PDA

View Full Version : Digital Dashboard Swap?

shaeskerry
06-05-2008, 10:31 PM
When at the junkyard the other day, looking for my steering column,

I found a pontiac 6000 with the digital dash board, Now here comes my question, is it worthwhile to do the swap, what all would I need to take from the car, (wiring, control circuitry, etc.)

I think it would be cool to have it, and I can get all the stuff I need for around 75.00

Anyone have the digital dash? Is it worth my time to do the conversion?

cutlassburnin
06-06-2008, 01:43 PM
i dont know man, ive heard of alot of people having issues with the older digital clusters. Not to mention if ya ask any racer, its easy to comprehend a sweeping needle when your concentration on driving than numbers going bizzzerk in a big blur.lol

dcjredline
06-06-2008, 03:15 PM
The pontiac DD's have been VERY RELIABLE, I have 3 working ones from cars with 95k, 162k and 198k that all work perfectly.

From the 6k you will need the cluster and the little computer calculator thing to the left of the Radio. The wiring harness would make things a lot easier.

CieraSL92
06-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Wheres the other guy? The one that had sort of a piss poor attitude but did this? Anybody else remember the picture of his dash torn apart and millions of wires scattered about? He had like 11 pages on it.

notsoslimshady76
06-07-2008, 03:08 AM
It was that Fiero guy. Idk his sn, wills fiero? evil fiero? something like that

shaeskerry
06-07-2008, 08:58 AM
ok, doesnt sound to dificult so far.. now next question, this may sound very stupid, but i dont know how speedometers work, so is there something i need to install in order for it to know how fast im going digitaly? because if im correct, old cars just have a cable running, and are very analog, so hence my question, is there already something in there that will provide the speed on a digital level. I have confused my self writing this so hopefully it will make sense haha.

CieraSL92
06-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Nah, your wrong. Big time. Kidding, but seriously your wrong. Just because it has a needle and a printed face doesn't mean it doesn't use a sensor. Example: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

You have a vehicle speed sensor. And so would the digital cluster, though I'm not sure that the wiring is the same between the two. I think its pre 1988 A-bodys that have a cable-driven speedo.

shaeskerry
06-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the info, I will be looking into this in the future!