PDA

View Full Version : Headlights?

Techfizzle
03-05-2008, 02:45 AM
Will the comp headlamps off a 95' ciera fit an 88 the part numbers are diffrent from 87-90 and 91-96 yet the header panel is the same one. If it's something simple as a diffrent bulb-connector etc, its ok.

dcjredline
03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Probably a different mount and connector.

85 Holiday
03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't know why they are different but from what I have seen it'll mount up the same. It will use the same style bulb too.

bodega1027
03-08-2008, 12:52 AM
I just changed out a headlight housing on my '91 6000... went to the junkyard and pulled another headlight housing (a Bosch I think) that LOOKED the same, but when I got it home I noticed it had different part numbers (only the last two digits or so though), and I realized I had composite headlights, and the housing I bought took standard bulbs. The only difference between the two really though, were the little twist out mounts that WERE in mine, but NOT in the new one.

I was able to make it work, but there was an issue: the composite bulb mounts in mine looked like they were going to fit, but they were stuck pretty firmly. There were two mounts (headlight and highbeam), and one had a sheet metal screen (that's not a good descriptor, just the only one I can think of) that went around the headlight, and I was able to stick a little wrench in it and twist it out pretty easily. The HIGHBEAM, however, had absolutely no way to grip it, and I ended up destroying my old housing getting it out (mostly unintentionally).

It did work though... the twist out mounts from my composite housing DID fit nicely into the standard housing (I think the mounts are built to mimic the way the twist-in bulb mounts, but I wasn't paying enough attention to be sure).

I guess the moral of the story is... make sure they're interchangeable before destroying your old housing?

SexySilhouette
03-08-2008, 01:47 AM
I know I used a 1992 headlight on my 1988...Been too long to know what I did different though...

Techfizzle
03-30-2008, 03:07 AM
I got my first headlight in the mail. It was in ok shape.
1. What can I do to make it shiny? (the glass from the outside?)
2. Why are there diffrent years on ebay for the comp headlights I have had 88 90 and 93 on there and they all worked?

1995 Gold Ciera
03-30-2008, 03:11 AM
You can pick up a headlight cleaning compound in any store such as Wal-Mart, etc. Or you can try this stuff call GS27 scratch remover first. I have used it on plenty of faded headlights before and it works great.

However, if the glass is yellowed or stained on the inside, there's a good chance you might have a leak so be wary.