PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm Back!

BxOutkast2009
11-10-2012, 07:13 AM
After a long seacrh, I was able finally to get back to work a few months ago!

Of course I had to borrow a car to work long enough to make the money so as to same my beloved Century. SO finally after a 5 month Hiatus, I got her back..!..:rock::rock::rock:

Last time though, the transmission threw a 8-ball at me: The cost was $1000 for replacement from JY: lucky for me, they were nice and let me pay over time, and no storage fee.

Of course, after sitting all that time (5 months!) something had to give...the pipe to the steering rack corroded somehow so all the power steering fluid drained and what was left was a nice chocolate brown. Thanks to guys at local garage, the fitted a new pipe to it and I'm on the road again.

With the new tranny in place the car is REALLY quiet. The shifts are smooth and there are NO chunks when it happen...its almost Sport tuned.

Next project is to figure out how to pull the fuel injectors for replacement, swapping out the muffler and checking the exhaust manifold for cracks. The outer tie rods will be changed when the new tires are fitted. Have to get ready for Inspection before the year ends...

85_Ciera_Rebuild
11-10-2012, 11:31 AM
RE: Next project is to figure out how to pull the fuel injectors for replacement

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

AVTechMan
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
RE: Next project is to figure out how to pull the fuel injectors for replacement

Exactly. If the injectors aren't causing any problems or drivability issues, I say leave them as is. If at most, run some Techron in the fuel system and that should clean them up nicely.

My wagon is still running on the original injectors at 204K miles with no problems. And welcome back! :)

BxOutkast2009
11-10-2012, 05:48 PM

True, but after everything else, I always figured even with the mileage its got (around 100K), if i can extend the life and it isn't TOO expensive...lol

I actually SeaFoamed the engine oil, fuel tank and the vacuum line before the tranny went, and it had sat for all those months. I may do it again, but I can always do it again, especially after the muffler swap.

Exactly. If the injectors aren't causing any problems or drivability issues, I say leave them as is. If at most, run some Techron in the fuel system and that should clean them up nicely.

My wagon is still running on the original injectors at 204K miles with no problems. And welcome back! :)

TY for thew WB!

Like i said to 85_Ciera, I'm not too sure IF all the injectors are working at peak. I drive about 3 hrs a day RT for work, use cheapest gas, but I do use FI additives (some lucas, some Seafoam, some $1 stuff) So i'm pretty regular on fuel maintence.

I'm trying to keep a log on MPG so far I need to re-tank every 2-3 days But that's because i estimate about +/- 800 miles a week for work.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
11-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I always figured even with the mileage its got (around 100K), if i can extend the life and it isn't TOO expensive.

Been drinking that SeaFoam? Uh, both my 1984 Volvo and 1988 Beretta have way over 1/4 million miles, and both get decent fuel mileage...with OEM injectors.

BxOutkast2009
11-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Been drinking that SeaFoam? Uh, both my 1984 Volvo and 1988 Beretta have way over 1/4 million miles, and both get decent fuel mileage...with OEM injectors.

True, but since the car wasn't well treated by the prior driver for awhile, I want to keep the car running as well as I can.

The car has low miles for it's age, but it's still alot. Maybe a new set will do wonders...or maybe nada. Can't hurt for the car to depend on one LESS 15 year old part...and again, would do it if the price is right, but not going all out.

The car is a daily driver. I probably would do at least half highway/city and talking about a good 20-30k a year (gas permitting). Anything that can be done in my favor, even if its only a 5%-10% performance/reliability boost is worth it.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
11-11-2012, 01:37 AM
The car has low miles for it's age, but it's still alot.

Let tank go towards empty, then add one bottle of Chevoron Techron, plus fill up tank with Chevoron (http://www.chevronwithtechron.com/techron/) (name brand fuel); go highway cruising for one solid hour.

Always use a Top Tier Detergent Gasoline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline)

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (http://www.toptiergas.com/) is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
11-11-2012, 01:40 AM
TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
USA
76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
Chevron
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)