PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil

ccd0764
03-23-2008, 03:39 AM
I just recently purchased a 1996 Ciera with 79,000 and 3100 v6. Last week I changed the oil. I used what the manual recommended, 10w30 for this area. I was thinking should next time I switch to synthetic? What are your opions on this. Thanks for any response.

LordDurock
03-23-2008, 03:57 AM
i would run a syn blend for a about 3 oil changes to get hte seals used to the syn then swith over. just me.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-23-2008, 04:03 AM
switch to synthetic?

I'm from the old school...change the oil every 2,000/3,000 miles.

Waste of money, imho, and I have several vehicles hovering around 200,000 miles that used the regular oils.

I realize you get "extended service intervals," but hey, Mobil puts out a regular oil, Clean 5000, that's "Proven Protection for 5,000 Miles, Guaranteed!

I've never bean-counted miles vs cost, but since I change my own oil, I rather doubt I would come out ahead with synthetic.

My advice, get the largest filter that can be screwed on, and change oil every several thousand miles. I drive dusty roadways, so my change interval is at fewer miles.

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-23-2008, 06:35 AM
I run synthetic oils in my Turbo car because the synthetic stuff doesnt break down as fast under the turbo heat as fast as dino oil.

My 6000 gets synthetic in it because thats what it had befor I bought it.

My Subaru gets what ever is on sale. Hey its a lease, I dont care.

BBrip84Oatsie95
03-23-2008, 03:29 PM
I just recently purchased a 1996 Ciera with 79,000 and 3100 v6. Last week I changed the oil. I used what the manual recommended, 10w30 for this area. I was thinking should next time I switch to synthetic? What are your opions on this. Thanks for any response.

Nice pick up, and :welcome: !!

LordDurock
03-23-2008, 05:00 PM
my freind have seen a 2-3 mile per gallon incress with syn oils and longer barring life befor the old thinker oil trick. im a deisel guy we run syn becuase it helps with the diesel soot in the oil.

CieraSL92
03-24-2008, 02:43 AM
I've seen plenty of engines run 300k+ with conventional oil. Unless it's a diesel, conventional is just fine. Synthetic is useless in these cars as far as I'm concerned, since most of the wear that synthetic MAY have prevented, has already occured.

Change it roughly every 3-4k and your set.

The exceptions to this are when you have a car thats been run on synthetic all its life OR if the manufactuer reccomends it. Then I'd do it, otherwise, I'm happy with plain old Castrol.

notsoslimshady76
03-24-2008, 02:51 AM
I agree. I buy whatever oil is on sale.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-25-2008, 01:29 AM
...2-3 mile per gallon incress with syn oils..

I think I hear some bull...

1. AMSOIL Synthetic Oil gives a 5% increase in fuel economy on average (http://www.go-synthetic.com/Gas_Savings/gas_savings.htm)

but this dude claims,

2. "...we got 30 mpg to 32 mpg consistently..." with regular oil, but "we got 38 mpg to 40 mpg consistently" with synthetic oil. (http://morempg.blogspot.com/)

Btw, 5% increase at 30 mpg is about 1.5 mpg increase to 31.5 mpg...this last dude claims 20% increase with synthetic...but his "calculation shows" up to 25% (32 to 40).

Long story short, maybe on a small or big block V8 motor, one might see a 5% increase, but on smaller motors, I really doubt it.

LordDurock
03-25-2008, 01:36 AM
not realy some cars will do it try running a vw deisel with out syn oil it will get about 5 mpg drop................yuck........yet other get will get the 2mpg incress. you just have to see

the bottom dude is a dumb a$$ i love the atf part..........atf it a crap lube.......you cant have a good lube in a trany it cause the clutchs to slip lol

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-25-2008, 02:51 AM
...yet other get will get the 2mpg incress

If I can find out and fix that oil leak(s) in my 88 Beretta's 2.8 motor, I may try synthetic, once.

I have not seen any dyno motors on synthetic, with the results via horsepower load. Hearsay, don't cut it in my book.

Mileage is very much affected via wind drag...and with a good tailwind, I can get up to 35 mpg, instead of around 27 mpg...that's why it needs to be tested on a dyno setup.

I'm running 10w-40 now, and can't see any difference in fuel mileage....it may be there, but in the tenths of mpg.

Compared to oils of yester-years, I would agree there is a difference, but today's oils are so much slicker than say the SJ oil or before. If you can run some of that 5w-20, it is quite thin, and will give a pinch...but I understand the reason why OEMs use it is to gain a tenth or two increase in mpg, not a percent or two, but in tenths of mpg.

CieraSL92
03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
I saw a commercial quite some time ago, when I was much much younger (mid 90s?) It was for some additive you put into the gas tank. It wasn't really a commercial, but an infomercial. They 'said' they drained each engine of oil and coolant and had people drive them around all day yadda yadda yadda 90+ degrees out A/C engines fine.. Obviously it's flaming bullshit, but does anyone happen to know the name of this product?

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
does anyone happen to know the name of this product?

Snake Oil

Usually at farm shows, there is someone around with that product....but,kept in mind they are not using full horsepower...if they loaded the engine, it would go Kaput quickly.

Jr's3800
03-26-2008, 06:37 PM
He could use Synthetic if he wants.... It is better than conventional and holds up better than conventional.. There isn't any reason why he couldn't or shouldn't... Its his choice...

I run Synthetic in my 95 Bonneville as I am abusive to the car and I want an oil that will hold up to that abuse... I even run the same Mobil 1 in my mowers...

Either way...

Welcome tot he A Body board.... Conventional or Synthetic will be fine..

85_Ciera_Rebuild
04-01-2008, 03:39 AM
What are your opions on this

Here's a "study"

Synthetic Oil Life Study (http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html)

We accept that for most people in most cars, regular old "dinosaur juice" mineral-based motor oil will work just fine. We have seen plenty of cars run beyond 150,000 miles and 200,000 miles using the stuff as long as the oil is changed regularly. However, not everyone is content with "good enough". Some want extra protection for their engines because they drive hard, or live in the city, or go racing, or because they have a crazy expensive engine. Others consider 150,000 miles to be broken-in, and seek to double or triple that vehicle service life. We hear from owners of fleet vehicles where saving a few oil changes per year on an entire fleet of vehicles equates to thousands of dollars saved. And we hear from those concerned about reducing the environmental impact of used motor oil by reducing the number of oil changes for all our cars.

When you have a product that appeals equally to tightwads, racers, industrialists, and environmentalists, it's worth a closer look, no?

Jr's3800
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Here is the rest
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

jeffreyclay
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
If your engine is in good condition I'd say do it with no hesitation! I started mine on synthetic with 80,000 but I knew the engine history (family member, great maintenance)
From what I've been told, when you go on synthetic, the wear stops! Your bearings, cylinder crosshatch, etc stay as they are.
I love the difference. I don't drive my Cutty alot, about 10K a year so I do one oil change a year and use a Donaldson filter for superior filtering. I've picked up 2 mpg and if it's 10 degrees outside in January I know it will spin over and be lubed within a second or two.
I did some research on brands. Amzoil is the one I prefer. They buy their synthetic base from Mobil but their additive blend is different and better from my experience. I ran Mobil One for one change. No complaints but the engine ran slightly warmer on the gauge so I'm assuming it was higher in viscosity and therefor less efficient in transferring heat of the engine parts. You'll find Mobil One on sale for about $18 a gallon, Amzoil will run about $40. You won't go wrong with either one. Don't waste your money with the blends.

Pontiac6ksteawd
05-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I prefer royal purple myself. Run it in my TGP.

I use Valvoline Synthetic in my AWD. Since I dont do the oil changes on it, and my wife takes it to a Quick change place that knows I will hand them there ass if they screw up. They already paid me 1200 bucks for putting a dent in the TGP's door.

dcjredline
05-08-2008, 02:41 AM
1. I also call BS on the 2mpg increase. I have the records on my Cali to prove it DID NOT get 2 or even 1mpg more when I switched to SYN. Also my 05 Canyon 0mpg increase, my 89 Formula 0 and my 03 Dakota 0mpg! Total MYTH notice no one has any PROOF of this? Its always my friends car or no proof at all.

2. The Caliber has gotten 2 changes (1st and second) with blend and now the last 3 have been full syn CASTROL and any usually Fram filter, Formula gets Valvoline Blend and Delco filter, STE gets whatever dino oil is on $14 special with filter at AZ. I dont care STP, Fram doesnt matter.

Jr's3800
05-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Jeff how does the wear stop? we are talking metal against metal, there will be some wear no matter what you do...

And if this is the case why is it that I have a Motor that has 161k on it sitting on the ground... And for the last 100k all it got was Mobil 1 synthetic and it ended up with piston to bore issues which to the PCM sounded like knock... It was big time piston slap.. For a motor that was in good health when I started using Synthetic I have to say that it didn't stop the wear.. I may have gotten a little more out of the motor over its life as I drove it hard...

But for note.... Best I did on mobil 1 was 33 Mpg and even then I managed that at 65Mph...

Recently with my low mileage replacement motor the dealer( friend of the family ) used Valvoline Dino oil in the replacement unit... with a Dissassembled engine in the trunk with all of my luggage and tools and junk in the back seat I did 31 MPG with the AC on doing nothing under 80 Mph all day long... So I also never saw a difference in MPG's with the oil Dino Vs synthetic... It does have Mobil 1 in it now as I go a little longer on oil changes than I should sometimes..

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-08-2008, 04:03 AM
But for note.... Best I did on mobil 1 was 33 Mpg and even then I managed that at 65Mph...

Best I did on "SH" type of oil (1976 era oil) was 100 mpg, going over Trail Ridge Road in Colorado, on my CB-400F motorcycle. Normally, this bike would get around 45 mpg.

PS: Check your fuel mileage for say 3,000 miles...otherwise, we hear about these I got 40 mpg stories.

Jr's3800
05-08-2008, 04:18 AM
No Offense to you at all... But I have easily done 31-32 on trips where I have kept it under 80 Mph... I ran on Havoline before I switched to the Synthetic... On long trips I easily did 31-32.... after the swap to Mobil 1 it was the same story...

On a trip last year to CT from here in FL.... I pulled 31 Mpg at 80 Mph all day long( 20 Hours ).... That was a total of 1326 miles... Then I drove 650 Miles to my home town.... Then another 1000 miles home.... Car did 31 consistently... That was with Mobil 1....

Is this not believable that I can do 30+ easily?

I have and will never manage 40 MPG from this car... Thats is an outright far fetched idea..

To each his or her own tho... I choose to use Mobil 1.... Thats my choice..