PDA

View Full Version : U-Body Wiper Arms vs. A-Body Wiper Arms

Jet
07-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Does anyone know if the arms will interchange? Do the U-body arms attach the same as the A-body ones? It seems that the U-body arms have the washer hoses running thru them, was thinking of adapting the U-body arms to an A-body.

SCREECH
07-19-2010, 05:17 AM
The U-vans have a quarter acre of windshield surface area. The A-bodies...not so much. The wiper arms themselves will not work as they are far too large for the A-body windshield, and they do mount in a different fashion - they are attached with a nut onto a splined shaft, whereas the A-body wipers have a much larger post to mount to and are retained with clips under the arms. HOWEVER, all is not lost...all you need is the hose setup and spray nozzles, which will clip over the thin, flat section of the wiper arms. I did a test-fit of those spray nozzles onto the wiper arms of my '91 Chevy pickup as I want to do a similar modification to the washer system on it. The only thing remaining will be to install fittings into the cowl to connect the hoses to, and replumb the underside of the cowl to direct the washer fluid to said connectors.

Duke George V
07-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Don't the van wipers do that thing where they cross over each other? It's been a long time since I had my old Silhouette so I'm a little fuzzy about them.

86euro
07-19-2010, 10:57 PM
It's easy to add the hoses to the arms like SCREECH said. I had some laying around from a Cadillac that worked well in a-body arms... one of these days I'll put them on the car too, lol.

Jet
07-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried two different types of universal washer nozzles, one set shot all the way over the car onto the trunk lid, and the second set did a great job of cleaning the roof....windshield, not so much.