PDA

View Full Version : :(

CieraSL92
09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Hi guys.. Here's the deal. I've been unemployed for a few months now, due to my boss at JiffyLube being a testicle with legs. I got the jeep, some of you may know, two days before I got fired. I registered and insured it the same day to the tune of $500. Then I lost my job. My savings account now officially has 10 dollars in it. That's it. I live at home with my mother, and the reason I got the jeep was because her tempo died. So, it was done, I transfered the Ciera's title to her and began my work on the Jeep.

I've finally started to come out of that slump I was in. There hiring carpet shampooers (Im still in high school, mind you) out in Nashua NH. From methuen, this is 20 miles on way. So 40 miles a day. My problem: I cancelled the insurance on the Jeep since I can't swing 210 a month with no job. Here's the deal, and it sucks, but I've been sharing the Ciera with my mom for a while (while tinkering with the jeep on the side.) She's agreed to let me use it, but I'm concerned about the longevity of the old 3300 that sits in her engine bay.

For those who don't know, its a 92 Ciera SL with the 3300 and 4T60. It has 155k on it right now, but runs like it has 7 miles on it. If I start putting on 40-50 miles a day, I'm afraid things will start goin downhill real fast. Since this is the last legally operable car we have, the engine or transmission dying would just about cripple me financially.

Any input on this guys? The transmission fluid is bright red-I've changed it twice. It burns absolutely NO oil inbetween the 3k mile changes. The radiator has developed a small leak which again awaits me getting money to buy another one. Besides that, no problems. How many of you guys use your A-body's to commute? Miles a day? Lately, she's only been seeing maybe 10-12 since there isn't really much that needs to be done at the moment. I _have_ taken long trips (Maine, Canada) and it's done fine, but I'm concerned about this.

Any input at all

thanks guys.

Electra_T_Type
09-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. I've put about 20,000 miles in the 13 months I've driven my Century and the only thing that went was the transmission and it was already on its way out. some days when I would go junkyard hunt it was around 300-400 miles in a day atleast once a week.

Slacker
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I use my Chevy to commute back and forth from school / work. It's about 20 miles there and 20 miles back. I also use it for errands and such. I average probably over 300miles a week and I haven't had any problems.

I'd say if the cars been more or less reliable this long, it shouldn't be a problem.

I stole grandma's cutty
09-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Yes I believe to be, after my family has owned several a-body's, that the 3300 is one of the most reliable engines available for this car. I have almost the exact same car as you only its a 93 and it has close to 200k on it. I've had no problems with the transmission and as long as that fluid stays nice and red I dont think you will either. As for the radiator you might try some sort of radiator patch solution that you can pour into the radiator itself. You can get it at any auto parts store and I've done it a ton of times myself. Once with a cavalier that I hit a deer with I had used this fix and it was fine until someone stole it from me about a year later.

buickcenturycoldairintake
12-10-2008, 12:21 AM
hey my 3300 buick century orginaly had 22 thousand when i got it i have got the millage up to 37 thousand no problems i abuse the hell out of it from time to time like i got it stuck in a ditch and to get it out i neutral droped it at least a dozen times still runs fine no problems i also push the speed to top and beyond no problems there either the engine and car are great

Prospeeder
12-10-2008, 12:33 AM
my 6000 went from never driving to 22k in a year put on er, lol. and its still going fine! 222,000 miles almost!

dcjredline
12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
158k this morning. And still going strong.

CieraSL92
12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
oh i forgot about this thread.

yeah 174k here and the engines going strong! transmissions getting ready to check out but we'll see.

LordDurock
12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
that motor should have some seruires life in it. don't worry.

Zaloryan
12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I have a 1990 Cutlass Ciera Base with a 3300 and a 125C transmission. At 225,000 miles, everything is going okay. My transmission has begun its plunge to death, but I added some Hyper-lube Oil Supplement to the transmission fluid. (Yes, it is suitable for automatic transmissions) Before I added it, my transmission would slip quite badly at certain speeds and the second gear switch even did not engage at one time. After I added the Hyper-lube, the transmission has run quite fine, with the slippage gone and it shifting when it needs to. I've added it over a two months ago, and I average 300 miles a week driving to school, work, and back home. (However, when the transmission finally gives out, it is completely done)

My radiator is ready to die, and its leaking. Aside from an idle problem, I don't have any issues. With about 75,000 miles on my car more in comparison to yours, I certainly don't see why it wouldn't make the daily commute.

CieraSL92
12-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah it actually made the commute wonderfully, but pay attention to the date guys. I started this thread in September 2007.

Jimbo
12-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Hate to bump an old topic, but I've used my 86 Celeb wagon as my every day driver for the last 2 years now through the most ridiculously hot summers to the worst most frigid Wisconsin winters, hauling anything and everything whenever I needed to and it's never let me down. I've put 15000 miles a year on it, you'll be fine! (I also have the 2.8 engine, but still, same idea!)

Pontiac6ksteawd
12-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Havent read the whole thread, but...

Drive it, and dont worry about it. Those 3300 motors are great motors, and will last well into the 250k miles range with the right maintence.

brp2z
12-12-2008, 01:50 AM
i work for an inventor company and drive between 20 and 50 miles one way for work depending on the store location.

i got the 3300 in mine
and purrs like a kitten
lol
and my old buick (same engine) seized up while sitting at my dads in ohio (i live in TN)
i got in it and kept bumping the starter till it broke loose
drive it onto the tailer and off the the junk yard with smoke bellowing and it still ran lmao

i wouldnt hesitate to drive the wheels off it with that engine and trans combo