PDA

View Full Version : Strut Tower Braces

dagr8tim
06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Has anyone ever thought of cooking up some STB's to tie the strut towers together? I was looking at the tops of the struts on my 93, and they reminded me of the struts on an old Topaz I had.

If you look in the below picture, you can see the STB installed. Basically it was a long rod with holes bored and threaded in each end. Attached to the threaded ends of the rods were heim joints. IIRC, one end was right hand threaded and the other left so you could preload the bar by turning it. The ends were flat stock that were cut in a circle and had a circle cut out of them (like a doughnut). Then bolt holes were bored and tabs were welded that stood up and had a bolt hole so the heim joints could be mounted.

http://tim.midwestlost.com/albums/89topaslts/STB_Full.jpg

There was a guy in Canada that made STB's for Tempo's & Topaz's, and a similar design looks like it could work for A Bodies. Here's a link with more pics of them installed. This is from the website for the guy who made them. Ofcourse he also stuffed a 3.0 DOHC motor from a Taurus SHO into a 94Topaz. Also, here a link with more pics of them installed. This is from the website for the guy who made them. Ofcourse he also stuffed a 3.0 DOHC motor from a Taurus SHO into a 94Topaz.

http://www.tempo-topaz-performance.com/topazsho/susp03.html

I wish I still has those old STB's to use as reference to make a set for the Olds.

jinxtigr
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Sure- I made strut tower braces front and back for Fluffy ('93 Century). Square aluminum tubing with the ends hammered flat and drilled. Works fine- slightly less vague and wandery.

dagr8tim
06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Sure- I made strut tower braces front and back for Fluffy ('93 Century). Square aluminum tubing with the ends hammered flat and drilled. Works fine- slightly less vague and wandery.

Any pics?

The guy made two rear STB's. One was just square tubing with the ends cut at a 45 degree angle and holes drilled for the inner most bolts, then there was an adjustable rear similar to his front.

I'd love to see any pics you may have. I'm going to looking into recreating the STB's I had on my old Topaz on the Cutlass.