PDA

View Full Version : 220 + degrees

Jairek
10-30-2010, 07:58 PM
so at idle my car gets hot idk why i flushed coolant cleaned outside of radiator degreased my engine cold air exhaust new thermos new coolant and still getting hot what would cause this a while ago my water-pump was leaking took it apart just resealed it back together. but im still gettin in the hot side of heat sometimes itll stay 195 below when its cold out but when its like 60 above it just heats up.

Pontiac6ksteawd
10-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Cooling fans working?

Jairek
10-31-2010, 07:50 AM
my cooling fan kicks on like at 198 sometimes sometimes idk if its even on i think it is what would cause i fan to kick on at 220

Jairek
10-31-2010, 10:57 PM
i was thinking about splice in the ac fan since i barly use ac and hooking it to the stock fan i don't think the fan is cooling it enough maybe fan is shot it turns on and pushes hot air out mayby it like doesn't click on right away what would cause that

Jairek
02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
so back again I have cooling fan hook up normal it won't kick on till 220 for a slight 30 seconds then turn off:mad: so it just does this I don't care about the heat but. When I get to that high my fuel pump gets all crazy winning away

LordDurock
02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
any one know if the fans are like the 86 and below fans were there trigured by a temp switch (switch grounds the circuit to the fan relays) or if there a temp sensor that tells the ecm or some thing to hit the fans? either way the temp sending part should be tested.

Prospeeder
02-18-2011, 08:33 PM
well my 6000 doesnt even turn the fan ON untill 240 almost. Then it cools it down to 210-220 and then kicks off, i think for emission reasons they run pretty warm. I have tried numerous temp sendors, the relay and fan are replaced, new radiator, thermostat, heater core, waterpump headgaskets. So I dunno, my car doesnt seem to mind. The Temp gauges in this Era of GMs absolutly blow too so dont always base it off that.

Does it ever boil over? Radiators clog internally, put your hands all over it when the engines hot and see if ALL of the radiator is hot.Any cold spots and its shot. And you did Dilute the Coolant with a 50/50 mix of water right? Striaght antifreeze doesnt cool very well

Jairek
02-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah it boils it since I put a water pump in it I don't leak. Fan kicks on at 225 if it gets that hot it really just bounces around on the gauge.

So far it has yet to get past 220 the fan I don't think kicks on the pump just moves stuff around more. I always get the over heated 4 th gear is what I worry about it stays in 3 rd mostly until it cools i changed trans fluid filter no affect.
My fuel pump stays quiet then 30 mins driving it buzzes. On half a tank even. Its wack

Prospeeder
02-20-2011, 02:35 AM
maybe when you did the pump a bunch of gasket material got into the system and put the half dead radiator to sleep

Jairek
02-21-2011, 03:13 AM
well now unusal but it stays under 220 with fan plugged in stock. Even so its like aroun 195 most the time proably colder at night the day time its kinda the same way it only gets to 220 then i think the fan kicks then it drops back under unless the 18 year old radiator did cut out. the heat bounces around from 190 to 220 then stays at 195 mostly.

Prospeeder
02-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Did you try what I said? Feel the radiator for cold spots?

Jairek
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
what if i stuck a hose in the radiator turn it on full blast

Prospeeder
04-15-2011, 01:33 AM
radiators are soo big its hard to really put any pressure through them. there not like a little heater core

Jairek
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Yea I just keep having same issues with the OD. Like I slip out of 4th and get stuck in 3rd the whole time till car cools down

sky81
05-16-2011, 11:16 PM
This is on a 94 Cutlass Ciera?

I cannot say this for certain... but on the early models (86 and previous) there was a separate switch that turned the fan on, and the fan did not turn on until about 235 F.
Someone mentioned they did it for emissions reasons, and yes that was the reason.

However I personally was never comfortable with this- I felt like the engine got too hot, so I put in a bypass switch under the dash so I could turn the fan on myself when I wanted to.

The later models have the cooling fan controlled by the ECM. I don't know what year that started but my guess would be around 1987.

It's possible there's nothing wrong with the car, they just heat up a bit until the fan turns on.
At least that is what it sounds like to me.