PDA

View Full Version : GM-Delco Cassette Decks

CieraSL92
06-15-2008, 01:31 AM
You know em, you love em. Used in almost all gms from the early 80s up until 96ish. You know, the ones we have in our A-bodys? Specfically the mid-level one, the one that has the AM/FM and cassette but not that equalizer just Bass and treb?

Anybody know what the wattage rating on these are?

Clarity is mediocre, bass is there and mediocre, mids and highs are fine, but on some songs it's simply not loud enough. See AC/DC Hells bells.

Jet
06-15-2008, 02:03 AM
I checked the factory stereo I removed from my car, nothing stamped or labeled on it, and no specs on it either in my Haynes manual.....:dunno:

pguire
06-15-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't know what the wattage is, but I suggest you get rid of that radio, and go the an auto recycling yard and get the GM. Delco radio with five lever equalizer on it. I did that and found the sound to be much better than the radio you now have in it. I believe this radio was top of line at that time, and is available in lot of other GM vehicles of that time. It has other good features : Am Stereo, Cassette has automatic stop for moving ahead to the the next song, And cassette ejects automatically when engine is shut off. I think it is worth changing if you want to stay with a cassette type Radio. I also suggest to change the front speakers to higher quality ones. P.M.

mickstan_VR
06-15-2008, 06:34 AM
I agree. I put the EQ radio in the VR and its much better. Don't know about wattage though. I think new speakers would make a huge difference.

Duke George V
06-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Is a newer cassette/CD player plug and play or does the harness have to be modified?

CieraSL92
06-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Are you referring to the ones that are double din? As in 98 Suburban CD with the second gen Theftlock?

Jr's3800
06-16-2008, 06:23 PM
No I think they are referring to the 1.5 Din 5 Band Eq ETR( Extended Range ) GM Delco Stereo... They were good units for their time.. And could beat up on Pioneer speakers and the like... Those old head units could sure thump for stock:)

Duke George V
06-17-2008, 04:16 AM
If you've got a CD unit in your Bonneville, Jr, that's the one I'm referring to.

Jr's3800
06-17-2008, 03:22 PM
If you've got a CD unit in your Bonneville, Jr, that's the one I'm referring to.

Nope neither of thew Bonnevilles have the CD unit... And to get one in good working order is like gold( costs just as much )...

Both of mine are the Tape Decks with the 5 Band Eq... Both have the Steering Wheel controls( the LE Bonneville has them as I added them ):)

SexySilhouette
06-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I have several early CD players and in all honesty, the 5 band EQ cassette that was originally in my 1994 CS sounded much better than the CD without a 5 band EQ. I only installed the CD player because it worked and it was one of two options my car did not have.

Jr's3800
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I have several early CD players and in all honesty, the 5 band EQ cassette that was originally in my 1994 CS sounded much better than the CD without a 5 band EQ. I only installed the CD player because it worked and it was one of two options my car did not have.

Its funny you say that... The Old 5 Band EQ Tape decks used in the 87-91 Bonneville were pretty serious for their time... I would like to have the older style head unit in the 95 Transport, but I have yet to see how to get the steering wheel controls to function with the old head unit...

I would install the 94-99 Bonneville CD Player, but I need to either cut out .50 to .75 Inches out of the Head unit opening to make the stereo fit, then mounting it would be interesting... I think the 94-99 HU is stronger than what it has for stock and does sound better as its a 7 Band Eq..

Myself and a Buddy may have to venture into this project...

Now the old head units with the treble and bass sliders and the 5 band eq, were of a slightly different design... And they could pound speakers hard.... But they always seemed to like to burn out a channel or two... Usually started with the right front... Went through 3 of these on my 91 LE Bonneville and then gave up and went to the HU for use with Steering Wheel controls...

I am just too die hard GM:)

SexySilhouette
06-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Its funny you say that... The Old 5 Band EQ Tape decks used in the 87-91 Bonneville were pretty serious for their time... I would like to have the older style head unit in the 95 Transport, but I have yet to see how to get the steering wheel controls to function with the old head unit...

I would install the 94-99 Bonneville CD Player, but I need to either cut out .50 to .75 Inches out of the Head unit opening to make the stereo fit, then mounting it would be interesting... I think the 94-99 HU is stronger than what it has for stock and does sound better as its a 7 Band Eq..

Myself and a Buddy may have to venture into this project...

Now the old head units with the treble and bass sliders and the 5 band eq, were of a slightly different design... And they could pound speakers hard.... But they always seemed to like to burn out a channel or two... Usually started with the right front... Went through 3 of these on my 91 LE Bonneville and then gave up and went to the HU for use with Steering Wheel controls...

I am just too die hard GM:)

The only thing is that I just HATE the "bubble" styling of the 94-99 GM CD players...

http://i13.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/f8/02/a641_1.JPG

They're just.....UGLY!

This is what the Cutlass has:
http://www.vikingautobrokers.com/photos/inventory/1994_oldsmobile_cutlass_convertible_03/DSCN0133.JPG

I much prefer (and have several of) this style...
http://i13.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/f7/c3/86e8_1.JPG

And this style:
http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/f4/e6/0ed7_12.JPG

Sadly, finding one of these that works is like pulling teeth...Painful.

But a friend said he put an MP3 mechanism out of a newer Delco in one and it worked. That's my next project to try.

86euro
06-18-2008, 02:29 AM
I didn't realize how many styles of CD's GM had. The one I put in my old Lumina was even different from any of those. Now, about the unit you installed in your CS, what is the original application for that style and does it also use the later style plug?

SexySilhouette
06-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Now, about the unit you installed in your CS, what is the original application for that style and does it also use the later style plug?

That's the original head unit for the car. Any 1989-1994 Cutlass Supreme with CD had it. They are also similar to the Silhouette but the Silo's had a gray face.

Jr's3800
06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
http://i13.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/f7/c3/86e8_1.JPG
Yeah finding one of these thats functional is a disaster in the making... And then to have one repaired..:( Ouch

This is the unit in the 91 LE( Had to work the Delco Lock out )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/Interior%2091%20Bonneville/HPIM1426.jpg

Not a great Pic, but thats the stock HU in the van..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jr3800/1995%20Pontiac%20Transport/95Transport110.jpg

I'd love to get my hands on a good CD player... But at $200-$400 I don't think so:lol:

a1veedubber
06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Those Delco decks are actually pretty easy to repair yourself as the insides are all modular. I have "Mixed & Matched" tuners, cassette playeres & etc on them before to get one good one. I have actually amassed quite a large "Collection" of them over the years! We should have a Delco deck picture post...I would bet that there are at least 300 different 1.5DIN Delco decks!

86euro
06-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Of all the units I have or have had, it seems they all have had at least one little difference. I would agree with your estimate of 300+.

cutlassburnin
06-19-2008, 03:42 AM
i got my pioneer for 130 bucks from best buy...kicks ass.

but be be warned...its gonna make mince meat out of your stock speakers eventually. lol

Electra_T_Type
06-19-2008, 05:53 AM
Those Delco decks are actually pretty easy to repair yourself as the insides are all modular. I have "Mixed & Matched" tuners, cassette playeres & etc on them before to get one good one. I have actually amassed quite a large "Collection" of them over the years! We should have a Delco deck picture post...I would bet that there are at least 300 different 1.5DIN Delco decks!

I usually swap belts in em. I got a bunch from the jy but I'm glad they're avaliable new from the Fiero store. The Delco-Bose stereo is suppoosed to be something else though to fix, mine was a pain alone on the belts.

white89euro
06-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Hello, your best bet on these is to pull the bad unit from your car, then drive to the salvage yard and actually test each one you pull until you find a fully working unit. I've found if it looks messed up and dirty it likely is shot, if it looks like new it probably works great. Nearly all GM cars of the 80's and early 90's will have radio/cassettes in the 1.5 size, by Delco, and will fit your a-body. Wiring changes starting about 1989 were phased in over two model years - adaptors are available on eBay so that you can use a new radio in an older car and vice versa. Audiovox also made a really nice unit that looks almost GM stock and uses the GM wiring harness thru 1989 cars. It has the deck plus buttons for the remote CD player by audiovox. Nice!

George

George

Techfizzle
06-22-2008, 05:28 AM
I never liked the old chevy trucks from the 80's to the mid 90;s they had a radio that no other radio would fit.

a1veedubber
06-22-2008, 06:04 AM
I never liked the old chevy trucks from the 80's to the mid 90;s they had a radio that no other radio would fit.

I actually like those radios! My father had a 93 Silverado that had one with a sweet digital EQ on it. Also, it integrated well with the digital HVAC controls. Now the 88 Silverado he has now, not so much....

86euro
06-22-2008, 02:24 PM
There is a mounting kit that puts an aftermarket radio where the optional EQ/cassette deck would go (below the center dash vents).

CieraSL92
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
There is a mounting kit that puts an aftermarket radio where the optional EQ/cassette deck would go (below the center dash vents).

Yeah, but then the friggin thing is so far away that you have to lean over to reach it. The a-body's location isn't much better, but ease of reach is a factor when designing a dash.

cutlassburnin
06-23-2008, 11:54 PM
yup..this is why i have a remote:lol:

Tuddi
06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Maybe that's why I grew up? 81 inches between middle fingers when with open arms.

... but yes, a remote can help those that are growth impaired ;)

Techfizzle
06-24-2008, 12:09 AM
you aint got no 8ft wingspan you ol dinosaur

Techfizzle
06-24-2008, 12:10 AM
the radio in the 90's dakota sucks with a capital S the rear speakers are muffled by the seat and the front speakers are down by your feet.

dagr8tim
06-24-2008, 12:25 AM

81 / 12 = 6.75

So Tuddi has a 6 foot, 9 inch arm span. I was always told that from middle finger tip to middle finger tip should be exact or pretty close to your height.

Things that make ya go hmmmm.......

Tuddi
06-24-2008, 12:46 AM

6' 9 1/2" to be exact.

I was always told that from middle finger tip to middle finger tip should be exact or pretty close to your height.

My hight is 6ft 4in.... so the rule of thumb .... or in this case "rule of middle fingers" is only a little off.

This should give a little idea about my size compared to average Peruvians:

http://upload.hraunfjord.org/files/AllOfUsOutsideHuanchacoChurch.jpg

Techfizzle
06-24-2008, 02:06 AM
who is that hot chick your standing next to? looks like she is about 16 or 17 just my age (16)

Techfizzle
06-24-2008, 02:10 AM
not the girl directly in front of you, the one next to her

Tuddi
06-24-2008, 02:18 AM
That would be Katia, she will turn 20 soon. She was the beauty queen in her part of the country a couple of years back.

20 - Way too old for you at this stage in your life!

Techfizzle
06-24-2008, 02:34 AM
what about the one in front of you? 13-14?

Tuddi
06-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Yes, Lucia is 14.

They will be coming to stay with us for a week at the end of July (Peruvian independence day vacations), and I'll be getting a lot more pictures taken with them. It will be their first trip to the capital, and the first trip away from their home grounds..... I insisted on them coming and will be paying their trip and whatever costs there will be having them. They are very poor economically, but extremely rich on good behaviour and kindness. I regard them as my close family.

Techfizzle
06-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Too bad I dont live in peru.

cutlassburnin
06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
dad wanted to move the family to peru back when the shit first started hitting the fan in the US. Would have been interesting. Kinda regret talkin him out of it.

Slacker
06-27-2008, 07:07 AM
*Looking at picture* Tuddi, is it mandatory to own a par of sandals in Peru? lol jk.

As for the actual topic, I've got nothing. I have the no tape deck w/ amber LED time / tuner. (Comes complete with a fade / tuner petentiometer that either needs cleaning or replaced. :)

SexySilhouette
11-06-2011, 04:19 AM
I actually like those radios! My father had a 93 Silverado that had one with a sweet digital EQ on it. Also, it integrated well with the digital HVAC controls. Now the 88 Silverado he has now, not so much....

I know I'm bring up an old, old thread but have you ever seen a 1988-94 GMT400 CD player? I has one. :D