PDA

View Full Version : Carb woes?

mharri6
05-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Ever since we've acquired our '84 Celeb, it has had what I'm assuming is a carb malfunction. The thing starts great, never a problem. Once you get out on the road maybe in second or third (auto) and press down to speed up up, occasionally it just goes flat, no acceleration at all. It acts like it's lacking fuel or air. There is no stumble as with a miss, it just loses juice. I have to back out of the throttle a bit or feather it, or even push farther and drop a gear to get it going. Doesn't seem to do it all the time, and it's really not a problem unless on an entrance ramp or someone rolls up on you real fast (bad driveway!) Any ideas where to look first? Had all tune-up items recently, no change. Oh yeah, it's the 2.8, carb variety.

Tuddi
05-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Carb-wash sounds like a good idea to me... unless you have already had the carb apart and cleaned properly.

Does your car have electrical mixture solenoid, or only a mechanical one? If it's electrical, you should check the wiring and check if the solenoid is in working order and still have the carb cleaned out.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-04-2008, 02:44 AM
'84 Celeb...press down to speed up up, occasionally it just goes flat...

Accelerator pump, if it has one...is most likely the problem...its not up to the task.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-04-2008, 02:45 AM
2.8, carb

Picture, btw.

86euro
05-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Accelerator pump, if it has one...is most likely the problem...its not up to the task.

My understanding was a constant flat spot, not just during initial acceleration. I'm no carb expert, but in my experience, a bad accelerator pump will make the car a pain to drive at low speeds, especially just off idle from a stop.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-04-2008, 07:05 PM
My understanding...

Most posters do not articulate clearly....so, I have to make an experienced guess...

RE: "...press down to speed up up, occasionally it just goes flat, no acceleration at all."

Since I'm not driving this vehicle, I would not assume this statement above is true as stated. Carbs normally don't have "on/off" type of problems....if it has a problem, it is consistent...from my experiences.

Hence, this is what I assumed, "...it just goes flat, no acceleration at all," as being true.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
My understanding.

PS: "'84 Celeb"

Normally, people don't put extra money into a vehicle for preventative maintenance; chances are, its the original carb untouched, or was changed some 12 years ago....and if so, the accelerator pump is most likely about shot.

86euro
05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
PS: "'84 Celeb"

Normally, people don't put extra money into a vehicle for preventative maintenance; chances are, its the original carb untouched, or was changed some 12 years ago....and if so, the accelerator pump is most likely about shot.

Good point:)

mharri6
05-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Most posters do not articulate clearly..:eek3:..so, I have to make an experienced guess...

RE: "...press down to speed up up, occasionally it just goes flat, no acceleration at all."

Since I'm not driving this vehicle, I would not assume this statement above is true as stated. Carbs normally don't have "on/off" type of problems....if it has a problem, it is consistent...from my experiences.

Hence, this is what I assumed, "...it just goes flat, no acceleration at all," as being true.

Yeah, what he said! I'll have to get the carb yanked and gone through, probably check the aforementioned solenoid first. Yup, the car probably never had a decent tune-up until I got it. Gradually chipping away at years of no maintenance. Thanks for the input.

jinxtigr
05-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I wonder whether this could be a transmission issue? I've had similar concerns. Notably, I've had that happen while turning to the left, and I've learned that some people consider my 440T4/4T60 transmission's dipstick is labeled in error and actually requires one or two QUARTS more fluid to operate. Post on that shortly...

LordDurock
05-05-2008, 01:00 AM
sound like you my have stick lingus for the allrator pump.