PDA

View Full Version : 3300 AC compressor

Duke George V
03-26-2010, 03:05 AM
Hey guys, looks like I need a compressor for the Century. Anyone have a good one? I think it's "H6" style.

turbokinetic
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
HR6 or DA6 style is the designation.

I would recommend on this car that you buy a reman compressor from a reputable source. These are finnicky and the chances are a used one (unless pulled from a charged system) will have dry seals and internal corrosion.

Respectfully,
David

turbokinetic
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
What is it doing wrong?

Duke George V
03-29-2010, 02:21 AM
I had it checked out because it wasn't kicking on, and I'm told it has a blown seal. The shop wanted to completely rebuild the entire system and convert it to 134, to the tune of $1000. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emotes/emot-gonk.gif Not a terrible price, honestly, but I sure as hell don't have that much money sitting around anymore.

turbokinetic
03-29-2010, 02:26 AM
My advice?

Change the drier. Put 6 ounces of PAG150 oil in the new dryer.
Evacuuate for 2 hours minimum. (extra time since you are changing refrigerant type)
Install one can of R134A with leak-sealer, and 2 cans of regular R134A.

It will cool fine; and either it leaks down or it does not. Try this before spending all that money.

Prospeeder
03-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Yea why would the compressor be bad. It doesnt kick on because the low pressure switch is seeing low charge and now allowing it on. Look for a oily connection or fitting, or for a badly damaged condensor ("radiator" for the a/c) They take some hits from rocks and collisions and even high curbs. id locate, and quick fix the leak, and recharge it. I have to admit i have never vacuumed down a system and have done like 7 "ghetto retrofits" is what i call them. New acumulator, orifice tube, find the leak, fix it, fill with retrofit oil, R134a, and a shot of UV dye. They blow pretty cold for retrofits.