PDA

View Full Version : will a Chevy S10 motor work for Cutlass Ciera?

87Cutlass Ciera
03-14-2008, 03:41 AM
I hate to post a new thread, but....
I can get my hands on a few Iron Dukes, but... They're out of Chevy S10s. so they're for a rear wheel drive setup. Do you guys know if it will work? I highly doubt it, the brackets for the PS and alternator would be in totaly differen't spots, I'm going to get some pictures of these motors and hopefully then I can see what it looks like. Until then I'll take the advice from here.

BTW I almost lost it tonight with the TDI club forum:rant:. I posted something on there about my current vehicle the 93 Passat, and I never got a reply, and never got a reply, and ever since I joined that damn forum I've posted questions about the car but never got replies, Might as well try getting water from a rock, it would be quicker and easier! So I was going to let em have it, but somebody answered my question, and I tamed down a little, but I hate that forum.:pffft: On this site however, everybody loves to talk!! I love it!!! (I know i keep saying this but you guys are all so amazing!) Thanks for keeping me in the know! :thumbsup:

CRC

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-14-2008, 04:15 AM
...Iron Dukes, but... They're out of Chevy S10s. so they're for a rear wheel drive setup. Do you guys know if it will work?

He who has interchange book might know...

I think the S10 Iron Duke will mate to transmission just fine ...but, one will have to look at motor mounts/etc to see what differences exist...if S10 Engine's Code and your Iron Duke engine code (R) are the same, then it should work.

There were two types of Iron Dukes made for mating to transmissions...the V-90 bell-housing shape, and V-60 bell-housing shape. V-90 were used mainly on Jeeps, and V-60s mostly on GM vehicles...but, I'm not sure about early production of Iron Dukes (1977 to say 1983 era).

a1veedubber
03-14-2008, 05:27 AM
I am *pretty* sure that the RWD 2.5's use a 90-degree bellhousing. Also, the accessory mounting locations are completely different. Not sure what else though...

SexySilhouette
03-14-2008, 08:04 PM
I am *pretty* sure that the RWD 2.5's use a 90-degree bellhousing. Also, the accessory mounting locations are completely different. Not sure what else though...

Correct.

LordDurock
03-14-2008, 08:08 PM
I hate to post a new thread, but....
I can get my hands on a few Iron Dukes, but... They're out of Chevy S10s. so they're for a rear wheel drive setup. Do you guys know if it will work? I highly doubt it, the brackets for the PS and alternator would be in totaly differen't spots, I'm going to get some pictures of these motors and hopefully then I can see what it looks like. Until then I'll take the advice from here.

BTW I almost lost it tonight with the TDI club forum:rant:. I posted something on there about my current vehicle the 93 Passat, and I never got a reply, and never got a reply, and ever since I joined that damn forum I've posted questions about the car but never got replies, Might as well try getting water from a rock, it would be quicker and easier! So I was going to let em have it, but somebody answered my question, and I tamed down a little, but I hate that forum.:pffft: On this site however, everybody loves to talk!! I love it!!! (I know i keep saying this but you guys are all so amazing!) Thanks for keeping me in the know! :thumbsup:

CRC

lol i though that to but i got my repliels last night. (TDI CLUB)

if the bell hosing patters at the same all you need to do is take the plate of the front of you 2.5 and place it warethe water pump on hte RWD 2.5 is. take the water pump "runner" and pump of yours and place it ware the plate is on the side of the RWD 2.5 and chage out the brackets. it accutly that easy
whats you TDI qeustion (i know diesel ;) well kinda)

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-14-2008, 09:07 PM
I personally wouldnt attempt a S10 motor. There is quite a bit of work involved into getting one to work with a FWD platform.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Correct.

A "mechanic" told me the other week that RWD Iron Dukes in S10s had V-60 Bell Housing setup.

When I researched this before,

Chevrolet V8 pattern: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_bellhousing_patterns)

# GM Iron Duke RWD inline 4 (Early RWD Variants, later versions may use a FWD pattern, and have two possible starter locations)

# Jeep 2.5L/151 in³ Jeep used the GM Iron Duke inline 4 1980-1983. These use a Chrysler Torqueflite 904 automatic transmission with a Chevrolet bellhousing.

=================

GM metric pattern

Also called the GM small corporate pattern

This pattern has a distinctive odd-sided hexagonal shape.

* GM 60° V6 family FWD/RWD V6; 2.8/3.1/3.4 L
# 1984-03 Jeep/AMC/Chrysler 2.5L/150 in³ I4 found in Jeep Cherokee, Wagoneer, Comanche, and Wrangler models (except Grand Wagoneer & Grand Cherokee) and 1996-2002 Dodge Dakotas.

# Jeep/AMC 2.8L V6 (GM engine)

# GM Iron Duke FWD inline 4

# 1984-93 GM Iron Duke/Tech-4 RWD inline 4

SexySilhouette
03-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Mounts are WAY different as well...

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-15-2008, 01:52 AM
Mounts are WAY different as well...

All I know, is get your camera out, take snapshots of where stuff is mounted to block, and compare.

Having starter on one side, then the other, just might be a problem, unless you have a standard transmission, and lots of hills to go down to start it.

86euro
03-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I believe the s-10 dukes used the fwd pattern, but as several people have already mentioned, there are several other differences that would need to be overcome. Simply not worth it, no matter how good of a deal you can get on the motor.

LordDurock
03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
if he finds that the mouting poist are the same then he is good to go.

86euro
03-16-2008, 03:28 PM
if he finds that the mouting poist are the same then he is good to go.

Not really. Pretty sure S10's used a dizzy and not coil packs, the starter is likely on the wrong side and the water neck is on the wrong end of the cylinder head.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Simply not worth it, no matter how good of a deal you can get on the motor.

I've been looking for a RWD Iron Duke motor for another vehicle (1972 Volvo 142)...but fat chance around here...only one I know of, he won't let go of it.

In any event, I suspect a RWD Iron Duke (V-60 Bell) could be made to work since it has at least two motor mounts already on it...might have to fabricate something and maybe not.

On FWD Iron Duke, I figured it would mount into a rear wheel vehicle OK...but I would have to fabricate two motor mounts.

LordDurock
03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Not really. Pretty sure S10's used a dizzy and not coil packs, the starter is likely on the wrong side and the water neck is on the wrong end of the cylinder head.

if you read my other post the s10 2.5 should have a water pump on the front of the head. if you look there a plate coveing that for hte fwd setup. from my reading there a plate on the s10 head were the water neck goes for the fwd set up.

start bolt if there wrong are easy get a drill and a tap.

gm is smart they usaly dont cast 5 diffritn blocks to do for 5 cars they cast 1 or maybe 2.

87Cutlass Ciera
03-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Well I keep bugging the guy but he won't e-mail me back. I've sent him a list of pictures I need. I don't know if I'm going to keep the Cutlass C now or not. I've spotted an 81 Citation X11 on Kijiji, and I'm thinking about maybe trading the Cutlass C for it. I don't know though, I love my Cutlass C, but I've wanted a Citation X11 for awhile. Here's a few pics of the car.
http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i10/02/k/000/79/05/75bb_18.JPG?set_id=1C4000

http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i5/02/k/000/79/05/75a9_18.JPG?set_id=1C4000&back=-1

http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i5/07/k/000/79/05/75db_18.JPG?set_id=1C4000&back=-3

http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i10/03/k/000/79/05/7602_18.JPG?set_id=1C4000&back=-4
I'd try to buy it from him first, cause I'd love to hold on to the Cutlass Ciera, but that would mean another car in the backyard (which would push the total to... 7)

CRC