PDA

View Full Version : Modify search function to allow 3 character strings/words?

LG7rumble
04-27-2017, 04:11 PM
I'm trying to find what other people have said about issues and engine operation regarding the PCV valve on the 3300 engine, but "valve" is a very common word that returns lots of irrelevant results, and I think "PCV" is too short for the search function.

I've come across comments and posts about it in passing, but when searching for the string "PCV" the search returns an error stating "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." :(

Is there any way for the staff to adjust the parameters of the search function in the vBulletin control panel or something like that? It could be helpful for people searching for other 3-character abbreviations or acronyms, or for example to be able to specify "oil" pump rather than wading through other posts that might focus on the water/fuel/wash pump...

Century7667
04-27-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm trying to find what other people have said about issues and engine operation regarding the PCV valve on the 3300 engine, but "valve" is a very common word that returns lots of irrelevant results, and I think "PCV" is too short for the search function.

I've come across comments and posts about it in passing, but when searching for the string "PCV" the search returns an error stating "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." :(

Is there any way for the staff to adjust the parameters of the search function in the vBulletin control panel or something like that? It could be helpful for people searching for other 3-character abbreviations or acronyms, or for example to be able to specify "oil" pump rather than wading through other posts that might focus on the water/fuel/wash pump...

I am not an administrator, but my day job gives me some knowledge. I am pretty sure the 3 character restriction is to prevent too many hits on the search. You just have to be creative. I've ran into the issue myself sometimes.

Ken T.

LG7rumble
04-27-2017, 05:38 PM
Oh I'm sure it's to mitigate unnecessary load on the site, I've encountered many forums over the years with similar restrictions...

But despite honing my internet search skills for nearly two decades (RIP alta vista), I haven't really been able to really sieve out productive results. I figured maybe some explicit boolean commands might help the search function recognize that I'm intentionally looking for something, but to no avail.

I suppose I could just use Google's site: command, which I now realize is probably my best option and requires the least intervention by any administrators on the site lol :P whoops, oh well

Century7667
04-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Oh I'm sure it's to mitigate unnecessary load on the site, I've encountered many forums over the years with similar restrictions...

But despite honing my internet search skills for nearly two decades (RIP alta vista), I haven't really been able to really sieve out productive results. I figured maybe some explicit boolean commands might help the search function recognize that I'm intentionally looking for something, but to no avail.

I suppose I could just use Google's site: command, which I now realize is probably my best option and requires the least intervention by any administrators on the site lol :P whoops, oh well

You're dating yourself. I remember altavista.digital.com That was my search engine of choice up until about 16 or 17 years ago!

Ken T.

CorvairGeek
04-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Let's Ask Jeeves...

Cutlass
04-30-2017, 11:51 PM
Yes, frankly Google does a better job searching the site than our own forum software.

Duke George V
05-01-2017, 05:27 AM
site:a-body.net "pcv valve" seems like the search term you are looking for.