PDA

View Full Version : Neutral safety switch?

85Eurosport
12-26-2011, 11:22 PM
My sister has a 92 trans sport and very often she has trouble starting it while its in park. You turn the key and all the dash lights will come on and everything but when you flick it to start nothing happens, no click, no nothing. However if you throw it in neutral it'll start, is this the NSS flaking out or is there another common problem.

I had a 1989 Grand Prix with this same problem but it wasn't as persistent nor did I even have to shift it into neutral, usually after a second shot it would start.

Also while I am on the subject, if it IS the NSS where is that located on the Trans Sports?

86euro
12-27-2011, 03:19 AM
That certainly sounds like the culprit. The switch is mounted right on top of the transmission, under the shift lever.

SCREECH
01-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Be careful when unbolting it - there's two or three bolts through the switch into the top of the transaxle, and the nut on top of the shift shaft before you can slide the switch off. Breaking the bolts that hold the switch to the transaxle - bad. Breaking the top of the shift shaft when removing the nut - real bad. Spray them down with penetrating fluid and let it soak if there's any doubt that it'll come apart cleanly.

The wiring harness will have one or two of those silly little plastic tabs that you have to pull out before you can disconnect the harness plug(s). I hate those little things. :)