PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy in the Rain

ochy38
05-02-2008, 12:58 PM
So my celeb hasnt really been much for rainy weather the past year or so. I have changed the spark plugs and the wires within the last year, and it still takes a bit longer to start in the rain. Also, when it finally starts it usually "doesnt catch" is the best way i can describe it for a sec( it sputters and wants to turn off) but then its fine. There has always been a slight mis in the engine too. I know there is a spark knock problem, and i havent had the chance to check out the knock sensor yet, mainly cause i have no idea where it is ( i tried looking where a member told me but i couldnt find it, maybe im lookin for the wrong thing or something.)

Another thing, i just installed an intake and i had whatever that little sensor near the air filter is unplugged for a few days until i could install it in the new intake. It would throw the service engine light, however it seemed that the car drove much smoother with it out. Now, when i first start the car on a good day the idle goes kinda high and when i hit the accelerator it doesnt really accelerate smoothly (imagine if you put the gas and one position, then quickly to another, as opposed to smoothly increasing), and this was basically eliminated when that sensor was removed..

Any ideas? (89 2.8L)

Buick_powa
05-02-2008, 04:23 PM
coils or ignition module that all i can see

jinxtigr
05-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Hang on, do you mean the mass air flow sensor? Right ON the air intake/throttle body? If I don't have this totally confused, wouldn't unplugging this make the car run a lot richer because it can't really adjust the mixture with finesse and plays it safe?

I'm trying to figure the result you're seeing is because the car is making less power but doing it more evenly- or possibly the computer is confused and trying to overcontrol the engine, and defeating it actually puts things in a more appropriate place.

ochy38
05-02-2008, 06:12 PM
no, my engine doesnt have a MAF, it has the MAP (not really sure what it is just know it doesnt have the MAF). there is a little sensor in the airbox, about a centimeter in diameter. I have no idea what it is or what it does, but i made sure i put it back in the intake with the air flowing the same way it was as the stock intake.

ochy38
05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
coils or ignition module that all i can see

I was thinkin the same thing, just want a few more opinions or ideas! I dont really know much about ignition systems.

86euro
05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
That's the Intake Air Temp sensor. My guess would also be the module and/or coil packs.

CieraSL92
05-03-2008, 07:05 AM
My old wires started to arc when it was wet out when they were roughly a year old. Did you check that out?

Edit: Well cylinder 6 anyway.

turbokinetic
05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
... changed spark plugs and wires ... still takes a bit longer to start in the rain....... "doesnt catch" ..... slight mis .... spark knock .... (feels like I) put the gas and one position, then quickly to another...
Any ideas? (89 2.8L)

Sounds like a bad ignition coil or ignition wires. One or more cylinders are cutting off and on due to loosing spark. Since you have already changed the wires, you might want to test the coils.

The intake air temp sensor (the little sesor in the airbox) has a small effect on ignition timing and fuel mixture. If the ECM detects that it's missing, the fuel will be enriched and the timing advance reduced. Both of these things will make the engine run smoother while reducing gas mileage and horsepower. It could mask the symptoms from a weak ignition system.

All 3 ignition coils should measure the same resistance between the 2 sparkplug wire terminals. None should read "OL" or "Meg Ohm" readings. IIRC they are about 6K ohms. The most important is that none of them are "open" or "way different than the others."

Hope this helps. Your sumptoms REALLY sound like ignition problems.

David

ochy38
05-03-2008, 11:17 PM
hey thanks guys, ill def take a look at this in a couple weeks when i finally graduate from college. got zero time for anything these days. If i was to get some new coils, best bet be get ac-delco or the cheaper brands for half the price?

ochy38
05-06-2008, 03:24 PM
My old wires started to arc when it was wet out when they were roughly a year old. Did you check that out?

Edit: Well cylinder 6 anyway.

the wires just went on like a month ago, so i havent checked that. Ill keep it in mind though

ochy38
05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
ok well i tested my coils and the results were from left to right: 6.34, 6.21, 6.20. Any thoughts? is the 6.34 bad? i dont know what far off means with these things

Buick_powa
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
ok well i tested my coils and the results were from left to right: 6.34, 6.21, 6.20. Any thoughts? is the 6.34 bad? i dont know what far off means with these things

is theses are resistances or what?

ochy38
05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
yea they are the resistances

Buick_powa
05-08-2008, 01:13 AM
these seems to be normal... but try doing the same test but in wet condition... like sparying some water on the coils to create a humidity climate. then recheck resistances

Buick_powa
05-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Ho an other thing... have you tinked about cleaning the coil module ground plate? these groud sometime oxyde and you loose sparks. remove the coils,then the control module, then remove the ground plate, clean all rust, apply dielectric grease, then remout everything in place and wait for the next rainy day!

ochy38
05-08-2008, 03:01 AM
hmm, thats a good idea. ill def look at it next week. I do, however, think i just lost the fuel pump in my celeb... so i got that to deal with first.