying out..:)

Slacker
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Awesome! Now I don't have to worry about shredding that belt. :)

I'm not worried about the refrigerant oils circulating b/c the A/C system is so shot it'd need an over haul anyway.

Thanks everyone.

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Nope...lol

But during the Winter you should cycle it on for a few at the very least to keep the refrigerant oils circulated through the system to keep the O Rings and such lubricated, as well as protecting them from drying out..:)

yea i though gm started do that so people wouldnt have to............hum maybe its both.-

Jr's3800
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Nope you'll be perfectly Fine..:)

In your situation I would do the same thing so I could have the defroster function..

Slacker
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
yea i though gm started do that so people wouldnt have to............hum maybe its both.-

Doesn't the A/C system make you use more gas too? Maybe they wanted you to dump more cash into the gas market too. lol :D

ochy38
12-06-2007, 10:08 PM
would this be a safe practice if the a/c is fine? i would love to disable the a/c considering, well, its about 3 degrees outside and dont plan on coolin it down anymore until about may. Plus i hate the way my car drives when the compressor is on.. not that its something anyone else would ever notice, just a little thing that annoys me plus takes away hp/uses more gasoline (which sucks in the wintertime)

Jr's3800
12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I think this would be a safe practice... Unless it was really humid outside or really humid in the car.. The you would have a hard time defogging the glass on the inside.. But as long as its dry( as most [laces are in the winter you should be able to get away with this..

If you ever felt that you needed the use of the Compressor you could plug it back in:)

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Doesn't the A/C system make you use more gas too? Maybe they wanted you to dump more cash into the gas market too. lol :D

attuly No it doesnt. a study useing a vierty of diffrint cars from the 70's to the early 2000's shows a less then 1mpg drop in fuel inconmeny. though out a load of driving condstions. the main place they saw a drop was ac use when ideling for long periods of time but even then it was very margnal.

Slacker
12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Interesting and good to know.

I always felt that my car chugged gas a bit more when the A/C was on (Well, when I had a car that had A/C :)). Probably just a placebo effect from what I was told. lol