PDA

View Full Version : Farm Lift: Removing Cradle Assembly

85_Ciera_Rebuild
04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Two pictures where taken using a farm loader to lift an a-body frame off.

Picture one (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/englander23/P1010002.jpg) show vehicle about 1/2 way up when I took a noon hour break...notice the vertical 8x8 block near passenger door.

After lunch, it was raised over shock towers (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/englander23/P1010003.jpg), and then pallet jack was used to slide out cradle assembly sitting on top of two pallets.

Since I was pulling the compete motor wiring assembly, and trashing the vehicle (no tittle) after taking parts, this process was quicker than pulling the engine and transmission separately.

If I had an overhead hoist, I could done it this way without taking off front grill/bumper. But, the rear bumper would bottom out...if rear tires were elevated, it could work OK.

It takes a number of hours to strip down a vehicle, btw...working with dash, wires, and cables can be a pill.

notsoslimshady76
04-05-2008, 12:46 AM
That
is
Awesome!!!!!!

LordDurock
04-05-2008, 01:25 AM
nice. if that the duke it look like it will fit so far.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
04-05-2008, 02:30 AM
duke it look like it will fit so far.

I found a picture of a Duke with oil filter in the pan....as Sexy indicated, exhaust pipe and cradle-shape were a problem when putting a newer Duke with an oil filter in the pan in older A-Bodies.

The exhaust pipe issue might be solved via buying a new one for latter motor, but the cradle issue I'm not sure if a different front motor mount is different, or the way the cradle is designed. Newer motor's oil filter is near harmonic balancer, which on older A-bodies, there is a projection coming off the cradle for the motor mount

If the newer motor was installed on an older cradle with transmission, then you might see if a problem exist, or if it could be resolved via modification.

If I knew of a later style motor sitting around, I could find out quickly if newer Dukes could fit in older cradle OK. I might ask my local salvage dealer if he has one DOA...

1995 Gold Ciera
04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
:rofl: Out the bottom or out the top, hey either way works!:rofl:

85_Ciera_Rebuild
04-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Out the bottom or out the top, hey either way works!

I haven't figured out what to do with motor/transmission, so I wanted to palletize the whole assembly so if needed, I could use the tractor fork-lift to move it into another building.

Motor needs to be rebuilt, and transmission may need a TCC solenoid (and will get one if it is used).

If I find another vehicle with shot transmission but decent motor, I may buy it and install transmission...or I may just lay out about $1,000.00 for rebuiliding 85 Ciera for roadworthy travel needs...which means new exhaust after catalytic converter, motor mounts, rebuilt engine, etc.

I've only got $100.00 into that 1985 Ciera now, so I'm not committed to it...I haven't checked prices, but I think the catalytic converter may be worth $50 to $100...anyone know?