PDA

View Full Version : APV in Brazil

SexySilhouette
08-11-2010, 07:22 PM
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-150756515-lumina-em-perfeito-estado-com-nota-de-leilao-com-d-a-docum-_JM

now that is a bit different. Has a 1.8 that seems to be similar to the OHC engines in J bodies, as well as a manual transmission.

Duke George V
08-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I was just bitching in another thread about how underpowered the 3.1 vans were. Holy shit, that thing must be a dog.

mechanizeddeath
08-12-2010, 04:13 AM
A 1.8? Holy mother of...

The smallest engined car I've ever even bothered to test drive was a 1.8L Impreza. This little guy was pretty light though, and while it didn't move I can't imagine that lack of power in a U-van.

Edit: I was curious so I did a bit of Wikipedia, and found this:

1.8 L SOHC
In 1983, a 1.8 L SOHC version, imported from GM of Brazil, was added. Replacing the 1.8 and 2.0 L OHV engines in the Pontiac 2000 and supplanting the Firenza and Skyhawk's 2.0 L engine, it used throttle body injection, producing 84 horsepower (63 kW).

Bold added by me. I really hope that van doesn't have 84 hp... That 1.8L Impreza I test drove weighed a lot less and had at least 110 hp.

turbokinetic
08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
A 1.8? Holy mother of...

The smallest engined car I've ever even bothered to test drive was a 1.8L Impreza. This little guy was pretty light though, and while it didn't move I can't imagine that lack of power in a U-van.

Edit: I was curious so I did a bit of Wikipedia, and found this:

Bold added by me. I really hope that van doesn't have 84 hp... That 1.8L Impreza I test drove weighed a lot less and had at least 110 hp.

Lol. You know the diesel A-cars had 85 HP stock. I was surprised how well it ran.

mechanizeddeath
08-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Lol. You know the diesel A-cars had 85 HP stock. I was surprised how well it ran.

haha... I had a Camry for a while, it was the base model that shared the engine with the tiny Corolla. That thing was a cross between pathetic and downright scary. Merging into 80+ mph traffic required prayer and incense. I'd always seem to get stuck behind someone with a lot more power who would coast down the ramp at 30 or so, then floor it. While they merged just fine that Toyota would be screaming at 6 grand and still going somewhere around half the speed limit as the ramp ran out and the shoulder began. There was nothing I could do about it either, so I tended to stick to city streets.

Wouldn't the extra torque of the diesels at least help them off the line though?

SexySilhouette
08-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Want slow?

I once drove a 1986 S10 Blazer 4X4 with A/C, PS, automatic trans and AN IRON DUKE.

Needless to say, 0-60 was measured with a CALENDER.