PDA

View Full Version : 78 Omega Headers

OmegaChase
01-29-2017, 04:10 PM
I recently bought a '78 Olds Omega, came with a 305, but it has to go. I have only ever had issues with the 305's, so I decided I would go crate. The money is available, and after a lot of looking I decided the best bang for my buck is a 350 HO. Crate from GM Performance. My only concern is I want to add Headers, and i'm not sure what will fit, if anything. Any help is appreciated, this car has been my budget dream car for years, so I just want to see it have the heart it deserves.

86euro
01-29-2017, 08:41 PM
Headers for that car with a SBC in it are super common. Just pick what you want from Summit or Jeg's by looking up a Nova application. There's multiple brands, flange types, tubing sizes, coatings, etc.

Also, this site is geared more towards the FWD cars, but welcome anyway and congrats on your purchase :)

Drop Top Olds
01-29-2017, 10:59 PM
My suggestion is to order headers like it is a Nova. The Omega is the Oldsmobile cousin to the Nova. A 350 Rocket would be cool and brand correct, but more $.

OmegaChase
01-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Thanks, I was thinking that any post 75 Nova/Skylark headers would work, but wasn't 100%. As for the rocket, I have full intentions on painting the block , as well as replacing the Valve Covers with a set that have the Oldsmobile Cursive emblem, and I hope to find a matching air cleaner. All things that will be done in the future, but I plan on making it at least look like it belongs. Thanks for your help,I'll see if I can find a forum dedicated the RWD X-body's.

Drop Top Olds
01-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Thanks, I was thinking that any post 75 Nova/Skylark headers would work, but wasn't 100%. As for the rocket, I have full intentions on painting the block , as well as replacing the Valve Covers with a set that have the Oldsmobile Cursive emblem, and I hope to find a matching air cleaner. All things that will be done in the future, but I plan on making it at least look like it belongs. Thanks for your help,I'll see if I can find a forum dedicated the RWD X-body's.

Be aware that Oldsmobile valve covers wont fit on a Chevy based 350. Olds valve covers have ten bolts and a different pattern. I would try this forum, they are helpful folks, I am a member there. ClassicOldsmobile.com
I don't think they will give you too much grief about a chevy motor in an Olds. Some may beef, but technically GM did put Chevy 350 engines in Buicks, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles.

86euro
01-31-2017, 12:12 AM
There's also stevesnovasite.com

They cover all years of the rwd Nova and there are some nice folks there. Even though you don't have a Nova as far as some trim and body panels go, mechanically they are the same (especially with your Chevy motor) and you may find a lot of help there.