PDA

View Full Version : Rear discs

F14CRAZY
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I did a search but I couldn't find a good thread on the subject.

What all is needed to convert to rear disc brakes? I understand that I need the disc (obviously), caliper, and bracket from a 6000. Is there anything else? There was a 6000 at the junkyard but too rusty to attempt messing with.

Advance has the caliper, with bracket, for $115 with a $75 core charge. It would be an expensive project but can it be done with just the caliper and bracket? Does it matter if it's an AWD 6000 or FWD? I may just try to source the stuff from a salvage yard down south. Thanks guys.

dcjredline
05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
Funny I did a search for Rear Discs and found

http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78&highlight=Rear+Discs
With 3 pages

AND
http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?t=770&highlight=Rear+Discs
With 2 pages of info.

1995 Gold Ciera
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
You'll probably need a new brake master cylinder too. At least I did when I switched to rear disc when I had my 87 Stang.

Honestly, I like having the disc up front and drums in the back and I really don't know if a whole swap would be worth it unless you were going all out and swapping out the engine like Skalor did.

For everyday driving, your car is pretty much fine as it is.

dcjredline
05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
So are most cars fine. I wouldn't go through that mess just for rear discs on a regular A-body either.

86euro
05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Trust me, it's worth it! The only hard part is finding the parts to begin with. It's much easier to control rear brake lockup, which in turm makes for shorter stops. And best of all, there will never again be a problem with the rear brakes grabbing and skidding across the pavement at low speeds on a chilly morning.

And the stock master cylinder works fine.

Tuddi
05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
JA1 needs to be changed to JA2 .... theoretically AND logically.

In my case I would/will change everything needed to change in order to have the brakes fully functioning under the worst of conditions.
If I get a disk conversion set, I will also be changing all the brake lines from A-Z.

dcjredline
05-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah you will loose the morning lockup problems but get into the GM early rear caliper design problems, 6 for one half dozen for the other if you ask me.

1995 Gold Ciera
05-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Yeah you will loose the morning lockup problems but get into the GM early rear caliper design problems, 6 for one half dozen for the other if you ask me.

Don, you make an excellent point. This is one great reason why I love my A-body... reliable and cheap parts.

.... Wait a second, that was two reasons:lol:

What about putting more aggressive front disc and rear drums on, F14? May be less expensive and get you some acceptable results.

86euro
05-31-2008, 12:00 AM
In my experience, GM has only had problems with calipers of the cast iron variety. For the most part anyway.

dcjredline
05-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Pretty much true the ones on my Formula are alum and no probs there.