PDA

View Full Version : Custom cluster harnesses for C1 and C2

Tonglebeak
03-05-2008, 02:49 AM
Does anyone know of anyway to make a custom C1 and C2 connector harness for the idiot->gauge cluster, so that the harness connects to the C1 and C2 harnesses? If so, that would make the swap MUCH less scarier as it wouldn't require removing the dash or any splicing, just plug and go :)

Electra_T_Type
03-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Ya know you probably could, get some donor harnesses from the jy and trace wires from a factory service manual.

Tonglebeak
03-05-2008, 04:13 AM
Yeah, that's what I was implying...I already have the harnesses and the diagrams. Not sure if you were here a year ago when I had everything mapped out, but I didn't go through with dash removal and splicing because the dash is already fragile and I didn't want to risk splicing the wrong things, or coming up short with a wire or something retarded shit like that. This question is simply asking how to to interface with the current harnesses in order to connecto to them without splicing.

dcjredline
03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
You'll need a couple female sides of each plug then you can wire between them. Then the additional wires would need to be run out to the engine for anything that is not on the original cluster.

Tonglebeak
03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
You'll need a couple female sides of each plug then you can wire between them. Then the additional wires would need to be run out to the engine for anything that is not on the original cluster.

Yeah. What sucks though is how the current cluster is...it just slides over the harness, and is only held in place by the bolts that secure the cluster to the dash (the tracers touch the harness, don't click or anything).

I'll get a pic of the back of the cluster real shortly...

Tonglebeak
03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3617/dscn0815jd2.jpg

dcjredline
03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah there prolly isnt a female side for something like that huh. Duhhh.

Looks like some wire splicing is the only way to do it then and have the new connector sticking out where the old one is.

Get a plan on paper from the diagrams, have the new plug all set up with the factory colors for car and just connect those to the appropriate wires in the car then run any extra wires needed.

Tonglebeak
03-07-2008, 01:19 AM
No ideas on making a female connector?

86euro
03-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Why not just re-pin the wires to the correct terminals for the gauge setup? I could have swore I posted how to do that a while ago:dunno: Any wires that are lacking can just be added and run to where they need to go.

Tonglebeak
03-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Because there is almost 0 slack. Was jus ttrying to think of a way to do this without having to remove the dash, which is fragile at this point.

Plus I don't remember how to repin, but that's beside the point :\