PDA

View Full Version : FYI: If You Have a Check Engine Light With No Codes

83STE
06-20-2008, 03:28 AM
If you have CEL light with no codes, you might want to check your ECM power and ground connections. My CEL did this and it turns out the problem was caused by corrosion on the connector by the firewall. I cleaned the ECM connector contacts with electronic cleaner and now CEL is off.

CieraSL92
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
The 83 STE had an ECM? That wouldn't be TBI I dont think-you have a carb with a mixture control solenoid right?

83STE
06-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Correct no TBI, but it has a E2SE carb with the mixture control solenoid. Runs pretty well now that the carb has been cleaned out and rebuilt, considering the bad rap these carbs have.

notsoslimshady76
06-21-2008, 12:25 AM
I can't believe anyone has an 83 A body anymore. Is it a southern car? Up here, those things are ancient history

CieraSL92
06-21-2008, 09:39 PM
I can't believe anyone has an 83 A body anymore. Is it a southern car? Up here, those things are ancient history

Now that you mention it that's about what I've seen too. Anything pre-1989 usually gets a double-take, since their so rare in Massachusetts.

Jr's3800
06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Correct no TBI, but it has a E2SE carb with the mixture control solenoid. Runs pretty well now that the carb has been cleaned out and rebuilt, considering the bad rap these carbs have.

These were tricky cars... But they did have a Computer and I think GM called it the CCC System...

I believe it was Computer Command Control or something of that nature... The bad part was back in the day my dad had an 82 Buick Century with the 3.0 V6, and at the time the CCC was in its first year of production... That car was a nightmare, Nice car, Ice cold AC, But always had problems..

I think the 2.5's and 2.8's of the day ran better than the 3.0 Buick V6 did... The the ECM and Fuel injection changed all of that:)

83STE
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
These were tricky cars... But they did have a Computer and I think GM called it the CCC System...

I believe it was Computer Command Control or something of that nature... The bad part was back in the day my dad had an 82 Buick Century with the 3.0 V6, and at the time the CCC was in its first year of production... That car was a nightmare, Nice car, Ice cold AC, But always had problems..

I think the 2.5's and 2.8's of the day ran better than the 3.0 Buick V6 did... The the ECM and Fuel injection changed all of that:)

Not sure about the 3.0 of the day, but this STE runs pretty decent. Like I say bad rap because of the carb, but if it's kept clean (including the choke plate) and the filters are changed the carb is fine. The car is in NJ and has a solid body, great interior and basically all original - 73K miles. It been in the family since new. Paint is the typicial faded gray silver of the era. The 83 was the first year STE and has the Z code H.O. 2.8L LH7 motor. Surprising, but it was written up in Richard Langworths book on collectible cars.

Yes it has the Computer Command Control System using a basic ECM for engine management such as the TPS, carb mixture control solenoid, O2 sensor etc. Never a problem until now. There is a separate small computer called a Driver Information Center, which is is a graphic display of the maintenance interval items and lamp burn-out check.

Prospeeder
07-01-2008, 10:18 PM
theres 2 84-85 pontiac 6000's running around here on a daily basis. The front ends are kinda interesting, but other than that there kinda ugly, paint peeling, missing hubcaps, ect... i work in drivethrough and they sound like the 2.5

Slacker
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
theres 2 84-85 pontiac 6000's running around here on a daily basis. The front ends are kinda interesting, but other than that there kinda ugly, paint peeling, missing hubcaps, ect... i work in drivethrough and they sound like the 2.5

My '84 Celeb is my daily here on Long Island. I don't see many others, if ever, around. Usually you just see Century's and Ciera's.. but nothing really older than '87ish.

I doubt my car turns heads though. It may be rare to see an old A-body, but there's a ton of historic car owners around that would by far over shadow my car. :)

Finding JY body parts is not a fun process around here... I actually had a guy say, "We do deal with cars that old, if we get one in we scrap it." Went to the same guy for parts to my '82 Caddy Deville and he had the parts. Go figure.

83STE
09-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Yep, some parts you have to do some hunting for.

Kristopher Gerbracht
01-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Wow! It is amazing you have an 83 STE. I almost bought one in 87 but I chose not to at the time. I have two 85 STE's which both run, but then agqin, I live in WA state where there is no salt used on snowy roads. I purchased my first on in 11/88 and my second one on 11/07. It is great to hear from those who have kept their cars as long as you have. Call/E-mail Hemmings and they might just do an article on you and your car.

T5258
01-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Now that you mention it that's about what I've seen too. Anything pre-1989 usually gets a double-take, since their so rare in Massachusetts.

I'd agree, other than my STE, Ive on;y seen one other in the past year (an 85-86 STE in tough shape)....I don't get many second looks though, STE's are below the radar of most enthusiasts under the age of 35.....

Prospeeder
01-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Oooo another washington memeber coolness.

83STE
01-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Wow! It is amazing you have an 83 STE. I almost bought one in 87 but I chose not to at the time. I have two 85 STE's which both run, but then agqin, I live in WA state where there is no salt used on snowy roads. I purchased my first on in 11/88 and my second one on 11/07. It is great to hear from those who have kept their cars as long as you have. Call/E-mail Hemmings and they might just do an article on you and your car.

Yep, there just aren't many 83 STEs around, I have only seen one other one and that was on ebay. This car was rust-proofed and undercoated when new, so I think that helped the rust issue, it is a battle though. Here they started using a new liquid spray salt which they used instead of plowing the 1-2 - the street was pure white after the spray. If this is potassium chloride it will be much more corrosive, so I don't drive the STE in that or any snow - only sunny days now :D. Like I say I've got the engine/carb dialed in 95%.

I wonder if Hemmings would be interested . This is a first year STE, a Delorean era car to help save Pontiac in the 80's - so there is a story behind it. A couple of write ups in books, mags and on the web. There just is no collector interest right now.

Kristopher Gerbracht
03-30-2010, 06:52 AM
To 83 STE:

I went to price the cost of the Drivers Information Module back in 2000, and the price was $1,200 for one. So, it is very good that your's is still operational. Keep up the good work on keeping the car running.