PDA

View Full Version : K & N Air filter. Anyone have one installed?

1995 Gold Ciera
05-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Okay, so we've all been on the subject of air intakes as of late it seems. I have a question for anyone willing to participate.

Who here has a K&N or any performance air filter installed in their A-Body and do you notice any difference at all in performance or gas mileage?

At this point I am probably just going to purchase one to drop in, or maybe at the most run a bit of ducting to get some colder air in the car.

Also, as many of you know I'm a Mustang guy and when I had my 5.0 one of the first little mods was to knock out the air silencer that connected to the air filter box. Do we have anything like that or any other little tidbits of things we can do to remove the stock restrictiveness?

Thanks to all for the input!

Andy

turbokinetic
05-16-2008, 02:49 AM
I've got a K&N in each of mine and family's cars except the Nova, and they are well worth the money.

My mom's 89 leSabre with the 3800 engine, has one. Engine intake sound is louder and more aggressive sounding and engine revs more freely.

My turbo Century has one. It is hard to service the air filter on this car so the long service interval on the K&N is a big plus.

My dad's Old Aurora has one, it made the engine run stronger in the high RPM ranges, plus his filter is hard to service and having the extended interval was a help.

And the most important one - my Service Truck. It is a 2002 Ford F450, 7.3L turbodiesel. The paper filters lasted 10 to 15000 miles before the "filter restricted" light came on. I installed a K&N and the filter can go 6 months, in hard commercial use, on and off road, before needing to be serviced. It costed about the same as ONE paper filter ($40) and has been in place over 225,000 miles with nothing but washing.

jinxtigr
05-16-2008, 02:56 AM
I had one before I did all the crazy air intake stuff. I didn't actually notice a big change between the stock filter and the K&N, but I noticed a little one. About as much as going from the K&N to an AEM cone filter- AND knocking out that air silencer at the same time.

When we installed the AEM, I saw a honeycombed metal thing in the air intake. That's another sort of air silencer. Behind it is the MAF sensor body and the little extra hole for the MAF sensor.

Trust me, we have LOTS of things we can do to unrestrict the airboxes, and it's pretty straightforward stuff. I'm an AEM dryflow fan now- same airflow as K&N or possibly a hair better, but the filter filters better. It's not cheap, but I'm real happy with my current air intake. Only way I could make it more extreme is with a shaker scoop or forced induction :)

Oh- specifically, the performance with the K&N was a hair more lively, no benefit to fuel mileage that I saw. Driving slower is 1000 times the mileage-benefit of any engine mod, seemingly.

dcjredline
05-16-2008, 03:07 AM
My STE and my Formula have one. Formy has a cone on the end of the stock tube (not done by me) and I have a replacement in the STE didnt notice a huge difference with the replacement in the STE.

Tonglebeak
05-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Certainly sounds meaner, gives a bit more power, not terribly noticeable. Anyone who tries to argue with you, saying that replacing the restrictive stock filter, with a K&N, doesn't give you any kind of power increase, is a moron. You're alleviating the restrictive tubing, so there is going to be some sort of power increase, just don't expect a lot. The TB is pretty restrictive, as well as the heads. 3400+ top end swap will wake it up a bit...

Electra_T_Type
05-16-2008, 03:23 AM
I pulled the one out of my Park Avenue and dropped it in my '90.
The original owner put on in my '87.

1995 Gold Ciera
05-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Trust me, we have LOTS of things we can do to unrestrict the airboxes, and it's pretty straightforward stuff.

Could you elaborate a bit on that for me and any processes you have used?

jinxtigr
05-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Take anything off the air intake that's between air and the throttle butterfly valve. Put on a filter of some sort- an AEM cone filter will (with a bit of pushing) press fit directly onto the throttle body (or where the old factory airbox fit on). Add a tube to locate the filter somewhere you like better, do things to get more cold air into the vicinity.

Like I said it's pretty straightforward. Look up my 'psycho air intake' thread which has some of the things I've tried, and pictures. I don't have pictures of my most recent stuff yet, but it's more of the same.

Zaloryan
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Would anyone recommend pulling the honeycomb piece out of the intake pipe? I'm hesistant as (obviously) I have no wish to suck in something that my air filter misses, but at the same time if something bypasses my cone air filter, the honeycomb piece is unlikely to catch it.

jinxtigr
05-18-2008, 09:37 PM
I took mine out.

I really suspect that it's not so much to protect the engine- you could pour SAND through one of those quite easily if you liked- but just another method to remove noise from the intake. It's definitely a flow resistance and a laminar flow device, which also means it will resist sound waves coming through unless they're parallel to the holes, and the flow resistance will tend to restrict even those sound waves. I say it's a sound control measure.

That said, it's also true that removing it WILL make the engine noisier. However, if you're into engine voice and like some rasp in there, it's actually an improvement to remove the honeycomb piece. Just make sure your air filter works and don't leave any sand or whatever in your air intake when you put it together... I'm really going to have to post sound clips at some point, not today though.

With an air intake and no honeycomb piece, perhaps a cone filter or just cut away the airbox around the K&N drop-in filter, unless your exhaust is way loud you'll get vaguely comparable noise out of the front and back of the engine. But the air intake is a badass raspy snarly noise with zero rumble to it. It won't make the car sound big at all, but it does wonders to make the car sound scary :D

Always assuming the car is otherwise HEALTHY. If anything is wrong it'll just sound more screwed-up that way. Which is good really. I totally want to hear my engine being unhappy, if it is. I want to hear it right away.

Tonglebeak
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuB62SZgfcs

That'll give you an idea as to what i'll sound like. Back then, I had a hole in my exhaust so that amplified the noise, but the basic sound is the same.

turbokinetic
05-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Here is my "open" air filter design....

Entire bottom cut out of airbox, hole cut in floor of fenderwell (ahead of tire so road spray does not get into it). You can see the ground below the car looking through the mesh protective screen in the bottom of the airbox! No hot air pulls in, all comes from under car.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/Airbox_bottom2.jpg

Here is the assembled airbox. Has 3" intake pipework between the airbox and turbo compressor inlet. You can hear it for sure! I have a K&N element in there, by the way but it is not installed in this picture.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/Airbox_lid_on2.jpg

Sound file forthcoming if I have time.
David

1995 Gold Ciera
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Here is my "open" air filter design....

Entire bottom cut out of airbox, hole cut in floor of fenderwell (ahead of tire so road spray does not get into it). You can see the ground below the car looking through the mesh protective screen in the bottom of the airbox! No hot air pulls in, all comes from under car.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/Airbox_bottom2.jpg

Here is the assembled airbox. Has 3" intake pipework between the airbox and turbo compressor inlet. You can hear it for sure! I have a K&N element in there, by the way but it is not installed in this picture.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/Airbox_lid_on2.jpg

Sound file forthcoming if I have time.
David

David,
What kind of turbo setup do you have? And if I may be so bold, could you show some pics or possibly describe in lay terms what was involved. I'm just curious as usual and would love to daydream about one on my 3100.

turbokinetic
05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
The turbo is a Turbonetics T3/4 ceramic bearing water cooled / oil lubricated unit. The write-up on the car can be found here.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/turbo2.htm

Click the "home" link at bottom of page to see my main page from there you can see more of this car.

David

1995 Gold Ciera
05-19-2008, 12:08 AM
The turbo is a Turbonetics T3/4 ceramic bearing water cooled / oil lubricated unit. The write-up on the car can be found here.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~davida1/turbo2.htm

Click the "home" link at bottom of page to see my main page from there you can see more of this car.

David

Thank you!!

turbokinetic
05-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Ok here is a sound video. It is not too good I'm afraid. You can hear the intake and turbo noise. Otherwise a dumb video with lots of wind noise. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cptpGqR8pc

Later,
David

1995 Gold Ciera
05-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Actually, I could hear the turbo loud and clear when you put your foot into it. That was neat!

turbokinetic
05-19-2008, 06:20 PM
It may be my notebook PC's sorry speakers. This is a Dell Latitude PC, it was selected for reliability and having the old-school DB9 COM port. It's primarily for all my Caterpillar and AGCO diagnostic tools at work. As long as it has some sort of mechanism to "beep" every now and then it is sufficient for my work. The amplifier for the speakers on my desktop PC somehow quit a while back and I haven't bothered to fix it...

Anyway glad you could hear it. Once I get my other turbo car running, I will do same. I just dropped the pieces of the engine at the machine shop this morning.

David

1995 Gold Ciera
05-19-2008, 10:54 PM
It may be my notebook PC's sorry speakers. This is a Dell Latitude PC, it was selected for reliability and having the old-school DB9 COM port. It's primarily for all my Caterpillar and AGCO diagnostic tools at work. As long as it has some sort of mechanism to "beep" every now and then it is sufficient for my work. The amplifier for the speakers on my desktop PC somehow quit a while back and I haven't bothered to fix it...

Anyway glad you could hear it. Once I get my other turbo car running, I will do same. I just dropped the pieces of the engine at the machine shop this morning.

David

Cool. Will this be a more powerful turbo? What with your Century running sub 8 second
0-60 times, it's gotta be making some decent power.

On another note, my K & N came today. Only took two days (not including sunday) and that was ground from Tenn.

jinxtigr
05-20-2008, 03:46 AM
I've got a video coming as well- and have learned that Fluffy is managing between 9 and 10 second 0-60 times (roughly). Whee!