PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod Inner Removal ?

Jairek
10-25-2010, 10:54 PM
So i don't have money to purchase a inner tie rod tool remover is there anyway to get it off with out one...... ???????????

85_Ciera_Rebuild
10-26-2010, 02:55 AM
... is there anyway to get it off with out one?

Have you checked Harbor Freight for tools?

Jairek
10-26-2010, 05:00 AM
no i know they have one up here they actually i guess aint bad price ill have to pick one up

Jairek
10-26-2010, 05:03 AM
how do i get the back clamp off the boot cover

85_Ciera_Rebuild
10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
how do i get the back clamp off the boot cover

Show me a picture....if you are talking about adjustment "holding clamp," I take complete tie rod (whatever) off vehicle...measure total length, then wire brush it and oil it down, put it in a vise, then unscrew it.

Jairek
10-28-2010, 12:24 AM
well does it just unscrew with the tool cause i guess the back boot cover like goes over the part you need to unscrew so id have to slied it off some way from back with out breaking it if i want to use it again how does the metal holder on back snap off the inner tie rod where it connects to rack n pinon

85_Ciera_Rebuild
10-28-2010, 02:13 AM
well does it just unscrew with the tool

Google me a picture, like this:

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/images/uploads/78TieRodEnds.jpg

85_Ciera_Rebuild
10-29-2010, 03:52 AM
tie rod

Normally:

1. Clean off threads with wire brush
2. Take out cotter pin
3. Oil threads with WD-40...etc
4. Take a Break
5. Use impact to take off nut
6. Use a pickle fork or tie-rod-press

Jairek
11-01-2010, 12:19 AM
what about the inside tie rod thats just a joint on the power steering rack

Jairek
11-01-2010, 12:21 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000EOEXFK/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive

Jairek
11-01-2010, 12:22 AM
this thing it has the rubber cone boot covering it would i just rip the boot off and it looks like might tool unless there a way to get vice grips in and turn a lil at a time

Jairek
11-01-2010, 12:26 AM
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/734041/6000840/0/1212046000/Tie_rod_assembly.jpg

LordDurock
11-01-2010, 01:28 AM
notice to two notices on the bigger part of the body that were the wrench goes..........on my mother VW bettle the factory says to remove the rack.....i just under my the lower control arm (a arm) turn the rack left or right depending on the side.......idk about your car......also some racks have a notch ofr a wrench to hold the rack part of the arm while under the tie rod. also most tie rods kickts come with new boots.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
11-01-2010, 02:01 AM
what about the inside tie rod

Never worked on that type before...but just checked an online repair manual, and long story short...read the repair manual, cause there are a number of steps involved.

Jairek
11-01-2010, 10:43 PM
ill just buy the tool and ripp the boot off buy a new tie inner shouldn't be much since ive got work picking up again

85_Ciera_Rebuild
11-03-2010, 01:30 AM
ill just buy the tool and ripp the boot off

I just scanned the online manual, but if my memory serves me, it takes two wrenches to take it off (one holding tie-rod, and other power steering rack)....and they did mention using a vise.

Read the Fine Manual, which someone gave a link to in one of these recent posts.

Jairek
11-04-2010, 05:35 AM
hmmmm seems like on my car i just need the tie rod tool and the rack is bolted to the frame i doubt i would have to take it off

Drop Top Olds
12-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I have removed inner tie rods on front wheel drive cars. Typically, it requires a special wrench (can be rented at a local O'Reillys). Use the second wrench to stabilize the rack when removing the inner tie rod. If you let the rack pivot/slip during removal or replacement your rack will be damaged. It is not too hard to do. I would jack up car and stabilize. Remove front tires. Disconnect battery (if air bag equipped). Disconnect outer tire rod from "spindle". Turn spindle out of the way. Turn wheel so the rack is accessible on the side you remove inner tie rod. Stabilize rack with an adjustable wrench. Remove boots and inner tie rod. It is helpful to have a helper to stabilize the rack during removal. Install new tie rod with helper stabilizing the rack. Torque to specification. Assembly is reverse of removal. One helpful hint to get your new tie rods "close" in adjustment is to mark the position of the old pieces before dis-assembly.

I have never removed a rack to replace the inner tie rods.

Jairek
03-06-2012, 04:34 AM
I Got tie rod out using this crazy half/socket/wrench thing i had laying around big extension got that out new one counted the turns off and on got it just perfect back to how it was.... Didn't unplug battery didn't do any damage to car thou nothing happened while changing in and out on some jack stands.. But got it fixed :) fixed trans pan leak power-washed cars engine bay, And Underneath carefully no problems there at all. My radiator lines to trans seem to be leaking from the metal that the rubber tube goes in to That Requires the special tool but why would where the tube goes into that special holder leak ? like the only rubber tubes on trans lines the curve... It leaks right there ???