PDA

View Full Version : Slopped out Flywheel Bolt Holes and more...

87Cutlass Ciera
04-24-2008, 03:47 AM
So the motor I'm going to put in my car is out of the Fiero, and ready to come home. I did say it was home but I over thought, it's coming home this week. So there are three bolts holes on the crank where the flywheel bolts up, and well three of them broke off and moved around and slopped the ends of the holes out a little. There is a lot of thread left, and it looks like I should be able to just file down the metal to make the flywheel go flush to the crank and it should be fine. The guy whom I'm getting the motor from is going to give me some Manual Transmission bolts as they are longer. I'm going to post the pictures and you can let me know what you think.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2350000-2350999/2350324_128_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2350000-2350999/2350324_133_full.jpg
Also the transmission I want to get for my car is in a Wagon with a 3.1 And I'm pretty sure that I remember it being said that the T440 from everything except for the 2.8 has a different set up. Meaning the 2.5 and 2.8 have the same bellhousing, and everything else is different. Am I correct? Or is the bellhousing the same on the 3.1?
Thanks guys! Have a look at the pics of the motor too.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2350000-2350999/2350324_129_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2350000-2350999/2350324_130_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2350000-2350999/2350324_131_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2350000-2350999/2350324_132_full.jpg

Techfizzle
04-24-2008, 03:57 AM
dont file it down its just silly. By some stuff called liquid steel. Its a hybrid epoxy that can be welded,filed etc. Fill the whole thing the bolt hole to the top then sand it down drill a small hole and run a tap through it then it will look like nothing happned!

85_Ciera_Rebuild
04-24-2008, 04:14 AM
...three of them broke off and moved around and slopped the ends of the holes out a little. There is a lot of thread left...

One could use a Helicoil Thread Repair Kit on those...but if bolts are firmly gripping, I doubt if this Helicoil is needed since automatics are not "firmly" pulling in surges on crankshaft.

....T440 from everything except for the 2.8 has a different set up. Meaning the 2.5 and 2.8 have the same bellhousing, and everything else is different.

All I will say is examine the bell-housings....your Iron Duke should be a V-60 bell-housing, but there were two basic styles, V-90 and V-60 styles. A good chance you might have to change out wheel bearings and/or axles too...and deal with adding a throttle valve (TV) cable.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
04-24-2008, 04:19 AM
...liquid steel... can be welded,filed etc

What a pill....Helicoil it...it ain't liquid, its steel.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
04-24-2008, 04:20 AM
three bolts holes

PS: Run a tap thru them....to clean them up.

87Cutlass Ciera
04-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I guess I missled you guys. The bolts are out of the holes, that's what's leftl now. The threads are pretty clean, I will run a tap through just to clean them out though. But what I mean by filing it down was. Well you can see where the metal kina bunched up and created a highspot? Well if I slap a flywheel to that it's not going to be firm against the crank... right? Well I'm glad that you guys thought that's too bad, I did't think it was bad either and dad laughed and said "is that all?" Guess he's seen worse! Awesome! I'm going to move my block out of the little trailer and tell Anthony to bring the motor home. I have some work to do to it, I need to change things around cause as you can see, everything is backwards!! Oh, and it needs a valve cover gasket.
And I'll go take a look at the bell housing of the Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser, I might just pick the car up, he only wants like 50 bucks for it, Anybody interested in a 3.1 motor?

86euro
04-25-2008, 12:45 AM
dont file it down its just silly. By some stuff called liquid steel. Its a hybrid epoxy that can be welded,filed etc. Fill the whole thing the bolt hole to the top then sand it down drill a small hole and run a tap through it then it will look like nothing happned!

Don't listen to that advise

It looks like you're on the right track, just file the surface flush and make sure the bolts will thread into what's left of the holes. And a 3.1 has the same bell housing pattern:cheers:

LordDurock
04-25-2008, 01:59 PM
get the crank blanced again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CieraSL92
04-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Don't listen to that advise

It looks like you're on the right track, just file the surface flush and make sure the bolts will thread into what's left of the holes. And a 3.1 has the same bell housing pattern:cheers:

X2 Don't halfass flywheel bolts.

Techfizzle
04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Acutaly heres a little something by JB Weld a steel expoxy me and my dad have used for years IT WILL NOT BREAK! Perfect for filling metal gouges. It will work for this problem

Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500° F. It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids. Working with J-B WELD is quick, easy, and convenient -- and saves you time, work, and money!

Filling it down will make a gap and your crankshaft wont be as strong leading to possible failure. :p :p :p

87Cutlass Ciera
04-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Well it's not really gouged. There is a lot of thread, I don't think it even went down into the thread. We used JB weld on the Harmonic Balancer in my Passat (most of them need it at some point in time)
And the guy whom I got the engine from is going to give me Manual Transmission bolts which are longer than Automatic, so that means that I'll get more in the thread. He's had this happen before and he's ran motors until they died. So I'm going with him and what everybody else said. The transmission has 233000kms on it. That's not too bad. The motor has around 185000kms

dcjredline
04-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Acutaly heres a little something by JB Weld a steel expoxy me and my dad have used for years IT WILL NOT BREAK! Perfect for filling metal gouges. It will work for this problem

Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500° F. It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids. Working with J-B WELD is quick, easy, and convenient -- and saves you time, work, and money!

Filling it down will make a gap and your crankshaft wont be as strong leading to possible failure. :p :p :p

YOU DONT GET IT!!! Where the bolts rounded out the holes that your talking about just filling there are SHALL WE SAY "HANG NAILS" of steel, when he tries to mount the trans FLUSH with the engine it will NOT BE because of the "hang nails". You should pay more attention when your giving advice!!!

CieraSL92
04-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech, why on earth would you use JB weld to repair that? If it comes apart because you chose to use JB weld then the transmission has to come back out.

Those gaps don't/won't affect crank strength either.

Techfizzle
04-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech, why on earth would you use JB weld to repair that? If it comes apart because you chose to use JB weld then the transmission has to come back out

Well sinner, you not a beliver yet? When you have some spare time. Take two peices of angle iron and jb weld them. Wait 3 days. You can jump up and down on it you could even pull a truck with it.

CieraSL92
04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm going to do something similar to that experiment very soon.

Techfizzle
04-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm going to do something similar to that experiment very soon

Did I inspire you to do that :lol: Keep me updated. Not liable for any accidents, injuries, or other damage or loss :lol:

CieraSL92
04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Yes you did inspire me. I'll let you know. I'm supposed to take my jeep to my friends house in NH to do some logging next week.

My intial thought was I wonder what will happen if I install my hitch with JB weld.

Anyway, I'll do something besides that and let you know how it goes.

Techfizzle
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
make sure its clean.

Tuddi
04-25-2008, 11:35 PM
My intial thought was I wonder what will happen if I install my hitch with JB weld.

Yikes! I wouldn't trust anything but a good welding in the hitch ball area. The "bolt on" hitch frames have been known to cut the bolts and come off the cars if there's been some heavy duty offroading pulls.

Let me first state that I have never tried this JB Weld thingy, but from what I have read about it, it sounds good, but not good enough to keep a hitch ball in place even if only to pull a log behind the car.

I really look forward to read about your testing.

87Cutlass Ciera
04-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Well I will let Everybody know (especially Tech) There is no need for JB weld. Nothing is broken! Like DCJ said, they're like hangnails, all I gotta do is cut them off (or with metal hangnails, file them down) so that the flywheel sits flush with the crank! That is all! I'm hoping to pick up the other Cutlass Ciera with the tranny and get that out so I can get it in mine sometime in the few weeks. I'll keep you updated on one of my old threads! Probably the Cutlass Kicked the can one.

Pontiac6ksteawd
04-26-2008, 01:59 AM
The only thing I would suggest additionally to filing the "hang nails" down, is to use lock tight, or thread locker, when you put those bolts in. Something caused those bolts to come out, and it could happen again. Lock them in, and hope it doesnt.

Did you get to hear the motor befor yo pulled it?

Techfizzle
04-26-2008, 02:09 AM
high rpms will cause them to loosen up.

87Cutlass Ciera
04-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Yeah I will use Lock tight. Ummm there is a video of it, but I have yet to see it cause the buddy hasn't sent it to me yet. Anthony drove the car around, said it had lots of power didn't burn any oil, and it was a good motor. Yeah I'm taking his word, but we know him well, and he's giving me the motor until I actually can drive the car. If it doesn't work, I don't owe him anything and I get rid of it! So thats the story. :)

Jr's3800
04-26-2008, 07:06 PM
high rpms will cause them to loosen up.

WTF Gives you that idea? At 161,000 Miles I swapped motors... I took the Flywheel bolts out with an impact.... This from a Motor that Spun to its 6000 Rpm shift all of the time...

About the only time I have seen these back out is when someone was there before and didn't tighten them properly..

Also with the forces applied to the flywheel face of the crank I would never use JB Weld

I do agree with the other statements.... Chase those threads to make sure they are clean and ok.. If they are ok, at the very least use the Blue( Medium ) Thread locker