PDA

View Full Version : high speed blower motor relay is pissing me off

SexySilhouette
05-13-2010, 08:08 PM
1995 Olds Silhouette.

The high speed blower motor relay has been giving me problems since I bought this thing. It was burned up when I got it, replaced it and it will last about 2-3 months before burning up again. The last one lasted 3 days, damned autozone junk.

I've replaced the blower motor, the wiring harness, everything but the switch and I am about sick of putting relays in this thing. Nothing in the service manual on it.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

turbokinetic
05-15-2010, 03:32 AM
It is the shit quality relays you are getting. I went through this last year and had 4 of them fail. They were from different stores but looked identical. Finally got one from salvage yard and it is still in there!

The chinese make a container load of identical items and sell them wholesale. They get packaged by different resellers and you get the same worthless shit parts from every store.

The failulre mode for the chinese relays was for the relay coil to go open-circuit so that the blower would have LO-MED-HI-OFF instead of LO-MED-HI-MAX. The original one to the car got water in it and corroded so the blower ran all the time even with the ignition key off.

David

Jet
05-15-2010, 04:38 AM
Is there an alternative to using these junk-ass relays? Even if it involved cutting the factory plug that goes onto the relay, and using individual terminals on each wire instead in order to use a reliable substitute? I am not in this boat, but I'd hate to think that junkyard factory relays are all we have to fall back on.

Prospeeder
05-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Dealer.....