PDA

View Full Version : Pushed-Up Floorboard Repairs

turbokinetic
12-23-2007, 01:34 AM
What do you recommend as a way to repair a floorboard that has been pushed up? The car was apparently lifted or jacked up by the rear floorboards, and they are pushed up 4 inches in the highest place.
The seats and molded carpet mat are out of the car already. I was thinking about placing wood blocks on the pushed up areas, and pounding the blocks down with a 100 lb weight.
I've never repaired this extensive of floorboard damage before. The car was in this condition when I got it. It's a 1984 Buick Century.
Thanks,
David

http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1

86euro
12-23-2007, 01:46 AM
A BFH is your best friend in this case. I have one at work for jobs like that, it's of the rubber-coated dead-blow variety with a mallet that's around 10lbs or so.

turbokinetic
12-23-2007, 02:00 AM
I'll give that a try tomorrow if the wether isn't too nasty here. Car is at a friend's farm 20 minutes from home. Will take pictures before and after I totally mangle my poor car's floorboard. :-(
I think the salvage yard that had the car used a short-fork forklift to pick up the car and the ends of the forks rested under the floorboard.

LordDurock
12-23-2007, 02:26 AM
yea BFG go slow and maybe have a freind hold something like a 4x4 to you can end up with a simi level serface again.

notsoslimshady76
12-24-2007, 02:56 AM
When I was 14, I jacked up a 1990 Cavalier by the floorpan. Not a pretty site. I was so naive back then! As a side note, I checked out your site turbo, its awesome

turbokinetic
12-24-2007, 03:25 AM
Glad you liked my turbo setup. Boost is addictive!
I got the floorbord fixed, if you care pictwes are here:
http://68.209.87.173/84_Century/Restoration/
After pounding it back down, I dried all water from seams with heat gun and then soaked it with Rustoleum cold-galvanize. Tomorrow I will wash the molded carpet pad and hopefully get the carpet and seats back in this week.

86euro
12-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Looks good, never seen an axle used for that before, lol.

turbokinetic
12-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Looks good, never seen an axle used for that before, lol.
Thanks, that axle has a stripped spline where it goes into the differential. It represents a Bad Day in the service truck. Could have been worse. I travel in 3 states and am home only 2 or 3 times a month. Could have stripped anywhere but it waited to strip until I was 20 miles from home. It was quick and easy to get towed back to my own driveway to fix the rear end. Wrap some radiator hose around the end and it makes a great tamping-tool!