PDA

View Full Version : WOW RP oil change in the firebird today

dcjredline
05-08-2011, 02:05 PM
HOLY SHITTTTTTT what a different car it is with some Royal Purple 5W30!! I have driven it for the last 2 nice days before changing the oil today and after taking it out was a totally different beast. I can break the back tires MUCH MUCH easier and longer now. Even spun em from a 5-9mph roll!!! Never been able to do that. Would normally just maybe squeek them. Second gear spins a tad now too not just a squeek. AUTO trans on top of it.

luthoro
05-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Royal Purple is very good. But its also very expensive.

zets6000
05-08-2011, 05:21 PM
How much better is RP over Mobil 1? Is it worth all the extra money for it?

Zaloryan
05-08-2011, 09:22 PM
How much better is RP over Mobil 1? Is it worth all the extra money for it?

If you send a request to Royal Purple asking what types of minerals they use in their oil, they politely refuse to say. Their reasoning is that people buy a good product on the basis that it is a good product, and also to discourage people making 'copycat' oil formulas.
This article opened my eyes on rear end oil: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

If the results of the tests are any indication of each brand's quality, I apply those results to engine oil in similar fashion. Crappy rear end oil? Engine oil probably isn't so great either.

dcjredline
05-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Well as far as expense its not a factor to me NOT CAUSE I AM RICH but because the car gets only one oil change a year. Let me put the RP/Mobile 1 question to rest... LAST year I had Mobile 1 oil in it and the difference I felt today is the diff between RP and Mobil 1!!! I put the good mobile 1 in it not the cheapie the full synthetic. I have also run the good Valvoline Syn power for about the 2 or 3 previous to M1. I think the RP is FAR superior to M1 or my old fav Valvoline.

Next up for the Formula is RP gear oil and then hopefully later this summer some RP trans fluid also. I am very excited to drive the car again.

As I change the oil one once per year in my 48" commercial walk behind mower also I will be using RP in that as well.

lemons bob
05-09-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm not really sure I would trust mobile 1. I know subarus burn through it for some reason, and on friday I was talking with some other car guys and they seemed to have troubles when using it too.

Pontiac6ksteawd
05-09-2011, 04:53 AM
I like RP, how ever... I will not use any oil that doesnt not have a detergant in it. RP doesnt.

I pretty much use Kendal Oils, and Valvoline..

zets6000
05-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Well sounds like some good testimony, I'll definitely consider the purple stuff on my next oil change which is coming up soon. I've always ran Mobil 1, so I'll take your word for it.

dcjredline
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Drove it again this am to work. Second gear is still CRAZY!! So is launch. When it shifts to second now the car jerks sideways!!! ITS A HOOT. It used to squeak second pretty regularly but now it breaks both rear tires for a second. Forget about turning the tires at launch, its CAKE now. Im not gonna say it ADDED HP but it sure did free some of them up to make it to the back wheels. Ive owned this car since 2004 and it has about 128k miles on it bought it at 114k and have driven it hard PLENTY in the past.

luthoro
05-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Valvoline all day for me. See the sig.

dcjredline
05-15-2011, 03:10 AM
Got some RP 10W30 for the Pizza car tonight. Gonna change it tomorrow. I will update everyone and MPG will be obvious with this car as I track it very strictly.

dcjredline
05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Didnt notice such an improvement in the Colt. Does seem to idle smoother that could just be me. MPG review will take about a week so I can run a couple fill ups through it. I am at about 25-27 ish delivering prior to RP oil.

Century7667
05-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I've been using Mobil 1 since '96. Two cars since they were new; both have 130k+, and use no oil at all. Easy starts in the cold.

Ken t.

Pontiac6ksteawd
05-18-2011, 01:16 AM
As I stated befor. I like Royal Purple. I wont use it, because the oil does not contain any detergants that a petroleom based burning engine requires.

dcjredline
05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Dont know what your talking about but the bottle of 5W30 I have is certified with the API SL category and here is the description from http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/index.cfm "SL CURRENT For 2004 and older automotive engines."

SO it looks to be that API says it is the current oil grade to use in 2004 and older vehicles. Dont know why they would say its ok if these engines "REQUIRE" detergents and RP didnt have them in there?

Care to explain?

Century7667
05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Yeah, that sounds right. Anything beyond SA has some detergents in it, else no certification.

Ken T.

Pontiac6ksteawd
05-18-2011, 10:18 PM
I see nothing in that listing about detergents. All the API certifications mean is that a oil meets certain criteria for viscosity, thremal breakdown, lubricity, sludge control, and other such items.

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/MOTOR_OIL_GUIDE_2010_120210.pdf

Some oils use detergents to meet these criterias, others use an advanced refining method to acomplish it. Detergents are not required in any of the listings.

I will explain why...

Some engines, like lawn mowers, air compressors, old VW Bug engines, etc, dont use an oil filter. Now how the detergents work is by suspending the "grime/sludge" in the oil, to be filtered out in the oil filter. Other oils that dont have detergents, do NOT suspend the "grime/sludge" in the oil, but try to take it to the bottom of the oil pan for it to be drained out in the next oil service.

Ussually speaking, SAE weights, like straight 30/40/50 dont have detergents, as these are usually the grades used in lawn mowers and the like.

RP does NOT use detergents. I worked for Ashland Oil some time ago, and this is how I know about the detergents, requirements, and the like. There are oils out there that do not use detergents, usually oils designed for, like I said, lawn mowers, or extreme performance engines, where the oil in the engine doesnt get left in the crankcase for more than 3 passes.

Now I am not downing RP. I have used it in my High Perf cars befor. But I also changed the oil every 100 miles.

Century7667
05-19-2011, 02:18 AM
That sounds reasonable to me, but SA does explicitly say "no additives." That would suggest additives. However, I think a bit more research is in order...at least to satisfy my curiosity!

Ken T.

dcjredline
05-19-2011, 01:49 PM
In my mind it meets the needs for the specs for "ALL ENGINES" from 2004 and older so it wont harm anything and it also doesnt say that if you use ND oil they recommend oil change intervals being anything different. Plus HUNDREDS of people have logged thousands of miles on the RP oils in street cars so I am not worried too much in general.

I really dont care one way or the other (itll give me a good excuse to rebuild the engine) and I am more trying to find facts not what someone else said etc. Thanks for the info.

Drop Top Olds
02-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Sorry, but changing the oil in your engine is not going to make the engine suddenly turn into a higher performing engine. That would be like saying you switched the old $20 bill in your wallet for a new one and now you are Bill Gates. :dunno: