PDA

View Full Version : cluster

Techfizzle
05-17-2008, 12:18 PM
A few months down the road i wana put a sport cluster in my car.
1.My car has the shift indicator in the dash, while most sport clusters have them in the conosle, anyway to swap it?
2. I have heard somesay, you will have to add a 3 wire collant sensor, do you? and how hard is it?
3. I have heard some say you have to change the pinouts in the connctors, do you?

and this is a mechanical speedo not a electrical

1995 Gold Ciera
05-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Why do you need a shift indicator? Your running an automatic and not racing it.

Techfizzle
05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
yeah but idk

86euro
05-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Why do you need a shift indicator? Your running an automatic and not racing it.

I think he meant the gear selector, not an upshift light (which may be in the cluster, but not used).

Anyway, the swap involves rewiring the main connectors and adding some wires and changing/adding a temp sensor. Tongle knows the deatails. It's not something you want to try if you NEED the car for use every day.

Tonglebeak
05-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Yeah, it's just too scary to try it if you need the car, since you heavily rely on the clusters. An idea I came up with a while ago was to make a harness that plugs in directly to the idiot harness (you would STILL be required to run a line for the tach). I think I also found a descrepancy in the service manual, something about the VSS being different for something along those lines, iI'm not sure. I'd have to dig it out again.

Now that I remembered the harness idea, does anyone know how to make a harness that could plug into the idiot ones?