PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the recent influx of spam

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 01:08 PM
dang, seems we've gotten nailed with spam lately!

SilentWing
01-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, they've found a way to get past the registration captcha apparently (if there is one, I think there was). Hopefully there won't be a hostile takeover of the entire forum, but I'm sure Joe and Brian will figure it out.

dcjredline
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
This will be about the 8th one I have been here though it seems. Maybe 3rd.

lemons bob
01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Heard an admin on another forum complaining about the spam attacks there too. Sounds like they are attacking all over the place now.

Duke George V
01-07-2011, 04:37 PM
As everyone is aware, we've been getting a fair amount of spam over the last week or so. Usually this isn't that big of a deal, since our moderator and admin generally take care of it in a timely manner. Real life sometimes gets in the way, as it did with Pontiac6ksteawd. I know Cutlass has said this place doesn't have enough activity to warrant more than one active moderator (I haven't seen eurosport84 in a long time, and his member page says he hasn't logged in in more than three months), but I think we need another mod who is available during the day to take care of this garbage.

CamoDeafie
01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I concur;

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
FUN. well kudos to the staff around here, anyway, for dointhe best they can on this issue

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
im on the computer at work most of the day, so i'm more than happy to help, even if it would just be a temporary thing.

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
I see 3 more likley spammers registering right now :(

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I will see if I can monitor from work. But that means asking special permission from the web admin for access. If he allows it, I will watch as much as I can.

BarnBurner, send a PM over to Cutlass and see if he has the registration software on. Thats the only thing I can think of.

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
will do.

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I just banned 1 more..

I see 3 more that are "questionable"

71Fynbar (http://www.a-body.net/forums/member.php?1319-71Fynbar)
msnweather (http://www.a-body.net/forums/member.php?1315-msnweather)
blonse

But I have the....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/LaPurr/BanStick.jpg

And I aint skeered to use it!

SilentWing
01-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Glad to hear you're getting things under control, thanks Brian. Oh and I'd tend to say msnweather is also a spammer, just because of all of the recent influx of spammers and the fact that usually when someone's new they'll post a legitimate question or explination about their car.

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 06:33 PM
DURN SKIPPY! i dont trust any of them. ya gotta watch the wording of their posts, like' i am looking forward to for sharing infos.' lol

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I actually had someone report the post by Turbokinetic about the mexican water as spam. But I saw that it wasnt..

SilentWing
01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
New one just posted :\ I know it would be a huge PITA, but for the time being until these [expletives] cool down is there any way to make it so moderator approval is needed to join?

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Got the new one. As far as Moderator aproval, that would be up to cutlass..

What really needs to happen is one of those pictures where you have to type in the numbers/letters to join. But that is also over my head..

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
what, the post in my sig? no kiddin

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 06:42 PM
i dont even remember what was there in order to join when i did, i seem to remember the picture code thing, but that might have been another forum, as most of them have those type things now. that and it was over 2 years ago LOL

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Alright guys, off to work I go. If the web admin says no, I will check when I get home, around 12 hours from now...

RIPBARNBURNER
01-07-2011, 07:16 PM
alright. when Cutlass gets back to me, ill speak with him about bringin me on as mod to help out for now

LordDurock
01-07-2011, 07:47 PM
As everyone is aware, we've been getting a fair amount of spam over the last week or so. Usually this isn't that big of a deal, since our moderator and admin generally take care of it in a timely manner. Real life sometimes gets in the way, as it did with Pontiac6ksteawd. I know Cutlass has said this place doesn't have enough activity to warrant more than one active moderator (I haven't seen eurosport84 in a long time, and his member page says he hasn't logged in in more than three months), but I think we need another mod who is available during the day to take care of this garbage.

im can do this im one variably throughout the day. and i work nights so i noticed a lot of this last few runs shows up around 9-12pm mountain time.

Duke George V
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I didn't want to seem like I was fishing for it, but I was thinking I could be the mod. I'm not working right now, so I usually sit in front of the computer most of the day, and am in and out of here all the time.

mechanizeddeath
01-08-2011, 03:10 AM
I'm also unemployed, though I haven't been on as much lately. Too many video games to work on, and too cold to go out and fuss with my car. :D

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Well, got the one that posted while at work.

I dont think a huge influx of admins is really needed. Just a approval type, or code to enter, or even a email verification system. Something to route these "evil doers" out.

SilentWing
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Just my opinion nothing more, but e-mail verification and a captcha would be a good place to start (that's what those code boxes are called) before going into needing admin approval. But again it's up to Cutlass on what he feels is best.

RIPBARNBURNER
01-08-2011, 01:33 PM
i ddi get verification that we do have recaptcha, so it seems that they found a way around it maybe. Cutlass is getting it under control :)

LordDurock
01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Just my opinion nothing more, but e-mail verification and a captcha would be a good place to start (that's what those code boxes are called) before going into needing admin approval. But again it's up to Cutlass on what he feels is best.

admin approval for a site like this is worthless. most people come to car type sits to get help....the wait just turns people away IMHO

Zaloryan
01-11-2011, 06:35 AM
I actually had someone report the post by Turbokinetic about the mexican water as spam. But I saw that it wasnt..

Seriously, someone reported that? Quite ridiculous...

This forum is quite apolitical & keeps to its main purpose. I frequent this place as much as Facebook because of that.
I'm glad we have some good moderators, hats off to you guys.

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks.. We try to keep this place you want to bring your family...

The bad part is that the forum owner doesnt own a A-body, and mine is for sale.. Thats one way to keep a un-biased view I guess.

mechanizeddeath
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah I love this place. I'm sure I'll stick around even after I've moved onto another car someday. Thanks guys

occupant
01-12-2011, 12:15 AM
You can buy a pass to auto-detect and autocomplete captcha codes. One of the things my wife does in her virtual admin business (which is f'ng booming by the way) is posting articles on social bookmarking websites (like Stumbleupon and Delicious) to get inbound links on the client's blog/website. The process involves creating fake accounts and posting using a program called BookmarkingDemon. What you're supposed to do when using the program is plug in all the login data for the article websites, then plug in the articles, then sit there and enter the captchas. But in the ever-evolving world of work, there's always a way around it. My wife bought a package from an Indian company that sells a captcha killer macro. It does get about 80% of the captchas through. And then she or I can go through and submit the articles on the 20%, which takes WAY less time and lets us post more and more and more. Which the client is happy to pay extra for.

Duke George V
01-18-2011, 02:19 AM
I'm going to reiterate my request for another mod who's available during the day. There are currently sixteen spam threads by the same account (http://www.a-body.net/forums/member.php?1266-samunellarichardson) in Off Topic, which has nearly bumped every actual thread off the front page. I've reported them all, of course. If the spam isn't dealt with, I can see it alienating the userbase and scaring off any potential new members, who'll assume we don't give a shit about spammers.

Pontiac6ksteawd
01-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Got it Duke. When I see a reported post while I am at work. I have been given the aproval to deal with it using my "lunch break", at least until the web admin decides other wise. So we should be in ok shape for now.

It might be a good idea for a day time moderator. I can do evenings, and overnights, as thats when I work. But not the AM. But that would be up to Cutlass.

occupant
01-18-2011, 02:42 AM
I'm currently available during the day but I can't say for much longer. I expect to be awarded the contract to work with this one eBay seller to handle all his CS/logistics and that's going to take away my afternoons during the week. I already work 4am-8am Sun-Fri as it is. But I would be more than happy to pop in, drop a banhammer or two, delete/move garbage, and sweep/mop when I'm done. You don't have to pay me either. I make more than enough doing the one 4am-8am job. Freelancing is a truly kickass profession! Reminds me I need to also offer to mod for the GranTorinoSport.org forum. I spend the most time there and here on a multiple times a day basis. Just let me know what I need to do.

Cutlass
01-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Until today, registration has been closed completely since the spam became an issue. Any spam postings in the past week and a half have been from users who registered before I closed it off.

Registration is now open again, but with a question/answer verification system, which I've found to cut down on spam registrations. This issue isn't specific to a-body.net - it's happening on forums everywhere. Someone figured out reCaptcha.

occupant
01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
And I was awarded that CS contract. But that doesn't mean I can't check in several times a day as I already do. Let me know if you still need an extra set of spammer-hating eyes.

Pontiac6ksteawd
02-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Alright guys. I am dealing with a family emergency. My time, for a few months, is going to be limited. I will do the best, I am not sure what all my PDA can access on this forum as for as taking care of issues.

Cutlass, i think it might be in the best interest of the forum, during my absense, that someone else be apointed a moderator of sorts. It can either be permanent, or temporary. But with my time being that limited, I am not sure I can perform to the best of my abilitys for the interests of the forum and its people.

I will keep you updated, but inbetween hospice care, work, moving, my wife, etc, my life is going to be VERY chaotic!

RIPBARNBURNER
02-12-2011, 01:35 PM
damn, Bria, im sorry to hear that. dont worry about the forum, family is most important.

SilentWing
02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that Brian. I wish you and your family the best, I don't know the situation but I've been through the hospice care with family members before and it's never easy. Good luck.

mechanizeddeath
02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear that, friend. My mother is a hospice social worker, so I'm familiar with the situation.

Blueberries
05-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Hopefully there won't be a hostile takeover of the entire forum, but I'm sure Joe and Brian will figure it out.

RIPBARNBURNER
05-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Uuummmmmmmmmm............^

occupant
05-10-2011, 01:11 PM
...http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

RIPBARNBURNER
05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Lol

Duke George V
05-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Nice. This one bothered to find out the admin and moderator's names.