PDA

View Full Version : 3.3 runs like crap?

Ken N.
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
My Buick Skylark 3.3 with 52,000 miles runs like crap when it is cold and take awhile to warm up.Last early fall I had a code that was either the t-stat or the sensor.Went with t-stat and no fix then went with sensor (flushed the radiator bad). I drive about 4 miles to work and runs like crap all the way. Then when I get off and go home and 10 minutes later I decide to take the car to a mechanic to get it in. Half way the the tem gague finally goes to 160 and runs good.Was I give a wrong degree t-stat. My son thinks the fan comes on to soon. This car sucks gas. Thanks Ken N.

SilentWing
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Sounds to me like the t-stat is sticking open and it's not warming up, I'd try going the cheapest route first and put a thermostat in it and make sure it's a 195 degree t-stat. Post back here when you've done that and if something's still wrong we can go from there :)

Ken N.
02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks silentWing maybe the new one I put in was bad or is the wrong degree.I Don't live in Chicago but in Southern Illinois were fighting to stay above 32 degrees.I'll get a GOOD thermostat and wait for a warm day.Thanks Ken N.

Prospeeder
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
this is an N body car. And did you try a good ol Tune up, basic AC plugs and NEW wires? Vacuum leaks, and air leaks in the mass meter boot will cause some shit running, as well as a dirty or bad MAF

Ken N.
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Wish I had a Celeberity!And prefer a 2.8 or3.1.This car has new plugs wires checked the coil packs and plate that holds the coil pack.Checked for vacume leaks.Don't know what a mass meter boot is.Will check the MAF. Thanks Ken N..

Prospeeder
02-07-2011, 11:42 PM
the rubber boot/tube from the throttle body to the MAF then to the air cleaner. If it has a loose clamp, a rip or anything it will let unmetered air into the system and cause it to run lean and make it run like garbage. Mass Air Flow sensor is the MAF sorry im using tech lingo, lol, i work in a shop all day as a german car tech so im using crazy terms all day

RIPBARNBURNER
02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I agree with PRO. had the same issue before, was a loose clamp, and the hose separated from the Throttle Body. put it back on, clamped it down tight, and ran perfect.