PDA

View Full Version : Cruise contorl/ wiper contorl

tallbump
02-06-2008, 03:23 PM
So, my cruise has not worked since I got the car, and neither has the intermittent feature of the wipers.
The only thing that works is hi or low. Turn signals work fine.
I see tons of the stalks on eBay, so I assume this is a fairly common problem?
How do you replace the stalk?

85_Ciera_Rebuild
02-07-2008, 02:48 AM
So, my cruise has not worked...How do you replace the stalk?

Is your assumption is that this will fix the cruise?

Look here: Vehicle Selection: Step 1 of 4 (http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm)

tallbump
02-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, since neither the wipers or the cruise work correctly, I assumed that this will work.
Looked at those instructions, sounds simple enough.
Thanks

dcjredline
02-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Ive had the stalk fix cruise on 2 GM's in the past. Those thin little wires must break internally;

SCREECH
02-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, since neither the wipers or the cruise work correctly, I assumed that this will work.

While replacing the control lever will likely fix the problem with your cruise control (I myself have had to do this on at least one of my vehicles), it will not resolve your lack of pulse wiper operation. The control lever (or "stalk" as some call it) simply mechanically activates the wiper switch in the column when you rotate the lever or push on the wiper collar. The switch itself is housed within the column. Then there's also the wiper module which is mounted to the wiper motor - this is my bet for being the cause of the problem. The pulse-equipped wiper systems have a different switch in the column and control board on the wiper motor than the non-pulse wiper systems. The control board which is attached to the wiper motor includes a solid state unit, which is very possibly what has failed. Grab a new wiper motor (or just the control board) from your local salvage yard (they're usually quite costly if purchased new) and swap that out. I'd be surprised if that didn't fix it.

I've don't recall ever having to replace a wiper switch - it's always been the control board on the wiper motor. Remember, they're stuck under the hood with all the engine heat and whatnot, so they don't have an easy life, for sure. The switch itself is safely tucked away in your column.

Anyway, let us know what it turns out to be.

Tuddi
02-11-2008, 03:40 AM
The control board which is attached to the wiper motor includes a solid state unit, which is very possibly what has failed.

That's the one that's gone in mine. If anyone can find a working unit from a JY, I'd be interested in getting one.

centurycoupe
02-11-2008, 12:26 PM
got the same prob in my ciera.just the intermittent wiper not working.is the c-module easier than the switch?

SCREECH
02-11-2008, 10:04 PM
...is the c-module easier than the switch?

Oh HEAVENS YES!! :rofl: Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm just trying to find opportunities to use different "smileys" - it seems I'm always using the same ones. :werd: Anyway, to change the switch requires tearing the column apart and feeding wiring down the column. To change the control module requires unscrewing the circuit board from the wiper motor, easily accessible under the hood, and unplugging the wiring harness. Worst case, if you have to remove the wiper motor, it'll still be easier than tearing the column apart. :thumbsup:

85_Ciera_Rebuild
02-12-2008, 12:15 AM
If anyone can find a working unit from a JY, I'd be interested in getting one.

Got a photo of it?

Tuddi
02-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Got a photo of it?

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/WiperMotorChevre.jpg

This is what it looks like from the outside. I have tried to find one over here, but without even a shadow of luck attached to it.