PDA

View Full Version : Ciera cluster with Tach and trip problem

borf42
01-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone! These forums have been a great help so far, but this one has me stumped. My grandfather gave me his '93 Olds Ciera Cruiser, 3.3l V-6, and it is pretty mint. I just like to know what the engine is doing, so I did my research here to find that I can get a cluster with a tach. Sweet! So, I found one on e-bay and bought it. I just installed it this weekend and sadly, I think it was a tach from a 4-banger. Doh! It reads way too high.... or my little 3.3 revs to 7k with no problems! :eek5: The other problem is that the trip meter doesn't work either, as the tenths keep going, the rest don't move. So I guess this is a dual question. has anyone successfully repaired a not moving trip meter (odo is fine) and can I change the tach from a 4-cyl to 6-cyl.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Nate

86euro
01-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Depending on the design of the trip mechanism, it could be easy to fix. The only way to find out is to take the cluster apart and have a look at it (if nobody else hasn't already done so). If the tach is for a 4cyl and not just malfunctioning, it can be modified to work on a 6cyl. Where are you located?

Tonglebeak
01-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Lol. My 2.8 can rev to 7k, but that was a mistake in manually selecting gears on my part (going 65 in 1st=heart attack).

borf42
01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
I thought I put that info in... Well, I'm located in Windsor, CT. I'll have to take the cluster out again to try and fix the triip meter... If you could let me know where to look on the tach problem though, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nate

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
You can probly take the trip, and odometer, from your old cluster, and slide them into the new cluster. This way you milages match.

86euro
01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I thought I put that info in... Well, I'm located in Windsor, CT. I'll have to take the cluster out again to try and fix the triip meter... If you could let me know where to look on the tach problem though, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nate

I'm not sure where to look, I had one that needed converted, so I just dropped it off at my dad's house and he did it for me. He can fix or modify just about anything electronic.

borf42
01-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi Guys, Just took apart the cluster, and inside I can see where I'd possibly change the tach to make it work for my 6, but the guy I bought this off of (e-bay) said he has a couple tachs for 6-cyl lying around, and that he-d send it to me. The cluster is defiantly out of a 4 banger, as it says on a sticker on the side. Also, it has an 85 mph speedo. No biggie for me, this isn't a race car (my miata is though:rock:) Now the trip meter, on the other hand, I examined that. I am not even going to attempt it. The guy said he'd have to try and find one of those, as the only one he has is for a mechanical speedo... Sadly, I can't swap the odometer/trip meter as they are completely separate on my existing setup. Anyhow, I'll let you know when I get the replacement tach, as I can prove my theory, and hopefully help anyone out that is in my predicament.

Nate

Zaloryan
01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I just picked up a new gauge cluster too. Only problem I have with mine (that I know of) is my trip odometer doesn't clear! It actually goes up on milage! Any ideas on fixing that? My stock cluster with 0-85 going across the dash doesn't have a trip...

borf42
01-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Zaloryan,

The resetting mechanism doesn't look to complicated, as it just lifts these gears off the numbers to allow them to spin to 000.0 - The only thing I am not sure of is: I'd have to take the face off to try to repair the gears, and in turn must take off the needle. Since these gauges just sit where you place them, how do we know when they're lined up properly? If I had some pointers for that, I'd be more inclined to repair the set that I have. The e-bay guy hasn't let me know id he's sending me the v-6 tach yet. I sure hope it is on it's way... Or I'll be junk yard hopping (again)

Nate

Zaloryan
01-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I took it apart already, and the trip does lift the gears up, but the trip doesn't clear. I'd ship it to you if you could fix it and repair the odometer. The three columns from the left are offset, and the small rack behind all the columns is broken. Other than that, everything's fine.

borf42
01-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Hmmm... Not sure. Sounds to me like the spring (or whatever mechanism brings the numbers back) isn't functioning properly. I am not sure if I'd be much help, as I seem to have a problem with mine as well. The guy I bought my cluster off of will probably be sending me a new speedo eventually. I will ask him if I could dedicate that one to science so I could help others. I'm sure he'll go for it. He actually e-mailed me saying he used to have a ciera and loved it. I'll point him this way, in case he finds any more clusters or parts he could offer. He's been really good to deal with. Nice to see these days....

Nate

Zaloryan
01-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Sounds good, can't wait! :eek5: