PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel replacement

Tonglebeak
03-21-2008, 09:42 PM
I got my black leather fiero steering wheel off ebay today...I feel like I was ripped off. The leather looked so much nicer in the picture than it does in my lap, but meh, it needs restored anyways.

In any case, two questions:

1) Is it possible to remove the wheel without using a steering wheel puller?
2) Which fuse controls the horn? I'd rather just pull that fuse than disconnecting the battery.

ochy38
03-21-2008, 10:10 PM
the fuse that controls the horn is the same that controls the radio and courtesy lights and such in my celeb. as far as the steering wheel, its on there pretty tight so idk if there is a way to take it off without one. I know advance auto will let you use a puller for like 10 bucks, and you get that ten bucks back when you bring the tool back to them, so its basically free.

Electra_T_Type
03-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Just rent the puller otherwise if you pull hard enough you can bend the wheel (Don't ask). I've done it before with out taking the power off.

86euro
03-22-2008, 12:36 AM
1. Yes, but it ruins the center shaft of the column.
2. Why? There's no need to disable the horn, you just disconnect it before you pull the wheel.

CieraSL92
03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
x2 on what 86 said. It's either a fuse labeled HORN in the glovebox, or the CTSY fuse. Don't remember which. You could remove fuses and attempt to honk the horn and see when it stops.

Tonglebeak
03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Alright, I got a puller from AZ. no instructions, but I eventually figured it out. I also figured out that there were two nus on the backside of the wheel holding the original steering wheel's horn pad into place (I found this out after I broke the horn pad).

Got the new wheel installed, torqued down the nut, and it works just fine. The only issue I have, is the horn. I had no idea where to hook the horn lead at. Burgundy, perhaps you can shine some light on this...I tried just putting the lead inside the wheel, but as soon as the wheel grounded, horn went off, so now I have no horn right now.

86euro
03-23-2008, 01:27 AM
The horn lead should also have a spring and a plastic tube on it that has a little tiny tab on the end (of the tube). The plastic tube is what holds the wire into the tube sticking out of the column. It just goes in and twists like a taillight bulb and the spring keeps tension on it.

Tonglebeak
03-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Right, that much I got. It's hooking the other side in that's an issue. The orginal wheel had a small piece that the lead plugged into (spade terminal?), this wheel doesn't have that.

86euro
03-23-2008, 04:47 AM
What holds the horn button to the wheel? Is it a metal ring that's held on with three torx screws? If so, I can take some pictures of how it goes together.

Tonglebeak
03-23-2008, 05:20 AM
For the fiero wheel, nothing holds it on except clips that are easlily pried off.

MR2Di4
03-23-2008, 04:52 PM
If the leather looks worn out you could try some black shoe polish to bring the shine back. When it's applied, rubbed in and buffed properly it shouldn't wear off on your hands. I used to do this on my MR2's steering wheel and was amazed at the difference.

Tonglebeak
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
The leather's actually twisted x_x

turbokinetic
06-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Every time I take a deep breath I think about pulling a steering wheel. Back when I was about 17 or 18 I visited a friend of mine in Jackson, MS (about a 3 hour ride). He and his buddies were bastardizing and defiling a 1980's Malibu into a "hotrod." They had installed some horribly mismatched cam into the engine and installed headers and some old, crusty Holley mechanical secondary carb that was wore out years ago.

They wanted to install an undersize (and illegal) steering wheel but had no wheel puller. I explained to loosen the nut 2 or 3 turns, then pull REAL HARD and the wheel will pop off the splines.

None of them could do it so I was going to "show them how it's done." Everyone was watching intently. All the "big boys" couldn't get it off, and they were hoping I would also fail. I was about 165 pounds to their 200 so they stood to take a lot of ridicule if I got it off.

Having done this exact task before, I knew what it would take and sat down in the seat. I "bowed up" on it and it was indeed VERY stuck. I kept pulling harder and harder and harder... and it popped off! And hit my face with enough force to break my nose and black both eyes. Those IDIOTS had completely removed the steering wheel nut, and I hadn't looked. I couldn't feel my face, could only see "lights spinning" and thought for a minute my teeth were missing.

The blood went everywhere. I was amazed that much blood could come from something as small as a nose. It soaked paper towels, blue rags, and an old t-shirt before it stopped. Then on the way home that night, the darn thing started bleeding AGAIN and all I could do was sop it up with my shirt. Looked like I had been in a war. There must be a lot of blood in a person. A lot sure leaked out and I didn't feel any ill effects (other than a busted face). Live and learn.
David

86euro
06-02-2008, 03:21 AM
OUCH! Never tried it exactly like that, I doubt I'm strong enough. I pulled on the wheel as close to the center as possible, then whacked on the center shaft with a hammer. This way usually buggers up the shaft pretty good.

Tuddi
06-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Knock yourself out situation in a nutshell. I have only gotten the steeringwheel in the forehead... but that was enough.... I don't envy you for your more bloody edition.

Another episode of mine.... I was working on the car during Icelandic wintertime, and it was darn cold outside. The engine was running and I put my hands in the stream of hot air from the radiator fan in an attempt to thaw up the fingers. I then looked away while talking to my brother, and a second or so later my hand got in contact with a faulty sparkplug wire, giving me an electric high voltage impulse, causing the muscles in my arm to retract and me hammering the fist in my face at full force.

Bloody nose, busted lip.... but I didn't sweep myself off the feet.

dcjredline
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I too have had a steering wheel pop off and hit me in the forehead. Went out and BOUGHT a puller $20 the next day!! Had it for 15+ years now and used it prolly 8 times. Worth EVERY PENNY.