PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please....

SilentWing
03-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Ok, so after looking at the Trofeo (for those who are unaware it's a 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo) Luke has discovered his transmission mounting bracket is cracked. Well FML we can't find one ANYWHERE, and I mean anywhere. Not surprising, but not fun.

So I wanted to put this out there, if anyone could find one in any junkyards it would REALLY be appreciated.

From what we can tell the bracket is the same in:

Reatta - 89-93
Riviera - 89-93
Toronado - 89-92

It's part number 28 on this parts blow up diagram: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showassembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=377759

GM part number is 22112616 (though that probably won't do much good since they're out of stock across the entire nation according to a local dealership)

Seeing as though those cars are rare to begin with, I thought you guys would be our best hope. Feel free to PM me if you can help out.

Keeping my fingers crossed... thanks.

SilentWing
03-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Ok, so we're going with plan B which is to have a welding shop weld the piece back together and put some more bracing in it if at all possible. I got Luke a tig welder for his birthday last summer but we don't have a 240 volt outlet yet... and he doesn't want to practice on this piece anyway.

Still if anyone ever happens across any of the cars listed above we'd love to have an extra bracket around if you happen to find one. So if anyone does happen across one or a car that's being parted out keep us in mind.

So on top of the freeze plug we're replacing, we'll be fixing this bracket and then replacing the entire exhaust from the downpipe to the muffler over the next couple of weeks.

jlattyak
03-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Here is the Pick N Pull search and the closest one of their yards that has one is in Ohio. Not sure if anyone is close to any of these locations but though I would link it just in case.

http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx?Address=60302&Lat=41.893325&Lng=-87.781252&Make=Oldsmobile&Model=Toronado&Distance=25000

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Reatta - 89-93
Riviera - 89-93
Toronado - 89-92

Around here...rare....so, Junk Yard Dog (http://www.junkyarddog.com/)

SilentWing
03-10-2013, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the Junkyard dog link... I hadn't thought about that. Sent out a note through their system and they say salvage yards should call us directly if they have the part. Anyone happens across one in their yarding in the meantime let me know.

Turns out the mount was too rotted to save the ear. Looks like it's been that way for long before we got it so we really have no choice but to ride on it until we get another.

SilentWing
03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Update: One of the guys on a Reatta forum has the part and will be shipping it out shortly... huzzah!

babyivan
03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Update: One of the guys on a Reatta forum has the part and will be shipping it out shortly... huzzah!
Huzzah!!! (Adam Corolla)

Good to hear! I would imagine that if needed, one could be fabricated from scratch... but OEM is better if available.

SilentWing
03-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Could be fabricated, but not exactly something we could do due to the overall awkward shape of it. I'd imagine the price tag would get pretty hefty to pay someone who's good enough to do it to fabricate it.

Can you tell we've thought about that one? lol.... just glad we got one!

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Could be fabricated

Take some pics of it before installed...thx

SilentWing
03-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Ok, new mount came in today... these are two different angles but I think you'll get the point:

This one is the new mount, note the intact ear on the lower left side of the picture:
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt270/SilentWing/IMG_1681.jpg

Here's the old one, different angle, but you can see the corrosion on the aluminum, and you can see the ear missing (this time it's on the upper left). Note since there was no ear to support it for a picture I rested the old mount against the new hence why it looks a little stranger:
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt270/SilentWing/IMG_1682.jpg

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Ok, new mount came in today...

Yes, thanks for pics

It could be fabricated, but your time or $$$...if missing piece was still there, it could have been welded.

Also: use clay as a mold to pour molten aluminum into (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091125070254AAuoZye)

FOUNDRY FACTS-LEARNING LINKS (http://www.foundry101.com/archive.htm)

SilentWing
03-16-2013, 11:06 PM
It was still there, but it was about half the size it should have been due to sheer corrosion. Luke was also thinking if worse came to worse he could have made something out of metal pipe that wouldn't have been exact, but it could have worked. Unfortunately that too would have taken a lot of time to plan and figure out given our work schedules and whatnot.

That's some pretty neat info about the clay.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-16-2013, 11:34 PM
neat info about the clay.

If one could find a place where they pour aluminum locally, and you made the mold, it may not have cost much to do. Being closer to Canada, where electricity can be cheaper in hydro-produced electricity, there's a chance of it being done.

I suspect road salt is causing the issue with that mount...might coat it with something.

SilentWing
03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
You hit the nail on the head, we coated it with two layers of POR-15. Luke also noticed a rough edge from casting right by the ear that could have caused the initial crack in the metal as well so he smoothed it off before he coated it. We're thinking it might be bi-metal corrosion more than salt since the part the aluminum ear bolted to was steel. Either way better to be safe than sorry.

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-25-2013, 05:38 AM
I thought you had decided against that Trofeo.. I still miss my old Trofeo.. But I have moved on. Keep an eye on the Harmonic Balancer, they got out frequently.

SilentWing
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tip Brian. That was another member who had decided against it. We got ours fairly quickly last April since the Cutlass Supreme started dropping oil pressure. The Trofeo would be up and on the road already had we not found the gas tank to be leaking.... should have the tank tonight and it should be back up and running by tomorrow.

What year Trofeo did you have?

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-26-2013, 01:26 PM
since the Cutlass Supreme started dropping oil pressure.

Last June (2012), I bought 1989 Berreta GT (2.8 V6) with extremely low hot-oil pressure at idle. Since engine had Vroom, I dropped the oil-pan, installed standard sized rods/mains bearings, and an oil pump.

I'm not concerned about oil pressure, but it has minimum spec'ed pressure at hot idle now with 0w-30 oil, but I'm going to bump it up to 10w-30 or 5w-40 full synthetic.

It is not an oil burner, in fact about one quart per 10,000 miles.

YMMV, but if it wasn't consuming lots of oil, one can extend engine's life via new set of rods/mains, along with new stock oil pump.

Note - It's easier to pull engine and install rods/mains, but a skilled mechanic should be able to install them with engine in place if no obstacles exist

Pontiac6ksteawd
03-27-2013, 06:32 AM
I had an 88 model black out edition. All black, interior, exterior, no chrome trim, everything was black. Ran great, but the power steering pump was out, and the harmonic balancer. I did the balancer, but I gave up on the power steering pump, what a nightmare that was.

SilentWing
03-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Last June (2012), I bought 1989 Berreta GT (2.8 V6) with extremely low hot-oil pressure at idle. Since engine had Vroom, I dropped the oil-pan, installed standard sized rods/mains bearings, and an oil pump.

I'm not concerned about oil pressure, but it has minimum spec'ed pressure at hot idle now with 0w-30 oil, but I'm going to bump it up to 10w-30 or 5w-40 full synthetic.

It is not an oil burner, in fact about one quart per 10,000 miles.

YMMV, but if it wasn't consuming lots of oil, one can extend engine's life via new set of rods/mains, along with new stock oil pump.

Note - It's easier to pull engine and install rods/mains, but a skilled mechanic should be able to install them with engine in place if no obstacles exist
Yeah, we talked about that when it started dropping oil pressure. The only problem with that was, the rest of the car really wasn't worth it. The transmission was just starting to slip a bit (even with additive), the cradle had rot spots that suggested the body would only last another couple of years without major repairs, and the rocker panels were going. We had planned on driving it until the doors fell off, but if we had done that without sinking any money into it it wouldn't have been very long. If we sunk the money into it we might lose it if the body went first... and if we didn't make the choice to sell soon enough we wouldn't have been able to sell it. It wasn't a fly by night decision... just got tired of putting money into a car which didn't have a solid frame.

Brian... ours is a black Trofeo, no chrome on it outside of the wheels, no Oldsmobile on it (except again for the center caps and the interior), the only difference is ours has the dark grey interior. Luke says he checks the harmonic balance every time he's under the hood for anything.

Not sure where your power steering pump was, this one's a 92 so ours is right on top.

85_Ciera_Rebuild
03-29-2013, 07:04 PM
transmission was just starting to slip a bit

I've got a 125C transmission that has been "slipping" for several years now. When extremely cold and placed in Drive, it will not move, but it will run fine in Reverse. So, once you let engine warm up in several or more minutes, you then place it in Drive...Wait for it to engage, then go.

I do not accelerate engine...never...when it won't move...I wait some 15 seconds...no go, place back in park, and let engine idle some more.

Hence, it works fine, but if I was an idiot, I would sit there with it in Drive and massage the peddle like a fool so those bands/clutches would have a melt down.