PDA

View Full Version : Good news everyone!

Duke George V
08-20-2010, 02:15 AM
I own a van again! It's a red '95 Trans Sport with the 3.8. Pictures tomorrow, it's too dark now.

86euro
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
That ain't right man... playing with our hearts like that. We want pics now!

:)

Duke George V
08-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Why didn't you guys tell me how much of a pain in the ass it is to replace the battery on these vans?

Jet
08-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Is it worse than pulling the sway bar off the front of one of these in a 100-degree junkyard?

Duke George V
08-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Not quite, but it's a lot more hassle than doing it in an A-body. Remove intake tubing and box, remove washer bottle, unbolt left headlight, unbolt strut brace, swing it out of the way, remove that dumb little hold down block because there isn't enough room to even get a wrench on the negative post, pull battery mostly out, unhook terminals. Installation is the reverse of removal. Took like a half hour when it takes five minutes on the Celebrity. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emotes/emot-argh.gif

CamoDeafie
08-20-2010, 03:55 AM
to be honest it aint as bad as changing out a bulb in the concorde LX...(remove radiator support, remove radiator, remove headligh t fuse cover, remove 4 or so more items to change one freaking bulb)

Duke George V
08-20-2010, 04:10 AM
Chrysler was king of wtf engineering with the LH and Sebring/Stratus. Longitudinal FWD? Yeah, okay, Honda did that with the Acura Vigor. Battery in the passenger wheel well? wat

I'm just complaining because I went into it blind. I didn't think it would be any more involved than the Celebrity.

CamoDeafie
08-20-2010, 04:22 AM
well actually the Toronado FWD series in 1970 onwards did the longidituanal FWD with a decently sized v8...lol

believe me, i have NO desire to buy any mid 90s onward MOPAR products...not after dealing with my parents' series of LH and caravans.

SilentWing
08-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Yay vans.... I really want to see a picture.... Luke's Supreme's battery is like that too, when I first saw it I couldn't figure out why the hell they'd bury them like that. Engineers will come up with wierd stuff when they don't have a lot of space to work with.

occupant
08-20-2010, 01:23 PM
The LH sedans are a technological marvel. Just the engineering in the HVAC system alone is mind-boggling. I would gladly own a LH sedan again. I've had two Intrepids, a '96 my wife had when I met her and a '97 I picked up to fix up (but I have owned 8 A-bodies so I DO prefer them). Rebuilt the top of the motor in the second one myself and enjoyed the learning experience. They FEEL more like a full-size car. I'm not thrilled with the engine cradle and steering systems, but there ARE permanent fixes for them. The overdrive automatics were more reliable in the longitudinal format and the 3.3 was a stout motor to begin with. I'm not a fan of the 3.5/3.2/2.7 engine family but I'll take a torquey pushrod 3.3L.

I think I want a Concorde next time. New Yorker and LHS were 3.5 only. Intrepids have white faced gauges. Visions were floorshift only. At least that's what I recall. And it's hard to find any of them with a 3.3 engine, but a 96-97 Concorde in dark blue over cloth interior with the 3.3 would be perfect. I like the way they look. If GM had used cab forward design, it would have made a great LeSabre:

http://autodata.ibsrv.net/images/?IMG=U6CYGEY1.jpg&WIDTH=425

Maybe I'll do some badge engineering myself and put LeSabre and Buick badges and lettering on one and confuse some people. There is a white '97 coming up at an impound auction in Bryan next month. With window tint and cloth upholstery, even (not sure which engine though). I do seem to be a sucker for white cars although I claim to like dark blue, gray, and black ones all the time. White makes sense in this part of the country. It does have the gold-trimmed wheels and the tan interior, and I do hope I can sell the Ciera by then in order to bid on it. Trying to get $850 for a car isn't easy with a busted column and a leaky rad. I'm working on it though.

mechanizeddeath
08-20-2010, 06:15 PM
One of my old girlfriends developed an obsession with the LH cars. She wanted a Vision in particular, and I must have test driven a couple dozen of them with her. Cool looking cars, especially for the time. I liked all of the Eagle models actually, it's too bad they were nothing more than a badge brand, like Geo.

I prefer the longitudinal mount, but sadly not many cars have it these days. And it seems like most cars made after 1990 are a pain to work on, it's almost like they want to frustrate you into giving their dealership service departments some billable hours. I shouldn't need a full socket set to change a headlight or air filter. In fact I shouldn't need any tools at all for those!

I remember telling my dad I was going out to change the headlight on my Legacy, and I was back inside within 90 seconds. My dad automatically got up from his chair to help, assuming I was having some kind of problem. Instead I was snapping off the rubber glove I'd worn and tossing the old bulb in the trash. I ended up having to reenact the procedure for him, because he didn't believe it could be done that fast and without tools. But that's how it should be! That car, like all cars, wasn't perfect - but at least the simple things were just that: simple.

Duke George V
08-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Kneel, Peasants! Kneel before your Emperor!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0943.jpg
VERY RED
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0944.jpg

Standard terrible paint.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0945.jpg

BUICK POWER
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0942.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0949.jpg

Full gauges
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0940.jpg

173,615 miles
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0941.jpg

Not exactly local.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0953.jpg

It has these pretty nifty saddlebags in the back, both sides.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0946.jpg

Aft to fore.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0948.jpg

Best feature: power sliding door.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY0952.jpg

It has all five of the rear seats, I just took one out since I didn't need it. I'll be removing all of them shortly, since I'm going to get it smogged and I don't really need to carry around an extra 200 pounds of seats if I'm by myself. It has the FE1 soft ride suspension, but the quick ratio rack. Transmission needs to be serviced, it's a bit jerky and sticky, and the fluid looks a bit old. It's also leaking from what looks like the pan gasket, which should be fixed by replacing the filter.

I think I did pretty well. I paid $1400, blue book is closer to $2700. So far I've put a battery in it, and will have the transmission serviced.

The Century will probably be on the chopping block soon so I can pay for the repairs to the Celebrity. Anybody want it? $1200!

SilentWing
08-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Great van, and it is VERY red. Looks great though :) Glad to hear you're going to be getting the Celebrity fixed up too, stinks that you have to sell the Century for it, but now that you have the van I'm sure you won't mind. I really like vans, they come in handy so often, I notice that alot more now that the Voyager is gone :/ Congrats on the new ride.

LordDurock
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Kneel, Peasants! Kneel before your Emperor!

!

What if i refuse!!!!.

good looking van hope it does well for you.

86euro
08-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Looks great! If you drive on the freeway much, you will soon find out that when going 70mph, the needle blocks the right turn indicator.

Duke George V
08-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I did notice that. Also, I think this has the 3.06 gearing, since the engine wasn't quite turning 2000 rpm at 65 mph. Excellent. What's everyone's fuel economy with these?

mechanizeddeath
08-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Very cool and clean! Seems kind of strange to have a van yet not haul a zillion kids around in it. :D Still, can't beat the utility. Not a bad idea on removing the seats. Hopefully the back doesn't ride too high with them removed! I've seen some vans do that.

Duke George V
08-21-2010, 06:08 AM
I have three daughters. This will be the family car. The Celebrity will be my work car and/or toy once it's back on the road. Like I said, the Century is up for grabs.

occupant
08-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Does that one have the nifty little built-in air compressor in the back along with the saddlebags?

Duke George V
08-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't know. That would mean it has the air ride suspension, right? The shocks looked like normal shocks to me though.

mechanizeddeath
08-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I have three daughters. This will be the family car. The Celebrity will be my work car and/or toy once it's back on the road. Like I said, the Century is up for grabs.

Ah, I thought you were removing the seats permanently. That makes more sense then. I'm one of three myself, so I know how important a minivan is despite most sedans having seating for 5 or even 6.. Most conflicts would start with a 2v1 scenario, something you're no doubt familiar with. ;) Using the 3rd row to separate us cut down on a lot of problems in those days before color LCD screens!

SilentWing
08-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Hey my mom used to throw me and my two brothers in the back of her 89' Ciera and we'd go to Wisconsin and Michigan with little to no problems.... well... cept when my brothers were trying to beat the crud out of me. Yay for being the only girl :( But there were some good times too... like when my uncle let me steer the car for about 10-20 miles home from Michigan one time... when I was 7 lol.

LordDurock
08-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey my mom used to throw me and my two brothers in the back of her 89' Ciera and we'd go to Wisconsin and Michigan with little to no problems.... well... cept when my brothers were trying to beat the crud out of me. Yay for being the only girl :( But there were some good times too... like when my uncle let me steer the car for about 10-20 miles home from Michigan one time... when I was 7 lol.

sounds like trips to cali.......in the back seat of a good old 85 C30 duely. my and my 2 sisters and all the crap we wanted to play with in the back of the crew cab.....sleeping was the worst my dad did over the road with the C30 and a camper (which i always broght) and coult do cali strait though from loveland. so i would sleep on the floor board and they would sleep on the sets

mechanizeddeath
08-21-2010, 07:33 PM
You're a girl? lol @ internet... Didn't know that! :D

Before the Chrysler minivan craze, my parents had a '76 Cutlass Supreme 2 door, and an early Cavalier wagon. Things weren't too bad in the Supreme but the J-body jammed us so close together that we couldn't even draw lines on the seat that the others couldn't cross. :p Grandma had a 6000 and we fit much better in that, but I think the A-body was outside of my parents financial reach at the time.

LordDurock
08-21-2010, 09:24 PM
You're a girl? lol @ internet... Didn't know that! :D

Before the Chrysler minivan craze, my parents had a '76 Cutlass Supreme 2 door, and an early Cavalier wagon. Things weren't too bad in the Supreme but the J-body jammed us so close together that we couldn't even draw lines on the seat that the others couldn't cross. :p Grandma had a 6000 and we fit much better in that, but I think the A-body was outside of my parents financial reach at the time.

no im a guy......last i checked.

SilentWing
08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
I think he was talking about me lol.... yeah I'm not really a 'girl' per say anymore @ 24 yrs old, but I am female :) I think I'm the only one on here. Luke's my fiance... Anyways sorry for hijacking your thread Daniel.

CamoDeafie
08-21-2010, 09:58 PM
lol! old days, road tripped from Oregon to Minnesota/Wisconsin to visit family when i was 5 up to 7 year old....we had first, a white caprice wagon. then a chevy celebrity wagon, THAT one influenced me the most..in being the inspiration for me to buy A_bodies =D

speaking of gender; there used to be a couple other females on the old forum long time ago....one was a moderator for a while, i dont know what happened, i think she passed the forum to Cutlass, the other, was at the time a 15 year old girl with a burgundy ciera...i think she has since sold the car and graduated high school and moved on to other things.....

mechanizeddeath
08-21-2010, 09:59 PM
lol yeah LordDurock snuck in between my reply. I guess I thought Luke was your brother or something haha... Hope I didn't sound like "OMG GIRLS ON TEH INTERNET" but on car sites the ladies are rare. Even the huge car forums with tens of thousands of active posters seem to only have a few dozen women. My girlfriend is sitting next to me just shaking her head. ;)

And yeah Duke George V (Daniel?) sorry for taking over your thread. How about some more detail pics of the car? I haven't actually been in a U-van since the early 90s, so I'd love to see more pics if you can take them.

86euro
08-21-2010, 11:16 PM
no im a guy......last i checked.

lol, how often to you check to make sure?
:)

CamoDeafie
08-21-2010, 11:56 PM
every time ya stand up to pee :D lol. sorry daniel; by the way, the U-van looks very good! a way to check the air ride suspension is to check the gas flap to see if theres a valve fitting next to it, well its how it works on the A-wagons and El Caminos i've seen...not sure if that would be where the U-van have...

86euro
08-22-2010, 02:10 AM
The u-van air ride is automatic with a level sensor IIRC. I do know for sure that there is not a standard type fill port.

skalor
08-22-2010, 02:34 AM
http://slurmed.com/fanart/dexus5/005_professor.png

I can't be the only one that thought this!!

Duke George V
08-22-2010, 04:33 AM
And yeah Duke George V (Daniel?) sorry for taking over your thread.

No problem. On such a small board, things like this tend to happen. I like it, actually.

How about some more detail pics of the car? I haven't actually been in a U-van since the early 90s, so I'd love to see more pics if you can take them.

What would you like to see? I'm open to take pictures of whatever you want. Anyone else is free to request too.

[img-professor_farnsworth]
I can't be the only one that thought this!!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emotes/emot-ssh.gif

occupant
08-22-2010, 05:31 AM
It won't be long before my wife pops in here. She knows all about my A-body addictions, she even enabled the last two I've owned. But the rule is simple. One "toy" vehicle at a time, plus my Torino, plus what she drives. That's all I'm allowed to have on this property. And that's my loophole. If I manage to sell this Ciera for enough money I'll try to get two vehicles at the next auction. Then I can double my efforts and go for 3, 4, 5 and try to keep them moving. If it's 1985 or older it's fair game, and if it's 1986 or newer I can sell 4 a year before the states says, "OK Buddy, that's enough, now pay up ten large or get a license".

So if you see a dmitchellusa or an amyswinningways, that's her. She thought she'd go incognito on W-body and pretend to be someone else. I wouldn't be surprised if she's done it here already or on any of the other 100+ car forums I'm a member of.

Duke George V
08-22-2010, 05:53 AM
the other 100+ car forums I'm a member of.

Dude.

occupant
08-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Don't make me make a list. I like making lists.

SilentWing
08-22-2010, 04:28 PM
lol that's hilarious, I'm what we like to call a co-dependant enabler, if it weren't for the money factor and the lack-of-space factor who knows how many cars we'd have. I have to keep reminding myself I'm going to try to limit my own cars to 2 or 3... my ciera, a beat around daily driver, and a classic. Anyways... Daniel I'd personally like to see some more interior shots of the back, how much room is there if you take out all of the seats? etc... Luke's going to be getting another minivan in the future and because of the transmissions I'm trying to convince him not to go with another Chrysler product. I'm hoping the fact that the 3800 is in the U-vans I can convince him to get one of these lol. He also likes the Chevy Uplander... I haven't seen or heard of enough of those to be able to tell how dependable those are.

mechanizeddeath
08-22-2010, 04:31 PM
No problem. On such a small board, things like this tend to happen. I like it, actually.

What would you like to see? I'm open to take pictures of whatever you want. Anyone else is free to request too.

Good question. I always like to see radio and climate control layouts, along with any other switchgear. Also things like storage bins, convenience features, etc. Little details like that. Those are the things I usually remember about a car for some reason. Like my Mercury Sable: I remember the digital dash, the terrible cup holder design, and wondering why Ford put 50 buttons on their radios instead of a couple knobs and sliders like GM.

Dude.

lol I was thinking the same thing... I'm on here, some Toyota Camry forum, and all of the big Subaru forums. That's it. I think I might have been on a Taurus/Sable forum 12 years ago but who knows if that's still around.

mechanizeddeath
08-22-2010, 04:49 PM
lol that's hilarious, I'm what we like to call a co-dependant enabler, if it weren't for the money factor and the lack-of-space factor who knows how many cars we'd have. I have to keep reminding myself I'm going to try to limit my own cars to 2 or 3... my ciera, a beat around daily driver, and a classic. Anyways... Daniel I'd personally like to see some more interior shots of the back, how much room is there if you take out all of the seats? etc... Luke's going to be getting another minivan in the future and because of the transmissions I'm trying to convince him not to go with another Chrysler product. I'm hoping the fact that the 3800 is in the U-vans I can convince him to get one of these lol. He also likes the Chevy Uplander... I haven't seen or heard of enough of those to be able to tell how dependable those are.

The guy who owns the yard I go to has 7 cars. At least those are the ones he has registered and insured. Considering he has titles and keys to most of the intact cars in his yard... Well you can take a guess as to how many cars he has that will at least turn over, if not stay running. :D

For minivans, I really only like the U-vans and the early Chrysler minivans. Always wanted one of the turbo Caravans for the hilarity of it. A 3800 U-van would be the more reliable choice, though.

occupant
08-23-2010, 01:10 AM
I think the reasoning behind why I am registered on so many boards is because every time I find a used car on CL with a problem, I look to message boards to find a solution. And to get specific answers for specific problems, I have to be able to log in and post.

white89euro
08-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks for posting the GREAT red dustbuster TransPort pics. I love those vans. There's a nice yahoo.com group for those vans. Just search the groups under APV vans.

George

Zaloryan
08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Congratulations on your new acquistion, Daniel! At least you're sticking with GM...I am saddened that you're selling the Buick though. Is anything wrong with it?

Duke George V
08-25-2010, 10:03 PM
No, I just don't have a need for three cars, including a non-op. Funds from the Buick will go toward one last round of repairs to the Celebrity.

Duke George V
09-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Is there any reason I should be getting 16 mpg? It's rated 17 city. Yeah, I'm running the AC a lot, but still...

86euro
09-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Sounds normal for the ones I've driven. The 3400 vans do a little better on gas.

Duke George V
11-01-2010, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZKpurIR70

Also, I've been getting 20 mpg pretty consistently. I guess the prior poor economy was because it sat a while and/or it hadn't been pushed hard.

SilentWing
11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
You really got a nice van. My family never had a minivan (though we did have that 89' Ciera I've mentioned a couple of times) so the only minivan I've had any expierance with was Luke's Voyager (RIP)... so the whole power door thing, although now pretty standard, is still really amusing to me lol. Hopefully when we get a house we'll have another van in our arsenal tho. Btw... hope you don't mind me asking but with you and your family being down to only the van now cause of the asshats who run your place, do you have any plans for a second vehicle?

Duke George V
11-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah, my oldest daughter made me promise her I'd get another wagon "just like that one" as George was leaving on the back of the truck. It's unlikely I'll be able to find one like the Celebrity, but I do want another wagon. That won't be happening for a few more months though.

SilentWing
11-02-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm glad to hear you plan on getting another wagon, and I hope you find one you really like.

Jr's3800
11-11-2010, 02:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZKpurIR70

Also, I've been getting 20 mpg pretty consistently. I guess the prior poor economy was because it sat a while and/or it hadn't been pushed hard.

Cool.... My poor van has been through H***.... Still trying to get it back to good.. I think the only thing I have other that your options is Alloys( I have the stock 15" alloys for the van, its wearing Bonneville 16" now )... Steering wheel controls as well, the full overhead console...

On the L27 when it was in my van I had the lower intake ported, and I had 1.8 Yella Terra Series I Roller Rockers.... Became a fun van to drive around... Then I did the rear sway bar, added the larger 235 tires( PITA to make them fit )...

Its just a shame to See Pontiac sink...

Duke George V
11-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Finally got some money and hit up the junkyard to get a seat. There were five vans—two base model Luminas with vinyl seats, two Trans Sports with seats broken in the exact way mine is, and a Silhouette someone had kindly done the work for me on. It was still kind of a pain to R&R, but it's done! I didn't take pics of the new seat, because it's boring. I did, however, take pictures of the old one.

The stamped sheet metal that makes up the base of the seat tore on one side, and one of the springs broke off the base.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1010.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1011.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1012.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1013.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1014.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1015.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1016.jpg

Get bent you worthless piece of shit.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/leftventricle/emperor_george_viii/SANY1017.jpg

SilentWing
11-14-2010, 02:57 AM
lol @ the last comment/pic.... glad you got a new one... before you needed a tetanus shot from getting stabbed in the ass.

86euro
11-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Well shoot. To bad you're so far away, I could have fixed that seat for you. Oh well, it probably didn't cost too much did it?

Duke George V
11-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Nah, it was the same price as the seats I got for the Century, about $28. And I'll probably end up fixing it. I have access to a welding shop, and could probably even do it myself if provided with a willing instructor. I know the basics of fusing metal, but I'd rather not burn the whole thing to the ground.

Like I said, that base is just stamped steel sheet. Looks like it's cold rolled, either 16 or 14 gauge. Shouldn't be that difficult. I'll probably put a piece of angle or bar under it to reinforce it, then either keep it as backup for when this seat breaks, or make a chair out of it.

mechanizeddeath
11-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow that's really dangerous looking. And I'd like you to know that I laughed my ass off at that last picture. I pretty much had that attitude toward the thermostat and radiator hose on my car.

turbokinetic
11-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Ouch on that broken seat!

The previous owner was very large?

David

Duke George V
11-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Well, the person I bought it from was not, so I wager there was a fatty somewhere in the van's history.

CamoDeafie
11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
or just extremely enthusaistic sexual escapades with large women

SexySilhouette
11-15-2010, 12:02 AM
or just extremely enthusaistic sexual escapades with large women

I resemble that remark. :p

LordDurock
11-15-2010, 12:11 AM
lol wow....^ and to i loved the pict and the get bent comment. (to many 80's movies)

SilentWing
11-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Oh my god.... laughing too hard... push fatty push... aw hell naw you broke the seat! Oh lord this thread is going in horrible directions.

Duke George V
11-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Here have a video I talk about stuff well thanks for watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcT4sYCCU6A