PDA

View Full Version : Shifting question ?

Jairek
10-17-2010, 08:04 PM
alright so sometimes be doin 65 and my car is in forth then it drops outta 4th after a min in 4th and goes to 3rd doing 65 so it just slows the car down what would cause this

turbokinetic
10-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Often times with the electronic-shift transmission, it will shift to third when the transmission oil overheats. This is to protect the transmission from further heating.

If the radiator is marginal, or the trans is over or underfilled with oil, it can make it overheat.

Jairek
10-18-2010, 02:13 AM
o damn yea i check fluids seem to look ok my damn oil filter on the engine keeps leakin so i tighten as far as it would and i hope it stopped because i was loosing a quart within a hour of parking. but i pulled in my garage see if it leaks anymore trans i checkd a lil bit ago it was full i check again need to change it to some syn because i dont kno how old it is in the trans

Century7667
10-18-2010, 05:27 PM
It happened to me. Marginal radiator. It's been replaced, the tranny is quite happy, and so am I!

Ken T.

Jairek
10-21-2010, 03:52 AM
so its the small stock radiator hmmm would explain why im always getting past 220 heat and making my fuel pump be all wack because it gets so hot it pushes more gas in then hydro locks my car stays on 195 goin down hills and when its really cold out seems to do fine but when it sittin forever on in trafic or goin up hill the cooling system sucks and just makes my fuel pump whine horribly

Jairek
10-21-2010, 03:55 AM
is there a upgrade to a radiator because i might just pull one like can any newer model cars in the gm cat fit in my car

Jr's3800
10-21-2010, 01:19 PM
The trans will revert back to 3rd and lock out 4th for a few conditions... Slip RPM's is one, Overheating is another could even be an issue with the TCC valve bore... You need to scan for codes( doesn't matter is the SES light is on or not )... You need to be pointed in the right direction..

Jairek
10-21-2010, 07:00 PM
the only light i have on is the anitlock light i never have any other light pop up had the service engine like a week after a purchased the car but thats long gone now have not seen since and my heat guage is always bouncing all over like sittin in traffic it gets to 220 at least fan cuts on it cools down then my fuel pump is way loud from getting hot and the car slips out of gear when its at 200

Supermanglide
08-15-2011, 06:04 AM
It happened to me. Marginal radiator. It's been replaced, the tranny is very happy, and so am I!