PDA

View Full Version : Finally back on track, the inevitable spring question.

The Mad Hatter
01-08-2008, 12:31 AM
All right! I am glad to be back on the forum. I have finally managed to get the Eurosport SS project off the ground. My 95 Silhouette (3800 V6) is in the process of being disassembled, and the Celeb's swap will be forth coming.

But, the one thing holding up right now is the front springs. I know the universal answer is "Get Eibach's!", and i would love to! So here's the question. I am using the front subframe from the Silo, and it is a 95, so can i use the springs for a 95 cutlass ciera, and get struts for the same? If that won't work, next best option? I was thinking getting some custom wound springs for the front with the same dimensions as the eibachs (anybody got those?). BTW, the rear springs will be from a station wagon.

I'm open to any and all ideas, cause i gotta come up with something good soon. Also, the van has FE2 springs, could cut those to work, but i'd like this car to have a GOOD ride. Many thanks in advance!

SCREECH
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I am using the front subframe from the Silo, and it is a 95, so can i use the springs for a 95 cutlass ciera, and get struts for the same?

The one word of caution or piece of advice I have to add here is with regard to bolting the top of the strut to your strut towers. I just discovered, when attempting to replace the struts on my '89 International with the struts from a '94 Century, that the hole patterns are different between them. Make sure you get a strut whose upper mount inner attaching point (the one towards the engine bay) is a pair of threaded holes in the mount with a bolt that goes in from the top, and not a stud. There are two possible positions for that inner bolt, each about an inch and change away from each other. You can position and hold the strut up in place with the outer two studs, sliding them up into the body and putting the nuts on 'em. Then you can see which hole you will be using by looking down through the third hole from above - drop your bolt in and crank it down.

When I was trying to install the '94 Century struts into the '89 Ciera I fought with them for 10 or 15 minutes, trying to get the holes to line up, before discovering the change in the hole position between the cars. So I'm assuming that the Silhouette's upper strut mount setup will be the same as the late model A-bodies, so just to be on the safe side, make sure your upper strut mounts have the bolt that you can change positions with, rather than the fixed stud.

LordDurock
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
^dont the top mounting plate just bolt on to the top of st strut could you change thouse

skalor
01-08-2008, 07:26 PM
The one word of caution or piece of advice I have to add here is with regard to bolting the top of the strut to your strut towers. I just discovered, when attempting to replace the struts on my '89 International with the struts from a '94 Century, that the hole patterns are different between them. Make sure you get a strut whose upper mount inner attaching point (the one towards the engine bay) is a pair of threaded holes in the mount with a bolt that goes in from the top, and not a stud. There are two possible positions for that inner bolt, each about an inch and change away from each other. You can position and hold the strut up in place with the outer two studs, sliding them up into the body and putting the nuts on 'em. Then you can see which hole you will be using by looking down through the third hole from above - drop your bolt in and crank it down.

When I was trying to install the '94 Century struts into the '89 Ciera I fought with them for 10 or 15 minutes, trying to get the holes to line up, before discovering the change in the hole position between the cars. So I'm assuming that the Silhouette's upper strut mount setup will be the same as the late model A-bodies, so just to be on the safe side, make sure your upper strut mounts have the bolt that you can change positions with, rather than the fixed stud.
I remember discussing this on the old board as I had the same problem when swapping over my Eibach/KYB setup from my '90 Ciera to my '89. The '90 plus struts mounts are the same for both sides, but the '89 and older are different from side to side. IIRC, the driver's side is the one that the same between all years.

skalor
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
^dont the top mounting plate just bolt on to the top of st strut could you change thouse
You have to compress the spring first though which can be a little scary if you've never done it before.

LordDurock
01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
why is it scary to use sping comepresser (which ever style you like and tighten both sides evenly)

but what your saying is you cna swap the mount things right

The Mad Hatter
01-09-2008, 01:49 PM
You have to compress the spring first though which can be a little scary if you've never done it before.

Well, i intend to buy new struts without springs, and put on whichever springs i find will work for this setup (eibachs, F41 (on car already), custom wound, etc). If i can locate some eibachs for around a 93, 94, or 95 ciera, and get struts for the same car, and if necessary change the mounting plate before installing the springs. I can use older model struts if the lower mount will match the 95 Silo subframe. I'd like to get KYB GR2's if that helps.

Zaloryan
02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I sure someone knows this, but MOOG makes springs for A-body cars...I can get a set over at O'Reilly's for not too much.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/DisplayTheParts.do?manualReplCategoryIndex=41&vehicle=1990OLDSMOBILECUTLASS%20CIERAINTERNATIONAL V6-3300%203.3L&bid=1202342457275&cycleCount=649