PDA

View Full Version : New project...... '87 Celebrity Eurosport wagon

SSwagon
01-06-2016, 05:51 PM
I'm a wagon guy........ I've had a few but not recently. An old guy up the road had a white Eurosport wagon sitting in his drive for a few years and I've asked him a few times if he'd sell it. He always said he used it to take stuff to the dump and it always had a valid tag on it. I noticed it was to expire 12/15 and sure enough, this time my inquiry paid off. He said $200 and it's yours.....

He brought it south in '96 after retiring in NY and the auto parts store he was a salesman for, gave him the car as part of his retirement. He used it here until '08 and then only for hauling stuff to the dump, a mile round trip :)

He always started it for me every time when we stopped by, partially to prove it'll start right up and probably some dementia, not remembering he did prior?? Well, this time he said he hadn't kept it up this year [actually we stopped by in the Summer] and sure enough the battery was dead. I took out the battery, gave it a good charge and drove it a mile to my house. I went to drive it about 8 miles to my other property but only got a couple miles and it started acting up..... hardly any throttle response, stalled every time it started, etc... so I paid $50 for a tow.

It ran okay until it died, was a little loud due to exhaust leak, a little rusty [due to being at the beach] and it was getting moisture inside due to a couple rust spots at the roof rack. Otherwise, only 130k orig miles, real decent interior and only $200!

So, I cleaned it up, got some Mustang Bullitt wheels [114.3mm on a 115mm pattern works fine] and it's looking cool already....photos to come.

I figure the running issue could be a vacuum hose, ignition control module, maybe even the computer???

turbokinetic
01-06-2016, 10:40 PM
I'm a wagon guy........ I've had a few but not recently. An old guy up the road had a white Eurosport wagon sitting in his drive for a few years and I've asked him a few times if he'd sell it. He always said he used it to take stuff to the dump and it always had a valid tag on it. I noticed it was to expire 12/15 and sure enough, this time my inquiry paid off. He said $200 and it's yours.....

He brought it south in '96 after retiring in NY and the auto parts store he was a salesman for, gave him the car as part of his retirement. He used it here until '08 and then only for hauling stuff to the dump, a mile round trip :)

He always started it for me every time when we stopped by, partially to prove it'll start right up and probably some dementia, not remembering he did prior?? Well, this time he said he hadn't kept it up this year [actually we stopped by in the Summer] and sure enough the battery was dead. I took out the battery, gave it a good charge and drove it a mile to my house. I went to drive it about 8 miles to my other property but only got a couple miles and it started acting up..... hardly any throttle response, stalled every time it started, etc... so I paid $50 for a tow.

It ran okay until it died, was a little loud due to exhaust leak, a little rusty [due to being at the beach] and it was getting moisture inside due to a couple rust spots at the roof rack. Otherwise, only 130k orig miles, real decent interior and only $200!

So, I cleaned it up, got some Mustang Bullitt wheels [114.3mm on a 115mm pattern works fine] and it's looking cool already....photos to come.

I figure the running issue could be a vacuum hose, ignition control module, maybe even the computer???

Hi there, and welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you here. There are a lot of wagon folks here. One of them even has a McLaren Turbo Pontiac 6000 wagon that is pretty famous.

As for your stalling problem, there is only one way to find out what is wrong. That is to methodically, logically, troubleshoot the engine.

Normally, a low power problem (the not throttle response) is almost always a lean fuel condition. I am assuming you have a 2.8L V6 engine. There are several good troubleshooting threads on this engine.

The first thing that comes to mind is, the fuel pump and or fuel filter. The car has been sitting up and there could be rust and moisture buildup in the tank.

If I was there, my first test would be a fuel pressure test. If the fuel pressure test shows OK; next I would check the electrical resistance (in Ω) of the injector coils. Make sure none of them are losing resistance and becoming a short.

If both of these things show OK, then you may have to do more in-depth troubleshooting.

Can you clarify which engine you have and the year of the car is 87?

Sincerely,
David

1987 Black VR wagon Fam
01-12-2016, 01:05 AM
Welcome to the club!!!! I am a wagon guy myself and have a thread you might be interested in reading, look up Wednesday Addams. Will be glad to offer what I can but trust me, theres a lot of guys here that outsmart me....

Cant wait to see pics....

AuSSenseiter

SSwagon
01-14-2016, 07:08 PM
I've tried to add photos but no luck......

turbokinetic
01-19-2016, 10:30 PM
I've tried to add photos but no luck......

Unfortunately, this forum does not host photos. You can, however, use Photobucket to host them. There are a couple of tutorials on the forum about this.

Duke George V
01-19-2016, 10:50 PM
There's also imgur.com, which allows you to drag and drop to upload.

Century7667
01-19-2016, 11:11 PM
Photobucket supports drag and drop now too!

Ken T.

Tyson
01-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Congrats on the new project!

SSwagon
01-23-2016, 06:51 PM
I have photobucket but I havnt used it in so long it's changed and confusing.....LOL, yeah I'm old :) I tried when I last posted but I will try again soon.

turbokinetic
01-23-2016, 09:06 PM
I have photobucket but I havnt used it in so long it's changed and confusing.....LOL, yeah I'm old :) I tried when I last posted but I will try again soon.

It is frustrating how the change Photobucket often. My mom and dad also have problems with the computer when anything changes and they have a hard time adapting. I wish they would stop screwing with things in the name of "progress" and making it harder to use.....

I did a Photobucket tutorial a while back, in this thread. (http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?43553) They may have changed the site by now but maybe not.