PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Century T Type

Electra_T_Type
05-06-2010, 05:29 PM
With the '85 only frontend, this car is a little too close to me and may sway my tax plan money.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/1726818077.html

turbokinetic
05-07-2010, 02:05 AM
I would jump all over that!!! It looks like a great restoration project that would not need to much serious work.

razoredge
05-07-2010, 03:04 AM
I agree but it appears the front seats need much and as he says it just runs, I dont see 800 or 900.

Did the t-type also come in two door ?

CamoDeafie
05-08-2010, 12:57 AM
yes the T type did come in 2 and 4 doors, no wagons though.

T5258
05-09-2010, 12:02 AM
posting deleted....did someone pick it up???

CamoDeafie
05-09-2010, 01:43 AM
probably; and not a member here or we'd hear about it by now

Electra_T_Type
05-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Updated listing with more pics... http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/1730286381.html
According tot he standard catalog of Buick this is one of 4,043 Century T Types made for '85 with nor sedan/coupe breakdown. I may be picking this up with my tax money as I can't find a reasonable Trans Am in my price range.

CamoDeafie
05-13-2010, 02:56 AM
save it man. that looks to be a decent engine, and OK body, could be restorable!

turbokinetic
05-13-2010, 03:01 AM
save it man. that looks to be a decent engine, and OK body, could be restorable!

Yeah! VERY restorable. Got all the wheels (maybe even all the centers!). I like the grille with the center emblem, too. And it has the 3.8 engine on top of that.

CamoDeafie
05-13-2010, 03:04 AM
bein an 85, im not sure when did they go over to Roller Lifters on the 3.8s....so thats a good question, one that he;ll find the answer for if he takes the engine out for a rebuild or something...which might be in the works for it regardless, jsut to make sure its all good :)

David, since you and Razoredge are the defacto experts in the 3.8 histories...did GM ever used the same "doghouse" SFI intakes on the RWD and FWD 3.8s in 1985? I;m not sure myself, that intake in the ad looks remarkably like a 1985 SFI rwd intake, but i could be completely wrong.......lol.

turbokinetic
05-13-2010, 03:08 AM
You can "feel" the RL cast into the block. Reach down from the passengers side, between the transmission and engine and feel the side of the block there.

razoredge
05-13-2010, 03:12 AM
I'd snag it but not anywhere near the asking price. Is that a factory sunroof ? Must be if it "doesnt close", lots of work there in itself. Thats the old distrubutor motor, I havent seen anybody that knows much about them.

CamoDeafie
05-13-2010, 03:13 AM
if the car's cooled down enough, yeah lol. (hot exhaust pipe in the way isnt fun for skin lol)

Electra_T_Type
05-13-2010, 03:16 AM
Should be pretty restorable, body and paint look better than my "87 T Type, I talked to the lady on the phone and the symptoms sound like needing a tune up, plus I love and excuse to head to Venice beach for the day :D
As far as I know of, and being on of the only GM FWD forum members with a '85, '85s are not RL, however David with the distrabutor would a GN cam work in this as easily as your application?
I actually have a second set of these wheels I got from the JY with brand new performance tires for $160, they're desetined for my '87 but I can't pull it out of storage. I did have a front end set stashed away at a yard but the crushed the motorhome befor 1/2 off day!
Hmm would I be the only person to own two Century T Types?

CamoDeafie
05-13-2010, 03:20 AM
pretty sure the GN cam will work in your engine, as would any other cam for the NA 3.8, remember, the GN cam is supposedly for the turbocharged engines, so be careful there. if you decide to upgrade to roller lifters, get a whole kit with the lifters and such and you should be good to go, i think the heads are the same bolt patterns as the Turbo heads or any other RWD 3.8 heads, gnttype.org has alot of information on what heads were available for whichever years...I'm aware that being a distributor engine, you're going to have an easier time finding cams for it than the coil guys but then again, you're going to need the cam break in thing and the special treatment stuff (ZDP?) for the tappet cam

turbokinetic
05-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Should be pretty restorable, body and paint look better than my "87 T Type, I talked to the lady on the phone and the symptoms sound like needing a tune up, plus I love and excuse to head to Venice beach for the day :D
As far as I know of, and being on of the only GM FWD forum members with a '85, '85s are not RL, however David with the distrabutor would a GN cam work in this as easily as your application?
I actually have a second set of these wheels I got from the JY with brand new performance tires for $160, they're desetined for my '87 but I can't pull it out of storage. I did have a front end set stashed away at a yard but the crushed the motorhome befor 1/2 off day!
Hmm would I be the only person to own two Century T Types?

Yes any cam for a GN would work in the distributor-type 3.8 engine. I had to modify mine for the DIS, but yours would be a direct-fit. You would have to get the (costly) retrofit-roller lifter pairs though. Since the block does not have the mountings for the roller lifter retainers.

David

razoredge
05-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Are there non rollor cams Dave ?

BTW, I see last night the ad was gone ?

razoredge
05-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Or maybe that place out west could just do a regrind ?

CamoDeafie
05-14-2010, 12:11 AM
yes there are, designed for people who happens to have tappet engines

turbokinetic
05-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Are there non rollor cams Dave ?....

Yes there are. Problem is, it's hard to improve the engine alot with a different flat-tappet (non roller) cam without seriously affecting the idle and needing a retune of the ECM. The roller cams play by an entirely different set of rules. They make "retrofit roller" lifters that are conjoined in pairs that can't spin. They are designed to run in a non-roller block. The link bars that join each pair keep them from spinning even though the block doesn't have a retainer plate. These are extremely popular with the hotrod crowd.

I've heard that a roller cam can give an extra 30 HP without making the engine a "beast" at idle.

David

razoredge
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Gotta love that ruff idle if your true oldschool, LOL, might get expensive with motor mounts for the 90* though.

What do those linked rollers cost Dave ? approx, then I wonder how well they hold up, I always worry about extra moving parts.

turbokinetic
05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Gotta love that ruff idle if your true oldschool, LOL, might get expensive with motor mounts for the 90* though.

What do those linked rollers cost Dave ? approx, then I wonder how well they hold up, I always worry about extra moving parts.

Yeah I know what you mean about the rough idle! I think it sounds kind of disagreeable though! I mean you can make loads of HP and still have a reasonable idle!

In reality, you just never hear of the retrofit roller lifters coming apart. They seem to be very durable. The link bars are just "guides" to keep them from rotating in the lifter bores.

Comp Cams shows the same retrofit roller lifters fitting the small-block Chevy V8 as those that fit the Buick V6. They sell a set of 6 pairs for $366.

On eBay you can find sets of 8 pairs for a small-block Chevy for $200 to $300. But I would not use anything not USA made for an internal engine component.

Later,
David

CamoDeafie
05-14-2010, 07:51 PM
its easier to just get the complete kit for the buick v6 from comp cams (cam, lifters, timing gear set, springs) than to try buy individually; since then yu dont need to worry about valve springs not fitting, or the timing gear set not being timed correctly, and so on. but i think it requires a new set of pushrods, and some valve seat grinding and clearancing in order to use the lumpier .460+ lift cams?

razoredge
05-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah I know what you mean about the rough idle! I think it sounds kind of disagreeable though! I mean you can make loads of HP and still have a reasonable idle!

In reality, you just never hear of the retrofit roller lifters coming apart. They seem to be very durable. The link bars are just "guides" to keep them from rotating in the lifter bores.

Comp Cams shows the same retrofit roller lifters fitting the small-block Chevy V8 as those that fit the Buick V6. They sell a set of 6 pairs for $366.

On eBay you can find sets of 8 pairs for a small-block Chevy for $200 to $300. But I would not use anything not USA made for an internal engine component.

Later,
David

Thing was "back in the day" that was how you could tell if a motor might have been worked as it protested wickedly at idle, "let me go", like a race horse in the gates. I loved the idle of my little 4 cyl Alpine and that was what was called at that time a "full race cam"

Still I get your point and thats not a bad price for someone sinking money into an engine.

So has this car been sold or what ? I'd have to spend $2000 on that body, sunroof and interior before I'd get into the motor anyhow.

turbokinetic
05-15-2010, 03:59 AM
its easier to just get the complete kit for the buick v6 from comp cams (cam, lifters, timing gear set, springs) than to try buy individually; since then yu dont need to worry about valve springs not fitting, or the timing gear set not being timed correctly, and so on. but i think it requires a new set of pushrods, and some valve seat grinding and clearancing in order to use the lumpier .460+ lift cams?

The roller cam in my LG3 is .498 lift (if I remember) and it did not require anything done to the heads. The older engines have a non-sealed exhaust valve guide that is taller than the LG3. It would have to be machined shorter and have a seal installed.

turbokinetic
05-15-2010, 04:06 AM
Thing was "back in the day" that was how you could tell if a motor might have been worked as it protested wickedly at idle, "let me go", like a race horse in the gates. I loved the idle of my little 4 cyl Alpine and that was what was called at that time a "full race cam"

Still I get your point and thats not a bad price for someone sinking money into an engine.

So has this car been sold or what ? I'd have to spend $2000 on that body, sunroof and interior before I'd get into the motor anyhow.

Yeah I know that sound!

I prefer the internal combustion version of the African proverb "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" which is "idle smoothly and carry a big turbo; you will go fast" of course!

David

Electra_T_Type
05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Interiors not that bad aside from maybe the front seats, buckets are easy to find in California. Body is ehh, I 'd rather have it quick with patina then invest in a potentially shoddy paint job... heres the link to the updated listing incase you missed it http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/1730286381.html

CamoDeafie
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
i'm an amateur bodyman by education (high school auto shop lol) and I think that patina isnt bad..compared to what i;ve seen over in ROchester NY lol ;)

razoredge
05-15-2010, 11:43 PM
The other link stopped working. I meant thats near how much I would spend fixing that dent and prepping the rest for paint oand paying someone to shoot it because I just cant shoot a whole car and keep it together. Plus seats if they are shot under those covers, I can't deal with a bad interior nor seat and wheel covers. Then theres the sun roof and I know nothing about fixing them. Headliner removal I assume. It all adds up quick as I have found out. Some people go the other way and do the engine first then body fix later if they can afford it. So I have (had) good looking cars but stock engines and never seem to get enough money to play witht the engines.