PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold leak 3300

ericwormser
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
i have a 90 cutlass ciera with an intake manifold leak on the front and rear of the drivers side.

the engine has been overheated a few times, but nothing that totally killed the motor. i just let it cool and added some coolant and went on my way.

i'm just wondering if it's the intake gaskets that go out and need replacing or if i warped the intake/heads/anything else.

the radiator now has a leak in it from what i'm guessing to be overheating and just blown out the radiator.

if the car has coolant in it, it runs just as well as it ever has. there is no water in the oil and the car has about 108k miles on it.

i need some opinions because my mechanic told me to throw the car away because i destroyed the engine. i haven't gotten any second opinions yet.

I NEED OPINIONS!!! :eek3:

notsoslimshady76
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Thats a tough one. The 3300 usually doesn't have gasket problems. If it runs fine as long as there's coolant in it, I'm willing to bet nothing is warped. Tear into the motor and see if the intake gaskets are leaking. If not, then its the head gasket.

And for god sakes, try to do the work yourself so you don't spend the car's cost in labor! lol

CieraSL92
02-21-2008, 05:14 PM
How bad was it overheated? The cylinder heads and block are iron, so they dont warp very easily. How many times did it overheat? The intake manifold gaskets are known to fail, not on this motor though, but they do. The headgaskets aren't problematic. Ex: my 92 Ciera 3300 had been overheated quite a few times prior to my owning it. New cooling fan harness and a t-stat and it hasn't done it since (my point, no damage appears to have been done)

Replacing the intake gasket isn't that bad, but once you get that far into it you may want to replace the head gaskets anyway.

Edit: With 108k miles I wouldn't throw it away. Determine why it overheated.

a1veedubber
02-21-2008, 05:22 PM
How to you know there is an intake manifold leak? It is possible that the radiator was leaking the whole time and discharged your coolant causing the car to overheat. My 89 Ciera did this very thing and was the reason I was able to buy it so cheaply. I've also seen cars with coolant leaks that only leaked when the car was at temp and the system is under pressure.

ericwormser
02-21-2008, 08:12 PM
How to you know there is an intake manifold leak? It is possible that the radiator was leaking the whole time and discharged your coolant causing the car to overheat. My 89 Ciera did this very thing and was the reason I was able to buy it so cheaply. I've also seen cars with coolant leaks that only leaked when the car was at temp and the system is under pressure.the mechanic pressurized my cooling system and showed me the water pouring out of the radiator along with some water seeping out of the intake.

In reply to other posts, the car has been overheated about 6 or 7 times mostly on my old radiator. it's overheated to the point of knocking and such on this radiator only once. That about once about a week ago in the last 6 months. I think the intake mani has been leaking this whole time but he is using it as an excuse not the replace the radiator under warranty.

LordDurock
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
well you can do the rad your self it rather easy. just disconet all the ose going to after you have drained the collent system un bolts it and fill. again

CieraSL92
02-22-2008, 12:57 AM
So it overheated until it knocked?

If there's still no water in the oil at this point I would def. consider replacing the radiator and intake YOURSELF. If you use a mechanic, this will likely exceed the book value of the car.

Also, a compression test will yield valueable information about the cylinders/piston/rings condition, in addition to the head gaskets ability to seal.

When I first got into automotive repair, it was because it was either learn to fix or walk. I detest walking. I couldn't afford a mechanic, so I learned. This might not be a bad time. A haynes manual is a great place to start for your car, and they run all of $15 at Autozone.

LordDurock
02-22-2008, 03:54 PM
When I first got into automotive repair, it was because it was either learn to fix or walk. I detest walking. I couldn't afford a mechanic, so I learned. This might not be a bad time. A haynes manual is a great place to start for your car, and they run all of $15 at Autozone.

+1

some one said thisi think but worping of cast iron heads on a cast iron block rarly happens. it hte stupid aluminam head on a iron block that suck.