PDA

View Full Version : Content Ideas

dagr8tim
06-03-2008, 04:27 PM
As a complete GM noob, I'm at a loss for what alot of you guys take as common knoweldge.

I think it would be cool to have some parts interchangability info, maybe a quick reference of common terms related to these cars, and a more complete listing on year by year changes to the cars.

I know one of the biggest things I'm banging my head over is that I cannot find another a body with the same rims as my car has.

For example, here's the tech section for a website that deals with Ford Tempo's and Mercury Topaz's.
http://tempotopaz.com/main/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index

Also, I don't know where they found/made this chart, but it breaks down all wheels that came on a Tempo or Topaz.
http://tempotopaz.com/main/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=59&page=1

I also don't just want to whine about it. I'm willing to assist in any way I can to help submit tech articles. I'd even be willing to photoshop up a tire gallery like I posted if I could find images of all the rims/hubcaps that were offered and a bit of info about each.

CieraSL92
06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I can't stand the Topaz/Tempo.

dagr8tim
06-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I can't stand the Topaz/Tempo.

I couldn't stand any member of the A Body family until I was forced to drive one. ;)

CieraSL92
06-03-2008, 11:56 PM
It's not actually Ford at fault, it's just that the ones I still see moving are rust with wheels.

dagr8tim
06-04-2008, 12:00 AM
It's not actually Ford at fault, it's just that the ones I still see moving are rust with wheels.

You'll get no arguement from me on that one. I just cited that site as an example. I mean I looked over the glosary section and for the life of me I still have no idea what an FPR is.

I'm also scratching my head trying to figure out why I can find no other examples of Old's with the same rims I have on mine.

While I've made the attempt to atleast scan through every thread on the site, I'm still a bit confused by afew things.

CieraSL92
06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
FPR=Fuel pressure regulator.
ECM=Electronic Control module
PCM=Powertrain control module (typically OBD-II, 1996 and up)
BCM=Body control module (A-bodys do not have these, see Chrysler)
FP=Fuel pump

notsoslimshady76
06-04-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.a-body.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Check that out. That's the A-Body Knowledge Base

dagr8tim
06-04-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.a-body.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Check that out. That's the A-Body Knowledge Base

Thanks, I took quite a bit of time to look through that today and while it answered alot of my questions, I still had afew left.

86euro
06-04-2008, 03:28 AM
The difference is, there are a lot more variances between the different A-bodies '82-'96 than there are Tempo/Topaz for whatever years they made them. It would be very difficult to compile any sort list or chart or ? that is complete and accurate.

dcjredline
06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
I bet you could do it. There is a OEM wheel place that has most pictures on it. You have to look up your vehicle. I have used it to get an idea of what other 15" wheels would fit (From Pontiac) on the STE. I will post a link if I can find it again.

CieraSL92
06-04-2008, 09:11 PM
It would be nice if _we_ could add to the knowledgebase, and have others make corrections if Techfizzle added something. I kid-but seriously its a good concept.

dagr8tim
06-04-2008, 09:18 PM
It would be nice if _we_ could add to the knowledgebase, and have others make corrections if Techfizzle added something. I kid-but seriously its a good concept.

Maybe just have a forum area where we could post tech writeup's and if the admin's approved, they could move the post to the KB. I know I have afew projects this weekend that I plan on documenting and taking lots of pictures of. I wouldn't mind sharing for the common good.

CieraSL92
06-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Great idea

LordDurock
06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I couldn't stand any member of the A Body family until I was forced to drive one. ;)

why are you forced to drive one

dagr8tim
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
why are you forced to drive one

It was a joke, as meant by the winky smiley face. But to be honest, when I set out looking for a beater afew weeks ago, I was mainly looking at FLM products. I came across the Cutlass and realized it wasn't a bad car.

As time goes on, I'm starting to respect it and actually look forward to wrenching on it and modifying it.

Cutlass
06-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Maybe just have a forum area where we could post tech writeup's and if the admin's approved, they could move the post to the KB. I know I have afew projects this weekend that I plan on documenting and taking lots of pictures of. I wouldn't mind sharing for the common good.

That's what this forum is for. You can post content here and I can look at it and move it to the KB.

dagr8tim
06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
That's what this forum is for. You can post content here and I can look at it and move it to the KB.

Cool. Hopefully I'll have some info to post in the next week or so. The big thing I'm working on is a driving light installation that uses a relay instead of hot off the battery (safer), but I'm powering the relay coil from the ashtray light (since I remove the ashtray already). The lights will only be able to be turned on when the head/park lights are on, and will go off when you turn those lights off.