PDA

View Full Version : I need a new A/C compressor 94 Century

John B.
06-24-2008, 06:41 PM
My mechanic informed me that my compressor is leaking and needs to be replaced. He said he'll install one that I purchase myself (he's done this for me in the past) and I've found several sources for them with really good prices. My question: there are several different brands, plus new and rebuilt. What would be the best choice for value and reliability? I see Denso, Four Seasons, AC Delco, and maybe 1 or 2 other brands. How about rebuilts? Thanks.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
06-24-2008, 07:20 PM
My mechanic informed me that my compressor is leaking and needs to be replaced....

Some folks, if it only leaks a can or two per year, just kept on adding freon.

If you are running AC in downtown stop/go traffic, you may find your compressor shoots craps sooner...need to kept the vehicle moving with AC running.

Which brand is better...I have no idea....all of them will shoot craps when high head pressure exists (downtown stop/go)....it really depends upon how long you plan to kept vehicle.

I'm not sure if GM makes their compressor, or if this is contracted out.

It depends upon your pocket book....if I was buying a compressor, I'd buy a rebuilt, with a warranty.

CieraSL92
06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Four seasons makes a decent heater core, but I've seen people go through a couple compressors before they get a decent one from them.

Denso and AC-Delco are pretty good, though the latter will typically be overpriced. The warranty is the biggest part-get one as long as possible. Theoretically, a well-designed and cared for compressor has a service life of 10+ years.

86euro
06-25-2008, 01:41 AM
It doesn't matter what brand, it's hit or miss when it comes to reman units. If you have the cash, go with new. There will be a better chance of it being quieter and longer lasting.