PDA

View Full Version : stereo wiring

LordDurock
01-05-2008, 07:19 PM
does any one now how to up date the wiring (the 3 plugs in the back) of the old a-body stereos to the new ones like in the 89's

Zaloryan
01-05-2008, 07:40 PM
You mean so you can put in a new CD stereo? Crutchfield.com sells wiring harnesses. I got mine there. Everything's color-coded too, real easy.

BignastyGS
01-05-2008, 08:06 PM
You mean so you can put in a new CD stereo? Crutchfield.com sells wiring harnesses. I got mine there. Everything's color-coded too, real easy.

Crutchfield is the way to go,but hopefully the kit they sell you wont make the aftermarket stereo look like this one that was installed in my 86 GS when I got it. Its since been removed and I put the stock unit in in. Too old for them thumping stereos anyways..

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/bignastyGS_photos/86GSdrintMedium.jpg

LordDurock
01-05-2008, 08:31 PM
im jsut looking to but in a 89 factory delco radio
im to old school form a fancy tumping stereo i just need blance and cleastal clear highs and mids. and many something with a tape deck. ;)

i like the gs concal shifter.....:)

mickstan_VR
01-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Autozone carries the adapter plugs. I just converted my '88 3-plug system to a '94 21-pin style last weekend. Now I have a stock stereo with EQ and I put the iPod cord and plug in the console. Let me find the link to the wiring of the 2 different plugs. I'll post it after while.....

86euro
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
GM confuses me sometimes. Both '89 celebs and my '91 S-10 had the older style connectors. I also had a factory adaptor that converted the old style to the new, from what I'm pretty sure was an '88 bonneville. In other words, the '88 bonne had an '89 style stereo in it from the factory.

mickstan_VR
01-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, they were wierd like that. I don't understand what the heck they were thinking. Why not make the change fleet-wide at the same time? I guess that makes too much sense.

Heres the link to the diagrams, and a good how-to on how to do it. http://www.iroczone.com/projradio01.html

The only difference I found was the black/white/blue 3-plug in my '88 did not have the black ground wire in it. And it did not have the power antenna wire in it either. The '88 radio had a stud on the back for the ground wire. The stud can be removed and relocated onto the new radio so you just use the original grounding setup. I just happened to have an extra 3-plug setup, so I pulled the black wire out of it and put into my plug in the car and ran the ground to it. Either way works fine.

86euro
01-06-2008, 02:26 AM
'89 used the separate ground wire also. I'm pretty sure my old '87 had the ground in the connector like every other GM product, I know the '86's do.

mickstan_VR
01-06-2008, 06:47 AM
my '88 had no ground wire in the plug.

LordDurock
01-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah, they were wierd like that. I don't understand what the heck they were thinking. Why not make the change fleet-wide at the same time? I guess that makes too much sense.

Heres the link to the diagrams, and a good how-to on how to do it. http://www.iroczone.com/projradio01.html

The only difference I found was the black/white/blue 3-plug in my '88 did not have the black ground wire in it. And it did not have the power antenna wire in it either. The '88 radio had a stud on the back for the ground wire. The stud can be removed and relocated onto the new radio so you just use the original grounding setup. I just happened to have an extra 3-plug setup, so I pulled the black wire out of it and put into my plug in the car and ran the ground to it. Either way works fine.

cool did they say wer to get hte plug thing

mickstan_VR
01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
AutoZone!

LordDurock
01-06-2008, 10:28 PM
AutoZone!

whats it called......part number....i can find it on there web site.

mickstan_VR
01-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Its called an GM stereo adapter plug. I don't have the part number. They're about 10 bucks. You are going to have to go to autozone in person and look in the radio section. You'll find it.

LordDurock
01-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Its called an GM stereo adapter plug. I don't have the part number. They're about 10 bucks. You are going to have to go to autozone in person and look in the radio section. You'll find it.

cool thanks

Zaloryan
01-07-2008, 10:11 PM
In case anyone was wondering, this is how a typical stereo looks in my 90 Ciera International with Crutchfield's mounting kit.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m289/mitchythekid_2006/Picture019.jpg