PDA

View Full Version : Plastic cleaner

jinxtigr
05-11-2008, 01:05 AM
In case anyone doesn't know about this stuff-

I had a really horrible dirty plastic problem, because I was trying to shine up textured plastic with a plastic polish. It uses white powder and the powder dries into all the crevices of the texture and made all the plastic that I did, three shades lighter, duller, and looking filmed with toothpaste. (ack!)

I got some wipes today- Armor-All cleaner wipes and 'protectant' wipes.

The cleaner ones seem very much like they've cleaned off all the polish. Maybe not absolutely every bit- by the time I was done it was dark and hard to tell. But it went to, at most, half a shade lighter than the 'un-polished' plastic, and possibly to the exact original condition.

The stuff also did great things for pretty much everything else- plastic, vinyl on the dash, what have you.

Then, the 'protectant' put a gloss on everything, which appears to be there to stay.

TECHFIZZLE, GET THIS STUFF. I know you are unhappy about dull and worn plastic etc. Mine is a lot nearer to mint, but still over 10 years old, and these wipes have done great things. I can't wait to see how it looks tomorrow in daylight, what with the cleanness, the darker, more color-rich look and the gloss it looked like it was pretty near to a showroom/car-show look. It's maybe $10 for both cans of wipes.

I'm stunned that I was able to fix my horrible mistake with the plastic polish. All you need is a lot of elbow grease, and keep churning through the wipes until the thing is clean, whatever it is, then put the protectant on and you're good.

If it worked out the way I think it did, I can take pictures to show off the result... :)

Techfizzle
05-11-2008, 02:06 AM
i have used stuck called black magic which is a high end plastic and vinyl cleaner. I never used that stuff much becuase it shows fingerprints, leaves a sticky film, and will get dusty in two days. Stick to armorall. My parts came today. A little on the hairy side but they will do, cant look a gifthorse in the mouth.

jinxtigr
05-11-2008, 09:00 AM
*G* yes you can, but you can't have more than one gift horse that way. You can always send them back and I'll happily use anything but the center seat arm rest, which goes to a seat I won't use again.