PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

ochy38
05-10-2008, 10:42 PM
So the other night, my car started acting up. this is exactly what happened:

I started my car and drove to my girlfriends house. We went to leave about 10 minutes after i got there and i drove across the street to get some gas. I filled the tank up, and drove to another house to pick somethin up for her. Not a single problem yet. So i back up the driveway, and its slanted such that when i backed up the driveway the front was lower than the back of the car. so about 10 minutes later we come out, i go to turn the car on and it started acting like it had no gas in it. Like it was running on fumes, sputtering like crazy then shutting off. (mind you the tank was filled to the top about 2 miles ago)i couldnt get it to turn back on for the life of me(it started sounded like it was flooded after a while of tryin to turn it on) so we leave the car there overnight, and i am fearinhg that the fuel pump had just died. The next morining my dad gets up tehre and starts right up with no problem......

So we decide it was some freak thing. The next couple of days i start noticinmg that it takes longer to start up. One night i go to start it, crank it for a good 5 sec and nothing happens, i crank it a second time and it starts right up. this mornng it took a few seconds to start up, a little bit longer than it should have but nothing horrible. I go to leave work 15 minutes ago and it takes about 5-6 sec to start up. Im wondering if its the fuel filter? im guessing its not the pump because i would assume it would go all at once. But if its the fuel filter wouldnt i notice driveablity problems too? once the car is on there is no noticable difference.

As i sit here and think about it, i had pulled all of the wires off the ignition coils to check the coils resistance earlier that first day, however i am 95% certain they are all back on tight. I will check em again though.

Any thoughts?

mickstan_VR
05-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Fuel pump. Sometimes they die slowly. To me, what you describe, is a fuel pump on the way out.

86euro
05-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Fuel pump. Sometimes they die slowly. To me, what you describe, is a fuel pump on the way out.

X2. In my experience, they only suddenly die about 50% of the time.

dcjredline
05-11-2008, 02:07 AM
NEVER MIND 89 2.8= no MAF!

85_Ciera_Rebuild
05-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Any thoughts?

1. Change Fuel Filter

2. Turn Key On...wait two seconds....crank motor

3. Check rail pressure....

ochy38
05-11-2008, 09:40 PM
thanks for the posts. Unfortunately left me stranded last night so its being towed to my mechanics after not being able to start it today. hopefully its just a filter.. or hopefully the pump comes out of the tank with no problems if its that.

CieraSL92
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
It's not the filter. They can and sometimes will cause low fuel pressure, but not zero.

But yeah based on the symptoms it sounds very similar to what my old Regal 3800 did, norm pressure until the pump was running for a bit, then it'd kind of get weak. We changed it before it died totally though-it would have been a DIY job if you had the space to do it.

ochy38
05-11-2008, 11:50 PM
i would have def attempted it if i had the space or time, neither of which i have. Ugh so more stuff to deal with. its been a tough couple weeks (rolls eyes)