PDA

View Full Version : Battery retention

mharri6
12-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I've obtained an '84 Celeb with the 2.8, the car has 93,000 on it and has set more than been driven the last few years. I'm in the process of getting everything back in "safe" condition(tires, tune-up, brakes,replacing rotten hoses,etc.) One thing that caught my eye was the fact that the battery retainer is missing. I've looked around and can't find out what kind of set-up it had originally. I would really like to get that thing cinched down, just in case. I'd hate to set off fireworks in the event of a fender- bender or such. So, if anyone could post a pic so I could scrounge what I need, I'd appreciate it!:)
There are a few more issues that I'm trying to figger out, but I'll keep this first post simple. Leave the other stuff to post latter.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
'84 Celeb with the 2.8, the car has 93,000 on it
...battery retainer is missing.

Someone should have a pic...but in that era, it was mostly a bolt and a chunck of hard rubber-plastic block.

Btw, imho, pull the oil pan, if any small plastic fragments exist in pan's bottom....replace your timing chain...and change out your Oil Pump, where you are there. At near 100,000, the timing chain needs to be changed....pron-to...

IF you can access harmonic balancer with socket and break-over bar, how much slack is there in the chain via turning it in opposite directions.

LordDurock
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
i have 3 would you like a pict it basicly a a 2inch srew and this this trapoziod shape. if you would like one i could mail you one but it probley cheaper to buy one or use zip strips

Slacker
12-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I don't have a pic of mine, but yeah, it's a bolt with a nice chunk of rubber that sort of "pins" the battery down with it's lip.

You could probably stop by a True Value and make a similar rig with some cheap supplies.

mharri6
12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks! I didn't know if it was the "rubber toe" variety or a top strap type with the threaded rods on both sides. Although zip ties and rubber tie straps would do in a pinch, I don't think they are the best solution. It's that mass x enertia thing. ;) Thanks again.

TheBrownBandit
12-09-2007, 05:11 AM
My 89 Celebrity has the rubber and bolt setup as well. This is the first vehicle I've had with this kind of setup. I was amazed by it but it does the job!

85_Ciera_Rebuild
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM
...rubber and bolt setup...I was amazed by it but it does the job!

I've run around without bolt/pad setup....batteries are heavy...and unless extreme motion exists, it will stay there, most all of the time.

On 82/86 full sized chevies, the positive cable can't touch anything...so it floats/slides in the base.

Never lost a battery yet...