PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Side Door

philbert
04-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Now that our van is back on the road after the never-ending transmission swap, I'm more motivated to start working on some of the other issues which a 16 year old vehicle can have.

The most annoying issue at the moment is the side sliding door. It opens just fine with the switches and the key fob, however when attempting to close the door, it starts sliding back into place and once it gets to that last little bit before completely latching closed, it opens right back up again.

I have cleaned and lubed the tracks and rollers, and it appears to be hanging straight and true. Is there some sort of adjustment?

Duke George V
04-30-2011, 05:04 PM
I have a similar problem. It will open with the switch, but it won't completely close. It will make a noise like it's caught on something. I can bump it with my hip and it will close after that, but the "door open" indicator light on the dashboard will stay on. Only way I can avoid this is if I refrain from closing it with the power feature. Annoying, to be sure. I've looked many times and I can't see anything that might be stuck in either track.

SCREECH
05-01-2011, 05:25 AM
It may have something to do with calibrating the door controller. I read about it when I first got the power sliding door supplement manual for my van, but I don't recall the info off the top of my head. When I'm out in the garage in the next day or two I'll look at it again and post any relevant info.

Jr's3800
05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Have either of you pulled the fuse marked " Tail " for 30 seconds to blank the module... The reinstall the fuse and allow the module to relearn?

I have had mine do the funky deal where it won't shut completely.. Only happens when I have disconnected the battery for any reason..

I'd say try the fuse first and let it relearn..

Biggest issue I am having is with the sliding door lock solenoid....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/1995%20Pontiac%20Transport/th_TSPowerSlider.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/1995%20Pontiac%20Transport/?action=view&current=TSPowerSlider.mp4)

Duke George V
05-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Tried the fuse thing. It did alter the door's behavior, and it didn't make that horrible noise anymore. I also found out why it was acting up before. The motor was dying. Now it's dead.

philbert
05-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Jr., you are a genius. That's all it took to relearn and close/latch properly.

Now....where can I find some key fobs that aren't broken so I can put the guts of mine into good cases?

philbert
05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Well, that didn't last long....opening/closing for five cycles and it's back to the same as before.

86euro
05-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Well, that didn't last long....opening/closing for five cycles and it's back to the same as before.

I'd try it again, but also make sure the tracks are well lubed and everything is nicely adjusted.

weroberts
05-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Lube the latch in the back of the door, white lithium grease always fixed mine.

lackneramanda
01-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Now that our van is back on the road after the never-ending transmission swap, I'm more motivated to start working on some of the other issues which a 16 year old vehicle can have.

The most annoying issue at the moment is the side sliding door. It opens just fine with the switches and the key fob covers (http://www.carparts.com/Designer-Key-FOB-Covers/600027929.car), however when attempting to close the door, it starts sliding back into place and once it gets to that last little bit before completely latching closed, it opens right back up again.

I have cleaned and lubed the tracks and rollers, and it appears to be hanging straight and true. Is there some sort of adjustment?

I have A 1995 e350 and really miss having a sliding side door. Has anybody traded the barn doors for a slider? Haven't even seen one in person so wondering how much body work is required.
Thanks

SCREECH
01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I've never actually owned ANY Fords. Well, unless you count the couple that were on my trailer long enough to get to the scrap yard. :) The whole side of the van on that E350 would be different, however. So if you're wanting to have a sliding door, sell the van with the double doors and buy one with the slider. Doing anything else will just end up ruining a (and I use this term lightly) perfectly good van. :)

And that's about all I'll say about that. I suppose we should at least try to keep the thread on topic. :)

To that end, if anyone still is interested in the info that's in the U-van power sliding supplement manual, please let me know and I'll happily post it here.

Jr's3800
01-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Forgot to add, from time to time the pad on the B pillar as well as the probes for the power sliding door may need to be cleaned from time to time, if the pads are not conducting the voltage they should be this can also cause a malfunction of the door... Just another thing to try...