PDA

View Full Version : All Wheel Drive Turbo 3.1l V6 chevy celebrity project

chevycelebrity
12-09-2010, 06:55 PM
i own an 88 celeb eurosport my plans are to install the suspension and drivetrain from the 6000 STE or S/E AWD to it then install the turbo 3.1 v6 from the grand prix STE i will be looking for these parts so know of any good places to find them help please abd any additional ideas please do tell

bluefever
02-13-2011, 11:31 PM
try car-part.com they have multiple listing search for most junkyards in every state,not all junkyards,but most,craigslist/crazedlist for multiple areas,possible parts cars,never really seen much on ebay

Sport Omega
02-13-2011, 11:44 PM
From the sounds of it, you're taking on a very ambitious project with all the posts looking for mechanical and body parts. Did you just pick this car up and dreaming of what it could be or have you hatched a plan to make it happen? How long do plan for this to take? I'm only asking because you'll need a lot of parts hopefully from a donor 6000STE. You'll need the gas tank, the floor itself is different for the AWD to fit as well as the rear strut towers/trunk area. I'm speaking from personal experience on a long project to do something different so I hope this link gives you some motivation to keep going. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3330131/1987-dodge-charger It took me 5 years to get it to the point of driving. Yes I did use parts from a 6000STEAWD for this. If you'll look at the other car of mine-the 81 Omega, The pics of it in the yard before I picked it up. This same yard had an AWD STE when I was there. I'll have to call and see if he still has it. Like the Omega, it's been on the ground so the rear suspension cradle is going to need some reconstruction from rust. Don't worry, from where it was sitting I seriously doubt that thing was going anywhere anytime soon and it ain't moving until spring.

bluefever
02-14-2011, 12:21 AM
i've thought about doing it to a a-body wagon for a while or a dustbuster,not sure how the dustbuster would take it,I think i remember reading somewhere that it was made so that it could fit into a dustbuster and possibly other gm platforms if i remember right

bluefever
02-14-2011, 12:28 AM
i'm just hoping when i finally do get to drive a 6000 awd that it's system isn't as crappy as pontiac's versatrack,that system is the crappiest,weakest all wheel drive system i've ever seen in my life,if the 6000 awd's are anything like the versatrack's I definetly wouldn't put a turbo on!!!!

Prospeeder
02-14-2011, 07:31 PM
go buy an awd 6000 and do it. there arnt any provisions for any of the AWD stuff on a FWD car. I do like the idea of the turbo 3.1 better, seeing as i have one

chevycelebrity
02-16-2011, 02:19 AM
sorry guys not doing the awd swap want a mans transmission not an auto thats all the awd had available DELETE

Sport Omega
02-16-2011, 02:45 AM
As soon as I can look at an awd tranny sitting at a local yard I'll let you know whaat I think about hacking off the transfer case part of it to adapt to a manual trans setup. I just need to physically see it and think about it before I can say if I can brainstorm on it. BTW, what is the gear ratio of the rear differential unit on the AWD 6000?

Sport Omega
02-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Never mind, I found my answer on the gear ratio. It's 3.42-1. Well I guess If I wanted to simplify the installation of an all wheel setup into a non awd I think I'd go with a solid axle setup similar to the 3rd/4th gen Fbody. Face it, it would be the easiest way to setup a rear drive axle. The a and x bodies already have a panhard rod for locating and adapting lower control arm/torque arm really would be quite simple-----relatively speaking. I suppose you could go with an F body rear axle and get it narrowed, but I think a Vega/Monza one would be a closer fit and is also setup in a similar fashion. Even the 7.5" 10 bolt is way stronger than the wimpy differential that comes in the STE

86euro
02-17-2011, 02:31 AM
I think a third gen F-body rear would work well as-is... if fourth gen wheels are used or the axles are drilled to mount stock type FWD wheels.