PDA

View Full Version : Serious(?) Problem

Zaloryan
04-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Okay, so another (yes, another) serious problem has arisen. My transmission has begun to slip. Actually, it has been slipping, but that was only at higher speeds exceeding 50mph, so I (initially) thought it to be the tires to be way out of balance. As of the past two to three days, my 3 speed automatic transmission is causing the car to quit running when I stop slightly suddenly. I've had plans to replace the current fluid and the filter, and I just bought 3 quarts and a new filter last Saturday. But, after visiting several lube shops, it seems to be the consensus that if my vehicle's tranny fluid is changed, or flushed, the transmission will kick the bucket. (My fluid is a brown color) As of right now, when I left work to drive home, the car seemed to stutter at low speeds. When I pulled out of the parking lot, Bessie seemed to have trouble running. The engine runs great, but the car is really slow to respond to the accelerator. Unfortunately, most of all, no codes have been thrown, so I'm completely in the dark. What I will say is, if I'm going to have to pull the engine, I may as well pick up a 4 speed transmission with that overdrive gear and toss it in, rebuilt and all. As much as I hate to admit it, this issue came up a whole lot sooner than I expected. =__=;;;; Someone please educate me on the two transmissions my car was meant to come with. For those who don't know, I have a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera with a 3.3L V6. I'm sure a bunch of you remember helping me with my head gasket problem. My issue now is I haven't the slightest clue as to what I should do. I just know my transmission moves the car. >_> Thanks to anyone who can help me out! :|

Techfizzle
04-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Stumbling at when acclrating can be alot of this bad wires, crapy injector, plugged filter bad tps. As far as the trans slipping could be your torque converter.

Zaloryan
04-09-2008, 02:58 AM
I have brand new wires, my injectors register okay on the ohmeter, et cetera. Could it be my TCC? Where is the TCC located?

Jimbo
04-09-2008, 03:29 AM
A lot of your symptoms point to a sticky solenoid on your TCC. Your transmission is very well known to have the problem in that your TCC does not disengage after decelerating from higher speeds, causing your engine to stall and scare the crap out of you. Your torque converter would be located right under cylinder number 5 (closest to you on the right), it's a little switch that looks like a giant square plug.

CieraSL92
04-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Dunno about the transmission slipping, TCC would cause maybe a shudder as it engages/engine stalling coming to idle from the TCC being locked at previous speed.

About the running problems, check out the fuel pressure. Little schrader valve on rear of fuel rail, attach a FP guage to it. AutoZone may rent them, But I bought one at sears for like 45-50 I think.

Jr's3800
04-09-2008, 11:17 PM
How many miles do you have on the Trans? I have not seen too many of the 3T40's fail early..

It does sound like you have a bad TCC Solenoid when you describe the stall.. But it having a hard time moving seems like you may be having converter issues, hard to say at this point..

The 3300 was attached to the 4T60 Overdrive Trans... Not sure how hard it would be for you to use one... May require a couple more wires than you have among other parts

Zaloryan
04-10-2008, 03:26 AM
As of current, I have about 252500 miles on the car itself. The last owner didn't treat Bessie very well, so I assume everything that I haven't fixed is what came from the factory when she was new.

A giant square plug, you say? This is the solenoid you're talking about, right? Do I have to remove the flexplate to get to it? :confused:

Jr's3800
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
With those Miles, I'd be very tempted to say there is a chance that the Trans may be shot..

If you have the 3 speed Trans you should have a Square 4 pin connector to the trans...

To replace the TCC solenoid you have to pull the side pan cover of the trans to gain access to the TCC solenoid....

Not totally sure what to tell you... 250k is about the average life of a 3T40

CieraSL92
04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
x2, from what I've seen there very stout transmissions. Not many running around past 200 though.

I'd change the fluid, but be ready to change the transmission if its brown.

Jet
04-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Your symptoms don't sound like the TCC solenoid. I had to change mine out last year, and my car wasn't acting the way your car is. Unfortunately, like the others have said, sounds like the transmission is about to buy the farm.

Zaloryan
04-12-2008, 04:25 AM
*sighs* Great news...okay, I'll replace the solenoid and update everyone on the results.